Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Question on the duct tape

I am so intrigued by this one. I've looked at the outline instructions that are on-line and what I can't tell is this-- when you are all taped up, do you have to let it set up for some period of time, or can you just tape up and cut yourself right out again?

Thanks-- Honey Doll

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Honey Doll said:
I am so intrigued by this one. I've looked at the outline instructions that are on-line and what I can't tell is this-- when you are all taped up, do you have to let it set up for some period of time, or can you just tape up and cut yourself right out again?

As soon as you're done wrapping everything you just cut it off the person stuck inside. (Though leaving it on and saying "It has to sit for awhile" would be possibly the cruelest prank in the entire world).

BV

Honey Doll

Practically Family
BettyValentine said:
As soon as you're done wrapping everything you just cut it off the person stuck inside. (Though leaving it on and saying "It has to sit for awhile" would be possibly the cruelest prank in the entire world).

BV

Ha, Ha! I feel just a bit silly for asking now...:eusa_doh:

Honey Doll

Snookie

Practically Family
Honey Doll said:
Ha, Ha! I feel just a bit silly for asking now...:eusa_doh:

Honey Doll

No, the instructions are confusing! They talk about a couple different kinds, and it's the plaster types that have to "set".

The fiberfill is really expensive, I thought so too. My friend suggested waiting until you need new pillows, and cutting open the old ones for the batting. I thought my husband would kill me when I suggested saving dryer lint in giant bags for this project. He has no vision...

Snookie

Practically Family
BettyValentine said:
Personally, I just serge all the pattern pieces before sewing them together. That way I can alter to my little heart's content.

I was just about to ask if anyone else does this! I used to overlock seams after sewing them, but I like being able to press seams open. It looks so much sharper than pressed to the side. And I like doing the whole thing at once, then putting the machine away, rather than moving back and forth constantly.

ricki

Familiar Face
We made the duct tape dress form for one of my friends a few years ago. We filled it with some kind of expanding foam. (A little of that stuff goes a long way.) After reading this thread, I want to make one for me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got some new patterns!! :D

Ladies!
Simplicity 3967
SUPERCUTE, its like a smock dress! I hope to have it done by tomorrow. Its only 4 peices!

Vogue 7650-40c cute sleveless shirt with a lovely collar.

Vogue 6034 cape. Nuff said :)

Advance 8761 and 8230

And a LOVELY American Designer's Pattern #1116 a cute dress.

Pics to be posted in the show us what you made thread soon! :)

LD

The fiberfill is really expensive, I thought so too. My friend suggested waiting until you need new pillows, and cutting open the old ones for the batting. I thought my husband would kill me when I suggested saving dryer lint in giant bags for this project. He has no vision...

That's a great idea! I just got new pillows and was going to throw out the old ones. Perfect!:eusa_clap

Snookie

Practically Family
ricki said:
We made the duct tape dress form for one of my friends a few years ago. We filled it with some kind of expanding foam. (A little of that stuff goes a long way.) After reading this thread, I want to make one for me.

ooh, that sounds fun too. Do you remember what it was? Was it pinable when you were done, or was it hard?

ricki

Familiar Face
Snookie said:
ooh, that sounds fun too. Do you remember what it was? Was it pinable when you were done, or was it hard?
I think it was pinnable, but since I haven't used the dress form myself I can't be sure.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If we missed anyone's question just raise your hand ;)

Yay for new patterns Lady Day!

I personally have never tried the duct tape form but my ex boyfriend's grandma did and she said it worked. The only thing I can think of is that you'd have too be careful to not bulk the tape up too much of the fit would be off... already would be probably ease included with the weight of the t shirt and the tape.

K by the bay

Familiar Face
Thanks for your fabric input, Decodoll and LD. Sounds like a new mission for the Indiana Joneses out there. "Finders of the Lost Fabric Formula". And BV is right about the scissors. My Mom once caught a friend of my dad using her good scissors to cut open a pizza box.:eek:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I followed the advice about taking rather modern patterns and here is what I´ll try when my sewing course for fall-fashion starts...

This one but with blue fabric and a white bow. Maybe I even use the fabric with the polka-dots.
http://www.burdamode.com/images/repos/1/000/001/392/000001392355

This dress. I´m not sure about what colour to take for it, but I´ll surely add some details to make it look more 40s/50s
http://www.burdamode.com/images/repos/1/000/001/374/000001374254

This cape but in a longer version. Maybe even with a skirt to match ;)
http://www.burdamode.com/images/repos/1/000/001/392/000001392337

By the beginning of November or the middle of it I might have my first piece finished to present it in "The things I made" thread. Next week we do a pillow for training. I realised I have no problems to sew quiet straight, but I´m a little scared of actually sew something real now... But I´ll overcome it cause I long so much for making pretty stuff ;-)

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I actually have a question about sewing in a sleeve cap, the easing part is bugging me. Everytime I try to sew it in, the dang thing puckers in the seam. Tips? Also... how do I got about adding ease when the shirt fits the man like a sloper? Its the biggest and coolest retro looking pattern I could find. And he has trouble finding shirts that fit. I thought about using my Lutterloh system to make a shirt that would fit him better and using the design attributes from the McCall's pattern and adding them? Would that work?[huh]

Also, there's this terrific site with old books published online all about sewing. I love them http://vintagesewing.info/

I tried the duct tape form, but my form came out about an inch around bigger than me on my waist and hips, and smaller in the bust area. I have since changed measurements since then as well, so it's useless to me now. I've gotten thinner.

Snookie

Practically Family
humblestumble said:
I actually have a question about sewing in a sleeve cap, the easing part is bugging me. Everytime I try to sew it in, the dang thing puckers in the seam. Tips? Also... how do I got about adding ease when the shirt fits the man like a sloper? Its the biggest and coolest retro looking pattern I could find. And he has trouble finding shirts that fit. I thought about using my Lutterloh system to make a shirt that would fit him better and using the design attributes from the McCall's pattern and adding them? Would that work?[huh]

Re: sleeve cap: are you sewing a couple rows of easestitching to the cap of the sleeve before putting the sleeve and the shirt together? An easestitch is done just like a gathering stitch, but since they serve different purposes they get different names.

How To: set your machine on its longest stitch length. Sew two rows of easestitching in the seam allowance of the sleeve cap, being careful not to cross them and not to backstitch(if you have 5/8" SA, sew at 1/4" and 1/2", for example). Leave the thread tails long. Gently pull on the bobbin threads to gather up the ease, and pin sleeve to armhole, being careful to distribute the ease and avoid puckers. Slightly more ease should be at the back of the armhole, because your deltoid needs more room, and no ease under the arm.

Re:sizing. I don't know anything about the Lutterloh system, but it sounds like it might work. Men's shirts are pretty similar to each other. You could also "slash and spread": trace a copy of the pattern, draw horizonal and vertical lines across it and cut apart. Spread the pieces apart the amount you want to increase, and tape to a new piece of paper. You probably want to add more girth than length, so make more vertical lines (from shoulder to hem). Maybe 3-4 total, across the shirt (you can't add it to the side seam or you'll end up with giant armholes). 1-2 horizonal should do it. You'll also have to adjust the sleeve and collar if you make the armhole/neck bigger.

I can scan a diagram if my explanation is too confusing.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks :) I just bought some books on fitting, actually 3 of them I believe. I hope those help me. Sewing the sleeve doesn't seem too difficult now, I have a few things to play around with. And actually, when I did the basting rows, I was sewing the two layers of fabric together as I did them, so that didn't quite work...I will try the right way soon - on just the sleeve cap, and then try sewing that to the armhole. I will see if that works. I also read something about using a serger and the differential feed to ease it, so I might try that and also the crowding technique once more. I'm sure I'll get it with practice. Thanks so much for your input!

And I understand about the slash and spread thing. My only issue with that is that I believe the shoulder width is fine on him, but the armhole is too small and it needs more ease, so I guess I might make his shirt more of a bell shape than a rectangle by slashing and pivoting, I suppose? Then, maybe making the armhole deeper, possibly using an existing shirt.

If all else fails, I'm going to try the Lutterloh system and add design features (well, try to anyway). However, I really am interested in learning couture techniques, alteration and pattern adjustment. I don't like shortcuts, although they might make me feel better. I think that doing things the more difficult ways will help me in the long run.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Have any of you ladies used the Wild Ginger patternmaking software? I have generated a couple of patterns from it, but haven't actually had time to get any farther than that. Anyone who has tried it, what did you think of it?

--Leslie

Snookie

Practically Family
humblestumble said:
And I understand about the slash and spread thing. My only issue with that is that I believe the shoulder width is fine on him, but the armhole is too small and it needs more ease, so I guess I might make his shirt more of a bell shape than a rectangle by slashing and pivoting, I suppose? Then, maybe making the armhole deeper, possibly using an existing shirt.

If all else fails, I'm going to try the Lutterloh system and add design features (well, try to anyway). However, I really am interested in learning couture techniques, alteration and pattern adjustment. I don't like shortcuts, although they might make me feel better. I think that doing things the more difficult ways will help me in the long run.

If the shirt is just slightly too small and you need bigger armholes, try drawing a line from the armhole to the hem and open it the whole way (don't forget to do the front AND the back!). You could maybe get away with opening it as much as 3/4"? Your total armhole increase would be 1.5", and the total garment increase would be 3". When you spread, don't pivot, but open it the same amount from top to bottom (no bell). You'll have to change the sleeve, too; in my example you have to add 1.5" to the sleeve cap. AACK! Sounds complicated! Your guy is lucky, that you're so determined!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
RaasAlHayya said:
Have any of you ladies used the Wild Ginger patternmaking software? I have generated a couple of patterns from it, but haven't actually had time to get any farther than that. Anyone who has tried it, what did you think of it?

--Leslie

Have not tried it, but I have heard rave reviews from a friend who has tested a ton of patternmaking software, and she swears by Wild Ginger. I have the free program and have printed something out, but have not made anything. I've heard it is marvelous. My friend says it's the best out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy