Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

zombi

A-List Customer
super nervous...

... but excited!!

I finally ordered some patterns for myself. I bought them from this place, I hope that they are good! I figured it would be best to start with pretty simple things, like simple skirts & blouses. Most of my sewing knowledge is hand sewing, I haven't used a machine in years! But I have a girlfriend who's agreed to help me out with learning to use my grandmother's sewing machine (thanks, grandma!), so I guess I will embark on greater adventures in sewing soon.

I picked a blouse pattern that has four different ones in it, and a basic skirt I think will look good with just about anything. I bought one dress pattern, as well. I figure this has got to be cheaper & better than bidding wars on ebay lol

I hope this is the right place to post this -- I'm just TERRIBLY excited!

eta: I forgot to ask my questions, ha. I wanted to know, do you gals think it'd be easier for a person new to sewing clothing on machines/from patterns to cut her patterns up? Or would it be better for me to start out learning to trace them so I will have them later? I am unclear on which way would be better/easier for me. What do you think? I know people have their preferences on how they like to do this, but I just figured I would ask.

zendy

A-List Customer
Zombi, I always recommend tracing, no matter what. It doesn't take that long and may help getting you familiar with the shapes and markings faster than just cutting at the pattern.
:eek:fftopic: That website has some beautiful 30's patterns, but the majority of them are stupid expensive. guess I'll continue to stare and dream.

SayCici

Practically Family
zombi said:
I wanted to know, do you gals think it'd be easier for a person new to sewing clothing on machines/from patterns to cut her patterns up? Or would it be better for me to start out learning to trace them so I will have them later? I am unclear on which way would be better/easier for me. What do you think? I know people have their preferences on how they like to do this, but I just figured I would ask.
If the pattern pieces are already cut, in good condition, and you don't feel like making copies, you can use pattern weights (I get bolts from the hardware store) instead of pins when cutting the fabric.

There's nothing hard about tracing, though. I just lay out enough wax paper to cover the pattern, tape the pieces together, and trace. If anything, transferring the marks would help you get better acquainted with the pattern and all the steps you'll have to go through when making your garment.

Is sewing the skirt or blouse the first garment you are going to make, and the first time using a sewing machine?

edit: Zendy and I are like-minded. ;)

zombi

A-List Customer
Ugh, I know. I stayed out of the 30s patterns for that reason. Where else should I be looking?

SayCici said:
Is sewing the skirt or blouse the first garment you are going to make, and the first time using a sewing machine?
It's my first time using a sewing machine in at LEAST ten years. It's been a really, really long time since I've used one!

SayCici

Practically Family
zendy said:
I recommend Etsy, Ebay, and Out of the Ashes but there are tons and tons of great places on the interwebs.
Second-ing. I haven't paid over $10 yet for a nice pattern. There's also EvaDress and Vintage Fashion Library.

zombi said:
It's my first time using a sewing machine in at LEAST ten years. It's been a really, really long time since I've used one!
Oh alright, I was going to suggest maybe starting on something even simpler like an apron, because I know the first skirt I made called for a zipper.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi ladies.
Im looking to know my options with this question.

I just bought a 'new' overlock machine with a differential feed and Im wondering what are my possibilities. Ive read the manual but Im curious as to *how* I can maximize this feature. Is it solely for ruffles and elastic, or are there creative ways to use it?

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think it depends on the model and make of you machine. I know if I play with the tension on my machine it goes all wonky, but there are certain settings that do awesome things like rolled hems, which are a Godsend for working with chiffons.
Congrats on your new machine :)

Lauren

Oh, and re: the finding patterns thing- this site is great for helping date patterns- you can often go by the envelope design if you're not that familiar with period lines. Sometimes you can find patterns if you troll ebay or etsy long enough where they don't know when they're from and I've found awesome deals that way- though they are getting rarer and rarer to find these days. It really seems vintage pattern collecting took off in the last few years!
I buy mostly on ebay and etsy- and from local places occasionally like antique stores when they have them, which is rarely. Good thing about finding them at antique stores, though, is that they usually don't know much about them and I recently got some awesome 50s patterns for $5 each! Two are great evening gowns, too.
I also am on the Vintage Martini mailing list, and sometimes he has "pre-sales" for people on the list- I've gotten quite a few patterns from him come sale time, cause he usually has a pretty great selection.
The place you linked has some absolutely gorgeous patterns- every once in a while I really think a splurge is worth it- especially if you're looking for a specific style. The longer you look at vintage patterns the more familiar you get with what's rare and what's not and what's worth spending the little extra money for :)

Snookie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Hi ladies.
Im looking to know my options with this question.

I just bought a 'new' overlock machine with a differential feed and Im wondering what are my possibilities. Ive read the manual but Im curious as to *how* I can maximize this feature. Is it solely for ruffles and elastic, or are there creative ways to use it?

LD

I only use my overlock for the basics, but I've seen lots of books at my local library on this. Why not check out a stack? (it's FREE!! :) ) Have fun with your new machine!

Mirinda

New in Town
Hello!

Oh my, those patterns are so pretty! I bought a couple of vintage patterns a while ago but I don't know how to use a sewing machine :eek:

I was thinking of asking my boyfriend for a sewing machine this Christmas and learn to make my own clothes, since sometimes I find it difficult to find clothes I like in shops (I'll move to London and skirts are usually too big in the waist for me!).
My mum knows how to sew but we live quite far apart, so she could give me some basic tips next time I go there on holidays and then I'd have to continue learning by myself...

My question to all you crafty ladies is: would you recommend me to buy a sewing machine and learn by myself? Is it very difficult to make you own clothes?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long message :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
There is a learning curve, but I would personally recommed you to learn if you have a handy inclination at all. That said, I recommend against buying an Alfa sewing machine ;) (Oh and, welcome, and I love the screen name btw lol )

SayCici

Practically Family
Mirinda said:
My question to all you crafty ladies is: would you recommend me to buy a sewing machine and learn by myself? Is it very difficult to make you own clothes?
Yes! If you have time to learn and time for the hobby, give it a shot! If there are no shops around you that offer beginner's sewing classes, there are many helpful sites online and books that can explain things to you.

I personally learn better in a classroom setting, so it was helpful for me to have a teacher to explain the basics, but afterward you will always continue to learn and advance your skills on your own with each new project, so I wouldn't worry about classes if you can't find one.

The difficulty all depends on what you are making, but like learning anything new, you start at the very first, smallest step, and work your way up. Try a pillowcase, then an apron.. and keep building! Don't jump into something with pockets, sleeves and zippers if you've never sewn before!

Mirinda

New in Town
Oops, they had to move my message for not knowing where to post! What a newbie haha

Thanks for the answers, girls! It seems to get a sewing machine (not an Alfa one! ;) ) is a good idea.
I think I'll follow SayCici's advice and will try to find beginner sewing lessons: I also learn better in a class, when someone guides me step by step.

Well, now I just have to wait until Christmas (at least!) to get started :)

Medvssa said:
(Oh and, welcome, and I love the screen name btw lol )

Thanks! I know it's silly but I love how Spanish "Mirinda" sounds (and it's quite close to my real name too).

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
I recently mentioned to my mother in passing about how I was having a really hard time finding vintage dresses that were long enough for me (I'm 5'11") and that I should just start buying patterns and making my own. She pipes up, you know I know how to sew right?? My mom is a home ec teacher and it took me months of frusteration trying to find the right "real" vintage to realize, duh, just use vintage patterns! I have no clue how to use a sewing machine and now I'm getting super-personalized lessons!!

Lauren

Has anyone else here used the earlier 30s Simplicity patterns? The kind with three models on the cover? I'm nearly done with my first blouse from one of this style and I'm finding the pieces and notches don't match up like they should. Usually the other vintage patterns I've used are right on. Has anyone else encountered this? Just wondering if it's this specific time span from Simplicity or I just got a wierd-o pattern. I did want to make the skirt from this pattern as well but now I'm having second thoughts.
Here's a picture of the cover for the age/style I was mentioning.
simplicityblouse.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow, thats a lot of versatility for one pattern. There are 3 different front pieces, one for each look, correct? Maybe thats what it is, all those looks got all wobbly in one pattern and they couldnt account for all matching? It looks like just one skirt for all 3 looks. Perhaps that will be a better outcome?

In any case, pattern mismatching is crappy.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner