Seersucker suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Brad Bowers, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Well, I got back last night from my research trip to D.C. While there, we browsed the shops at Union Station, and came across Jos. A. Bank, Clothier, who has seersucker suits on sale for $179, either two button or three button. Too bad I had spent all my money on the trip! But they do offer them on their website as well, www.josbank.com, though they're $189 online.

I was impressed with the men's stores in D.C., plenty of fine clothing which I haven't been able to find at our local stores. Very nice, but then, many men still know how to dress properly back there.

Brad Bowers

2. MK

MK Founder Staff Member Bartender

I discovered them when I was in New York in January. I too was very impressed with their store. They are having a big sale tomorrow (Wednesday).:D

3. STHill

STHill One of the Regulars

I'm very familiar with Joe Bank. Some things to be aware of:

1. Ask about their corporate discount. I'm not sure if you have to own your own company or just work for one, but if you qualify, you get an additional 10 % off every purchase.

2. Never, ever buy anything not on sale. They have some type of major sale at least every two weeks, if not more often.

3. I once heard Joe Bank referred to as a "poor man's Brooks Brothers." I would agree with that. And that's not a bad thing. Best I can tell, most of their stuff is close to BB quality, but somewhat less expensive.

I recently picked up a Brooks Brothers seersucker suit at a BB outlet store for about what Joe Bank is selling theirs for. The BB fit me better and seemed to be slightly better quality. That said, you won't go wrong with either one.

4. kent

kent New in Town

I just noticed that the Jos A. Bank seersucker is down to $169 until the 5th. I've been thinking about these things since I noticed this thread a few days ago. My big question is if it is something I'll actually wear much. I haven't really found any decently sized pictures of anybody wearing a seersucker, so I still can't quite pick out the look.

We've got a new Jos A. Bank store opening, or has opened a couple of miles from here so I'll probably swing by and check it out tomorrow, but if any of you have some pictures, I'd love to see them.

--Kent

5. BD Jones

BD Jones One of the Regulars

We just got a Jos A. Bank here in Waco as well as a Men's Wearhouse. Now Waco has TWO men's stores. :D The funny thing is that they are right across the parking lot from each other (talk about competition). We did have just the Dillard's Men's Store, but I don't really count that. Has anyone shopped at the Men's Wearhouse?

6. kent

kent New in Town

Interesting, Waco is just up the street from me in Bryan. I've been in both of the stores but never really gotten anything from them. I've never really cared for Dillards, always something about their attitude.

7. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Wow! That wasn't there when I checked a couple of weeks ago. Oh, if I only had a job.

Brad

8. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Hmm, either it's so new it's not in their database, or it's discontinued. I can't get it to come up searching by the product #, "double-breasted," or "seersucker," which explains why I hadn't seen it yet. The drop down color and size boxes don't work.

How did you find that, Matt?

Brad

9. Man, I like that suit. Seersucker patterns always make my eyes go sort of out of focus but I would be the one wearing it so.... :p
    The price isn't that bad either. I just wonder about the fit. I have a seersucker jacket---just not the pants. The doublebreasted version would make me feel less Matlocky. :p

Regards to all,

J

10. Michael Mallory

Michael Mallory One of the Regulars

Sorry, guys, but I just can't resist the old joke:

I just got a seersucker suit! Yeah, I bought it at Sears, and boy, was I a sucker!

11. That double breasted one won't make me feel that way.
    The Sears suit should be called a Searssucker---not a Seersucker. :p

Regards to all,

J

12. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

Happily, we don't have to wonder. I note they have stores in
    San Francisco and in (of all places) Fairfield. Looks well worth
    checking out. Wish I had a boater to take along...

13. Hmmm... I really do not feel like running out to either of them but that suit might be worth being hastled by bums in Frisco. I'll just tell them I gave at work. :p
    You could always do us a big favor and check it out. Let us know if it is worth the asking price. :p

Regards to all,

J

14. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Thanks for the links. Nothing says Summer like seersucker!
    I like the double breasted suit but do not have much occasion to wear it.
    I should re-evaluate my social life.. ;)

15. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Seersucker is the fabric. It's cotton, with a sort of puckered texture. I don't know if the stripe pattern is specifically part of the seersucker name. Definitely more popular in the South. Many of Jos. Bank stores in the North and West don't even stock them.

I have bought other pants from Jos. Bank, and they are quite nice. They fit me high-waisted, but I don't know if that's related to my size 42 waist or not. They are quite roomy/baggy. My pants came with braces buttons sewn into them already. If their suits are cut the same, you should be happy with them.

Boater is fine, but a Panama would work great, or even a light-colored felt hat.

The suits have been around a long time, but Matt or Root probably can answer this one better than I can.

Depends on the business. I plan on wearing it to work (wherever I am hired).

I don't see any way to order these, though, unless they are purchased in stores.

Brad

16. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

You're welcome! Hmm, my browser won't let me select a color or size, which is why I thought they couldn't be ordered online. Interesting.

Go for it! I'd much rather get the DB seersucker than their 2 and 3 button models. Heck, I'd wear DB suits everyday if I had enough of them!

Brad

17. Fuente

Fuente Familiar Face

Check the country of origin on the suits mentioned above. The BB will probably be US or Canada while the Joe Banks will be far east. The quality of fabric will be similar, unless Banks is using a Poly Cotton Blend.

If we didn't make seersucker suits I would look toward the Brooks for myself.

Rich :cool2:

18. Ok, I finally got some time and took the plunge. I ordered the double breasted in blue and white. I already have a gray and white jacket so it made sense to get something different.
    I'll let you know when I have it in hand.

Regards to all,

J

19. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

How did you order it? I can't get the webpage to work. Did you call?

Brad