Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sendra Boots - Brand overview and review of 5 different models

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Hey folks,

First, a teaser! These beauties for <200eu new:
1675056626124.png

I have finally managed to put in the work and finish my overview of Sendra boots.

Sendra Boots - Brand overview and review of 5 different models

TLDR​

Spanish GYW boot/shoe brand. Great value for money. ~200eu new, ~100eu used. Large used market. Very large selection of models and different unbranded leathers. Can go custom as well. Would especially recommend their engineer boots. Sizing and model naming/numbering is a huge pain in the ass. Customer support is very minimal. I would say that Sendra boots are the perfect way to get into GYW boots in EU. Especially if you buy used.

Brand​

In this section I will try to give you a general idea about the brand, what it has to offer and how did I find it.

How I found Sendra​

Around 2019 I started getting into GYW boots, with the "heritage" types especially sparking my interest. From reading online and watching various Youtube videos I got to know a lot of great American made brands. Some boutique Japanese ones as well. Did some research into Indonesian boot makers (ordered one pair but never received it and lost my money, ouch!). But didn't hear too much about anything EU made. Shoes (especially dress shoes) - sure. But not boots, at least not the kind that I was interested in.
At some point I found Dundas in Norway, awesome but quite pricy for a beginner.
Some brands in Portugal that I didn't care much for after checking their products. The Walkest Gago was one contender. URBAN SHEPHERD BOOTS are also interesting..
Several obscure brands in Germany, but nothing interesting.
But then I stumbled upon Sendra boots.
Big NOTE here! A lot of what I say can be applied to Sancho boots as well I think, to me these companies seem absurdly similar with extremely similar models and pricing. But I have no direct experience with Sancho boots.

Sizing​

This is where my main warning comes - Sendra sizing horribly inconsistent.
First issue is that on some boots you will get 4 sizes written down - a "Spain" size, a "EU" size, "UK" size and a "US" size. For example 41, 42, 8, 8.5. In some cases only 3 sizes, still mentioned which is which. But in a lot of cases there is only one size, for example 41. And you can only guess whether it refers to the "Spain" size or the "EU" size.
Second issue, which is more common among brands I guess, is that the same size in different models fits very differently. This is partly due to the last used. But also because Sendra boots are explicitly unisex. From available sizing you can still still tell which models are more male which are more female. For example if the sizes start from 38 or 40, then you can tell that it's more of a male boot labeled "unisex" for show. But if they start at 34 and end around 42 then it's rather a female boot labeled "unisex" for show. 41 in the earlier category fits very different than 41 in the latter. So this push towards "unisex" is very unhelpful.
One pair of 41 engineers fits me perfectly, another pair of 41 engineers were ridiculously too small.
Be very careful with the sizing when buying Sendra. As always, best if you can try in person.

Model numbers and names​

This is also a negative/confusing aspect from my perspective. Main issue is that sometimes the model number is a 4 digit one and sometimes a 5 digit one. But on the boots it seems like always only 4 digits are marked. Even if it is a 5 digit model! For example on one of my boots you can read out 3416, but online there is no such model. You have to know that you have to add a "1" to the beginning of that and only then you will find the actual 13416 model.
The naming is also rather confusing. For example "Mighty Mad Dog Tang Lavado". Here part of the name refers to the leather, part of it to the last and part of it to who knows what. No such clarity as with, for example, Red Wing where you have "Iron Ranger", "Blacksmith", "Beckman" and you know exactly what you're getting.

Customer support​

Basically non existent apart from info about orders, shipping, returns, etc.. If you ask them anything the lasts or the leather - they have no answer or no idea. At least that has been my experience. Will not really get any help regarding the sizing from them.

Pricing​

Basically everything is around the 180-250eu price mark. Which to me sits comfortably in the "budget" category - I would not really expect a decent boot to cost less than that. But the main selling point for Sendra boots for me is the used marked. Can get a decent used pair for 50-150eu. All of the used ones that I bought were 50-80eu.

Availability used​

Here is the most important message of this whole post. Sendra boots have a large supply and a relatively low demand in the used boots Market. Which means you can snag an amazing pair in great condition for 50-100eu easy.
Personally the main places where I hunt for boots are ebay-kleinanzeigen and Vinted.
Vinted is better for Sendra boots.
I'll use Red Wing for comparison. VERY rough numbers, but you get the idea. Searching "Red Wing" vs "Sendra" listings in the footwear categories:
ebay-kleinanzeigen - Sendra ~350, Red Wing ~700
Vinted (here I will break it up a bit):
Sendra:
Women's - 125 pages x 24 listings per page = ~3000 listings
Men's - 48 pages * 24 listings per page = ~1150 listings
Red Wing:
Women's - 16 pages * 24 listings per page = ~350
Men's - 27 pages * 24 listings per page = ~650
I would like to say that these numbers are a decent example, but given how many a**holes tag their Nike/Adidas/Vans with "#RedWing" to get more views and fk up the search results - take it with a grain of salt.
But you get the point, at least in the market that is reached by Vinted - used Sendra boots are abundant in various models and sizes.

Quality​

Very Decent. Not amazing. I'd say above the price point in many cases.

Variety​

This is where the bread and butter of Sendra is from my perspective.
Lots of different styles and models. I'd say they mainly specialize in cowboy boots and harness boots. But they have quite a few engineer boots, service boots and zip-up boots and quite a lot of unique styles.

Leather options​

A lot of different options. I really like their "crazy horse" style leather with lots of pull up. Nice and waxy. All of their leather is from unknown tanneries, unclear whether it is combination or chrome tanned. Probably local Spanish leather. Some if it is very nice from my perspective.

Comfort​

In my experience all models have had very comfortable foot beds, soft to stand and walk on. That does mean shorter longevity as it's not a slab of veg tan leather. But very comfortable nevertheless. Most are lined as well.

Custom​

You can actually go custom with them! I have asked directly and got quoted ~250eu for a pair of custom boots. I guess you pick from their existing models, lasts ,soles , leathers, etc.. Not sure to what extent you can customize, but it is an option.

Review continued in next post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peacoat

Bartender

Boot reviews [by TartuWolf]​

In this section I will give a short review of each of the 5 pairs of boots that I have owned own.

Sendra 8286 - Ankle length harness chelsea boots with a cowboy heel (go figure)​

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nflfm7xr0vmwdfb/AADvwgFMDKZc1gKqWcMul82Ra?dl=0
Bought in Sweden at a shop around 2018. Cost 200eu. They fit pretty well, but small toe was getting pushed in on one foot. Worker said they would stretch and be fine after wearing enough, but that never happened, no matter how much I wore them. Tried many ways to stretch or at least flatten that area of the structured toe, but nothing ever helped. That's why I sold them.
What I liked: - First time I had this kind of heel, looked and felt pretty awesome. - Stacked leather heel and leather midsole for this price point. - Leather half sole. - Very unique toe shape. - Very cool harness accessory. Only decorative though, that's why I turned away from harness boots towards engineer boots forever.
What I didn't like: - The chelsea type locking was not enough with boots with a such a relatively heavy midsole and outsole, didn't feel like the boots were secure enough on my feet. - The fit issues that I mentioned. The toe box didn't have enough room.

Sendra 13416 - Lugged sole engineer boots​

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/19pwwy08wefi8k6/AAB8_sddZHCwQiyjt8KeaozLa?dl=0
The keepers! Bought for 70eu used. Was considering selling them at one point because the instep was killing me, but patience prevailed and they broke in enough to become my most comfortable boots up to date. Personally that's where I'm staying with Sendra boots - engineer boots. Will try to hunt down at least one more brown pair that would fit me and I'm done with Sendra boots. If you want to try engineer boots - I think there is no better value for money than Sendra. If you can manage to find ones that fit you.
What I liked: - Beatiful leather, especially on the shaft. - The lugged sole makes them extremely utilitarian and universal across various terrain. - Nice and roomy toe box, no toe pinching. - Very comfortable to use roller buckles. - Soft foot bed/insole, very comfortable boot. - Roomy enough for an insole, but don't slip around without one either. - Nice compromise between too bulky and too dressy.
What I didn't like: - The leather is died through, which is a good thing for some, but I would like tea-core black for the patina development.

Sendra 3165 - Tall slip-on roper style boots​

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxpjq4otjo7gblx/AAD_171ovMYCRMP3vICZ9egFa?dl=0
Bought these in store in Finland. Around 220eu. Still could not figure out whether the sizing is good enough or not, even when trying in person. Should have walked around in them more, not just stand around. Fits great on one foot, but too much heel slip on the other. The heel cup definitely does not do a good enough job at cupping the heel and keeping it from sliding up and down. Sold off. But the leather.. Gorgeous. And so much of it! Beautiful midsole/outsole combination as well. Great boots, would have definitely kept them if they fit better. Also strange prolonged toe, which looks very elegant while still giving enough space for the toes.
What I liked:\ - Gorgeous leather, a lot of it. - Perfect midsole/outsole configuration. - Very elegant prolonged toe box design. - Enough room for toes despite the toe box taper. - Very comfortable foot bed, nice and soft.
What I didn't like:\ - The heel cut is not curved enough - does not do it's job well enough. - Shaft was too loose/roomy for how the rest of the boot fit. Was too easy to slip them on.

Sendra 2944 - Engineer boots​

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/drdar10s9p3vv53/AAAh_UmB1Awi_R71p2ZKzQDoa?dl=0
Bought used for 50eu. There are an example of female "unisex" boots. Way too small for a size 41. Especially length wise. Very soft leather, too soft I would day, the boots collapse too easily. Interesting color though. Midsole/outsole is rather meh. Nice brass buckles. Gave them away to a female friend who normally wears 40 female boots.
What I liked:\ - Interesting leather color and texture. - Nice brass buckles.
What I didn't like:\ - Absurd sizing. - Toe box too tapered. - Leather too soft. - Meh outsole/midsole.

Sendra 10604 - plain toe service boots​

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l6l4iwkzy5rqz3s/AAClMjrzC6zkcZTfyjW0prdda?dl=0
These have the word "miles" in the name, so I'm pretty sure they are based on the Wolverine 1000 miles boots in terms of design. Lovely pull-up leather, quite firm. Lined inside. Very comfortable foot bed. Very very squeaky! Don't know why but it seems like it's the interaction between outer leather and the liner. Bought slightly oversized so that I could use very thick wool socks or a nice wool insole. Which worked out very well, planning to do the same for all my future boots. Perfect midsole/outsole combination. Stacked leather heel. Soo much to like about this boot! I still have it and wear it quite often.
What I liked:\ - Lovely leather, nicely firm. - Very comfortable. - Perfect midsole/outsole configuration. - Leather stacked heel. - Brass hardware. - Contrast stitching. - Bought oversized for "layering"
What I didn't like:\ - The vamp shape is something I'm not a fan of. I much prefer the Red Wing nr 8 last.

If the moderators think this thread format is not appropriate and that I should instead copy-paste the whole thing here then please ping me.

EDIT NOTE: I have changed the format as what you used was a bit awkward to process. Needed to use two separate posts due to the limitation on the number of characters for one post. Peacoat

Hope you enjoy the read and it is useful to you!
As always, let the discussions begin!

Edward

Bartender
Interesting stuff. @Monitor is another Sendra fan in these parts. I've been cruising their 1918 Harness Boots in recent months, though not quite yet pulled the trigger as they seem to be out of stock everywhere in the reddish-brown tone I like. Always a plus to hear another positive set of reviews. The engineers look great too; I may yet be tempted on that front.

@Edward , yep, that's me.

As someone who has had around 20 pairs of boots by Sendra, I feel that I can say @TartuWolf's review is very much on point on every point.
My first engineer boots were indeed by Sendra - Model Hurricane, 3580; Engineer boots with a side laces & conchos (see pic) - and being the my only pair of footwear at the time, I spent years in them, enough for the metal toe-cap to cut through the leather, which is when I decided to turn them into a wallet.
Definitely got my money's worth back & truth be told, I could've been a little easier on them as well but live and learn.

Anyway, I would only like to add that while Sendra makes a good engineer & service boots, they are primarily a cowboy boot followed by harness boot maker and that's where they truly shine. I feel that their engineer boots, while available in seemingly infinite diversity leather-wise, all seem to be based on the same last. Which isn't a bad thing as the boots are comfortable, sturdy and quality.
On the other hand, they've got quite a few completely different types of cowboy and even harness boots.

But yeah, model numbers are a mess & customer service doesn't exist. On top of that, Sendra sizing is so off it's not even funny. I have to buy their boots in a size EU 47 and I'm 45-46!

But regardless, Sendra makes a very high quality and actually much nicer boots than even the new price-tag would indicate. It's no wonder Saint Laurent chose Sendra to produce their famous Santiag! So I can only recommend them as well, if you're after a really good looking & not obscenely expensive pair of engineer, harness or cowboy boots.

1084376614.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Thanks for the response @Monitor

I do agree that they specialize in cowboy boots and harness boots. That's their bread and butter.
But in general they have a lot of different styles and models, which makes them very attractive with the fact that they are great value, as we both agreed.

I'm quite sure that for engineer boots they have at least two lasts. One that has more toe room and a larger toe bump (I have these and am looking for a brown pair) and one that has less toe room and less toe bump (and ones that are more unisex/female, thus smaller sizing).

I will sell my current service boots and try to get another pair of engineers.

Sometime in the future I will probably try some of their cowboy boots as well, but I'm really put off by the general pointiness of the toe box from a anatomical point of view (big toe and small toe getting pushed in).

Thanks for the response @Monitor

I do agree that they specialize in cowboy boots and harness boots. That's their bread and butter.
But in general they have a lot of different styles and models, which makes them very attractive with the fact that they are great value, as we both agreed.

I'm quite sure that for engineer boots they have at least two lasts. One that has more toe room and a larger toe bump (I have these and am looking for a brown pair) and one that has less toe room and less toe bump (and ones that are more unisex/female, thus smaller sizing).

I will sell my current service boots and try to get another pair of engineers.

Sometime in the future I will probably try some of their cowboy boots as well, but I'm really put off by the general pointiness of the toe box from a anatomical point of view (big toe and small toe getting pushed in).

Oh, you're right! The iron-toe box model is a bit different than the regular one so that's two at least. Still, they've got something like 6 different cowboy boot types. I can't even tell which is which, in some models.

But I wouldn't worry about the toes being squished together; Right cowboy boot in your size should fit you just as comfortably as any harness/service boot BUT figuring out that right size is a bit trickier than it is with regular, round toe-box pair.

You can start off with the round(er) toe-box models for cowboy boots. Something like this:
https://www.bootsbyboots.de/men/cow...ijote-cowboystiefel-chocolate-bull-fight.html

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Monitor
It's crazy that 20 pairs of Sendra boots have gone through your hands.
Could you comment on Sancho boots? I can't get my head around how similar they are to Sendra. Up to the point where I think they are made in the same factory.
I guess there are more similar Spanish brands like that, for example Mayura.

@Monitor
It's crazy that 20 pairs of Sendra boots have gone through your hands.

Some guy where I live used to own a Sendra dealership & one day, for whatever reason, just listed all the pairs he had on local classifieds, dirt cheap. I bought off everything he had in my size.

Coincidentally, my favorite pair was something belonging to Sendra's so called fashion line - Similar to the ones on the pic below - but seriously, they were the coolest, most comfortable pair I've had by them which was surprising considering the exaggerated, almost cartoony shape. The crusty leather looked cool, too. I sold them though because my ex though I looked stupid in them...

7567_sendra_barbados_neg.__2.jpg

Could you comment on Sancho boots? I can't get my head around how similar they are to Sendra. Up to the point where I think they are made in the same factory.
I guess there are more similar Spanish brands like that, for example Mayura.

I was wondering about the exact same thing but I've honestly no idea what's the story behind Sancho and Mayura. I had a pair of Mayuras, they were a bit more crude but overall, I'd place them at the same level, even though they're cheaper. Good piece of footwear in any case. Sancho is even cheaper but I have no idea how they compare.

Buffalo is another noteworthy maker & personally, I find their motorcycle boots to be the toughest of the lot & can be found cheap but you need to look for the older ones, with leather sole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch