Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker

hargist

One of the Regulars
It has finally happened. I've gone too far. I've been buying clothes like crazy lately, especially suits.

Wearing suits fulfill three requirements for me. First, they make me look good. Second, they make me feel good. Third, they make me stand out.

People generally wear suits only when they have to, like at a wedding or funeral, or if their job requires it. My office doesn't require it. Like most places now, my office is business casual, which basically means no tie and no jacket. But I wear the suit as a kind of fashionable rebellion against casual culture that permeates everything. Some people dress punk. I wear suits.

I go for the classic styles because they go great with hats. This preference and the fact that it is now summer has led me to my latest suit. The seersucker.

I found it at a store that sells clothing received from movie and television studio wardrobe departments. I can tell it is old and probably vintage, but I don't know what period. I do know that it came from Paramount Studios.

I got it back from the tailor yesterday and wore it home. My roommate was amazed. She said, "We need to take a walk. Do you want to go to The Farmer's Market or something?" The Farmers Market is collection of eclectic shops and a Los Angeles landmark that is walkable from my apartment. So we did.

seersucker1.jpg

seersucker2.jpg

People did stare, but I did get a compliment from a guy.

It's just so funny that when people today purposefully dress to shock, be it women wearing next to nothing, or t-shirts that say "Getting lucky in Kentucky" or something much, much more crude, that the most shocking thing of all is the sight of someone wearing something so traditional.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't be too shocked by a seer sucker suit, I see them every now and then at church (Some seer sucker dresses too!) Of course, seer sucker never left the South...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love seersucker and think you look very sharp:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I actually just bought a 3 piece suit from JCrew in seersucker, skirt, wide leg pants and a fitted jacket. I know it's not a mans suit, so it's not really relevant to you, but I like seersucker:) I have a very cute seersucker sundress that I got at Target of all places. It's one of my favorite summer dresses!!

Well, you look great Hargist:) I think more men should wear seersucker!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Seersucker (linen and Palm Beach too) were long considered unsuitable city wear in the northeast. Besides the rumple factor, they were associated with southerners, and thought of as unsophisticated.

Fletch said:
Seersucker (linen and Palm Beach too) were long considered unsuitable city wear in the northeast. Besides the rumple factor, they were associated with southerners, and thought of as unsophisticated.

You mean the old Matlock factor? :p
Seriously, I like a seersucker suit. I could see that unsuitability applying to seersucker shirts but the suit is still a suit. I never had a problem with my seersucker suits rumpling like that either and I have three or four. [huh] I guess it depends on who makes them?
I could live with being thought of as a Southerner. Bring me my mint julep its mighty warm hereabouts. ;)

Regards,

J

hargist

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
I love seersucker and think you look very sharp:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I actually just bought a 3 piece suit from JCrew in seersucker, skirt, wide leg pants and a fitted jacket. I know it's not a mans suit, so it's not really relevant to you, but I like seersucker:) I have a very cute seersucker sundress that I got at Target of all places. It's one of my favorite summer dresses!!

Well, you look great Hargist:) I think more men should wear seersucker!

Thanks Daisy.

On my walk yesterday, I saw a seersucker dress in a shop window, and speaking of J. Crew, I noticed seersucker shorts in their window. The stripes and color were nearly identical to my suit!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'd stare.

Just because I'd be wondering where you got the great suit. ;)

I do find that white shoes, saddle shoes and spectators will cause people to double take even more often than a hat or suit.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I don't wanna be pegged as anti-seersucker just because I said it wasn't very clubbable in the east once upon a time. I wear it myself, usually with white bucks and a panama. I like it because it's pleasure-loving and a little bit decadent (a white linen suit even more so). A look I particularly like is seersucker over a solid color t shirt.

Seersucker shouldn't cost a lot, but I find many of the cheapie brands don't pucker enough - the white stripes just kinda lie flat.

Especially in the first pic, hargist reminds me of Jack Nicholson in King of Marvin Gardens. The suit is undoubtedly from the early to mid 60s. It could pass for the 20s, though, especially with the high lapel roll and the flap pockets so close to the skirt. Looks like it may have been cut down from a long size.

Seersucker has always had some following in the prairie states, where I come from, because of our scorching summers and smothering humidity.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
aliados said:
Some years ago, I would occasionally wear a three-piece seersucker -- with a lapelled four-pocket vest. It drew a LOT of comments, whereas others who wore seersuckers, in the same milieu (in a NYC courthouse) went unnoticed . . .
Must be the way I wore it . . .
Either that or that NYC courthouses are poorly (or not at all) air conditioned. Anyway, the business rule against seersucker is more or less forgotten here - altho a white suit would still be a loud statement.

mike

Call Me a Cab
hargist said:
It has finally happened. I've gone too far. I've been buying clothes like crazy lately, especially suits.

Wearing suits fulfill three requirements for me. First, they make me look good. Second, they make me feel good. Third, they make me stand out.

People generally wear suits only when they have to, like at a wedding or funeral, or if their job requires it. My office doesn't require it. Like most places now, my office is business casual, which basically means no tie and no jacket. But I wear the suit as a kind of fashionable rebellion against casual culture that permeates everything. Some people dress punk. I wear suits.

People did stare, but I did get a compliment from a guy.

It's just so funny that when people today purposefully dress to shock, be it women wearing next to nothing, or t-shirts that say "Getting lucky in Kentucky" or something much, much more crude, that the most shocking thing of all is the sight of someone wearing something so traditional.

I completely agree! I always loved the classic hollywood style, but once I moved to LA from NYC I was immediately drawn to wearing the style myself to counteract the laughable unpurpose 5 oclock shadow, bought used tshirts and jeans of the ultra hip here! baaah I'm a gentleman and I oughtta dress like it hahaa :)

hargist

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Hargist... If I saw you walking around... I'd have to squee with delight! You look amazing!!

Aw shucks. Thanks Lolita. There's always the next Mondo Atomic in Vegas!

D

DBFedora

The suit looks great - like it was made just for you. Excellent purchase. You are obviously a gentleman with an eye for style that fits you well. I am particularly impressed with the confidence you emanate in regards to why you were a suit. You say, "Wearing suits fulfill three requirements for me. First, they make me look good. Second, they make me feel good. Third, they make me stand out." Excellent! I agree with you 100%. It's also a lot of fun. Enjoy your seersucker.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner