Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Miss Neecerie said:
Ok...my addition..

Ideas for inexpensive dress forms? I need to start actually having something like me so i can do a better job fitting and perhaps not be frustrated when everything turns out not quite right....

so sources, ones to avoid? things to look for....? I have read the Threads article on them, but some personal experience would be good...

I am a size 14-16 currently and hoping to be a bit smaller but probably wouldn't be smaller then a 12 at best, based on bone structure....so i need a bit of adjustability....

I am in the exact position as you Miss Neecerie. I am the same size and am trying to get back to a 10/12. I have lost 10lbs and 2" so far in my waist. There are so many cute dresses in the 28-30 waist size on ebay it drives me nuts.
I am looking for a dress form too, and saw the duck tape info online last week. I'm really not fond of that since it tells you it isn't as accurate as a purchased form.
I really like the look of the Uniquely You form but it isn't adjustable so I am still searching for a good adjustable.
If there is anyone else that has recomendations on a brand (not super expensive) please post!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't really think they're the best thing ever, but I got adjustable dress forms from joann.com when there were 40% off coupons. I think it put them at about $100.

As far as sewing being expensive- it is if you're going to make it out of quality materials. But you gotta think of it this way- you're paying for a hobby and a wardrobe. And even with better fabrics it's still much cheaper than buying reproduction vintage dresses- and in my opinion better for everyday wear than authentic vintage because it's new and the life span will be longer- and you don't have to worry about stains, tears, etc- because hey! you made it and can make another! Not like that one of a kind authentic vintage dress.

When it gets being really expensive is when you get into stockpiling fabrics and patterns- it gets to be a very expensive addiction.

Here's what I do to cut my sewing costs:

*Sign up for Joann and Hancock newsletters and browse them for the 40% off clearance fabric sales. You often end up getting fabrics with a vintage feel (including those cute cotton feedsack prints) from $1-$3 a yard. They also regularly have 40% off coupons for one cut of fabric or a notion.

*Browse newspapers for Estate Sales on Fri-Sun. Lots of old ladies sewed and never threw out their notions. It's a great place to pick up bags of zippers, bias tape, rick rack, hooks and eyes, and needles and pins on the cheap! Often there's also bags of fabric or yardage, and sometimes patterns. And don't discount it if it looks all crafty- sometimes the same notions carry on into dollmaking and quilting :)

*Make a seasonal jaunt to your local discount fabric shop or garment district. I know I'm spoiled because I live within driving distance to the one in Los Angeles. You can get silks from $4-15 a yard- what you pay for polyesters at Joann! There's dollar stores, and a personal favourite of Neecerie and mine- the by the pound store in the Attic at Michael Levines.

*Buy patterns when they're discounted at Joann or in lots on Ebay. Sometimes you get some in vintage lots that are missing pieces, but even then it ends up being cheaper than buying individual patterns. You just have to have the patience to count through the pieces yourself.

*On thing I NEVER skimp on is thread. Gutermann thread is my favorite. You'll be amazed at the difference in your sewing and your machine's performance if you use good thread and oil your machine regularly. Your local repair shop will sell the oil and show you how to oil it. Oh, and make sure you change your needles regularly. Sharps for thin fabric, universal for regular, and heavyweight or strong for denim and wool.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I don't like using adjustable dress forms. I just find them really unpleasant to drape with. I'm told you can get them cheaply, though. I don't know; I was looking at Joann's and I figured that I could get one for 200 including shipping (There is not a Joann's near me), but I think I could get a real form for about $500, and I'd really rather save for something permanent that I can use forever. (Pretty much the same way I feel about dropping $40 on Ginghers v. $10 for craft scissors).
I do prefer my duct tape form to the adjustable ones. It matches my dimensions and is easier to pin on. Neither look good in the apartment, but the duct tape form will hold me over until I can manage to acquire a real one.

If you're a student you should visit your school's costume shop. They can order Ginghers at half price. (Also, don't ever touch another sewer's scissors without asking first. They go *crazy*.)

Sewing is *really* expensive, but Lauren is absolutely right about it. It is a hobby *and* a working wardrobe. It can also be really addictive.

Lauren

I'm in agreement on the adjustabe forms. I spent a fortune on it, but my Wolf form was the best investment I ever made for drafting my own patterns.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
make one out of duct tape...seriously.
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp
t00002_02.jpg
I'd hate to think how it feels when it's got to come off :eek: lol

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Lauren Henline said:
I'm in agreement on the adjustabe forms. I spent a fortune on it, but my Wolf form was the best investment I ever made for drafting my own patterns.

:eek: You just said Wolf! I'm so envious. What model did you get? Did you order it new or were you lucky enough to find one used. (Oh wow. I just went all raving fangirl, didn't I?)

I'm really not kidding. I was thinking about dress forms when I went to bed and last night I dreamed that someone gave me a full-body Wolf form. I almost cried when I woke up this morning and realized it was a dream.

Apparently it is literally my dream to have a Wolf form someday.

Lauren

BettyValentine said:
:eek: You just said Wolf! I'm so envious. What model did you get? Did you order it new or were you lucky enough to find one used. (Oh wow. I just went all raving fangirl, didn't I?)

I'm really not kidding. I was thinking about dress forms when I went to bed and last night I dreamed that someone gave me a full-body Wolf form. I almost cried when I woke up this morning and realized it was a dream.

Apparently it is literally my dream to have a Wolf form someday.

I got the evening model- the one designed for weddings and eveningwear. It was one of the first things I ordered when I started designing- and even though my bridal career wasn't that successful I still have the form which is nice because most of what I drape is still eveningwear anyway :D

The only thing that sucks is that it is in a size too big for me- I wanted a somewhat standard size so I could find models- so now when I drape I then have to grade them to my size!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jivin4Java said:
:eek:fftopic: Has anyone purchased vintage fabric from www.rickrack.com? They seem to have some nice prints, but those prices scare me away. :mad: Are those prices accurate or at least in the ball park for vintage fabric?

~Jenn~

I wanted to, but their prices are just out of this world. There are some GREAT discount fabric stores here in the citay, and I usually go to those. The thing is, most vintage dress patterns use a min of 3-4 yards of fabric, (crazzzzy!) so there goes an easy $100 for the fabric and notions if you purchace from that site! Altho I might splurge one day :rolleyes:

Does anyone here sew with acrylic, you know, the tofu of synthetic fabric? It can mimic anything, but breathability :) What was your success with it? Any recomendations? Or should I just stick with cottons and such (that I love)?

LD

Jivin4Java

New in Town
CherryRed said:
Have you tried ebay? I have gotten some great deals on vintage fabric that way and have paid much less per yard. They do have cute prints.
Also check out http://equilter.com/
They have wonderful reproduction prints and a nicer price.

Thanks for that link! I have spent the last hour or so looking at all the prints. Lots to look at...need more time and coffee to keep me going.:eusa_doh:

Snookie

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
I'd hate to think how it feels when it's got to come off :eek: lol

Heehee! It actually feels great when you take it off, b/c you can BREATHE again! My husband helped me make a duct tape form last fall, and it turned out decently. The great things are the price and being able to easily make a new one if you change size. I never did manage to make a stand for it though!

Make sure you're feeling up to standing still for 2-3 hours before starting on this project. Or not being as picky as me about the fit (your body can get compressed out of shape while the tape's going on if you're not careful.)

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Those pictures of duct tape remind me of the time I made my own corset. (Fancy corset for New Years Eve, with a pencel skirt, not waist training corset) There were instructions online on how to make your own pattern, by wrapping duct tape all around your waist and chest area. Then cut it off and cut the "duct corset" in half, pick one half to use as the pattern, then cut that into the desired pieces. It turned out great and fit like a glove.

Snookie said:
Heehee! It actually feels great when you take it off, b/c you can BREATHE again! My husband helped me make a duct tape form last fall, and it turned out decently. The great things are the price and being able to easily make a new one if you change size. I never did manage to make a stand for it though!

Make sure you're feeling up to standing still for 2-3 hours before starting on this project. Or not being as picky as me about the fit (your body can get compressed out of shape while the tape's going on if you're not careful.)

If I can convince my DH to help me that long I may give this a try. I just hate buying one until I am closer to the size I want to be, and right now I size at the low end of a medium so it would be useless to buy that if I don't stay that size.
Thanks for the feedback from those who have actually made this thing.:)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
My fiance and I did mine awhile ago. He just has to be careful not to cut the bra off while cutting off the form. I find it works best if you go over the hips and below the rear end.

We stuck that one on a big length of PVC pipe to make a stand for it, but we never did find out how to get htat to stand up. We should have just used a bigger pvc tube and stuck it in an xmas tree stand, I think.

Rosie

One Too Many
Ikea has a great 10 dollar lamp, you have to go to the store to get it, not available online. I bought the lamp years ago and when I came across the duct tape form I thought the lamp base would make a great stand but haven't made the form as of yet.

BettyValentine said:
My fiance and I did mine awhile ago. He just has to be careful not to cut the bra off while cutting off the form. I find it works best if you go over the hips and below the rear end.

We stuck that one on a big length of PVC pipe to make a stand for it, but we never did find out how to get htat to stand up. We should have just used a bigger pvc tube and stuck it in an xmas tree stand, I think.

Did you stuff the inside of it to keep it firm? If so what did you use?
I think I will wear my Rago all in one under it and have him cut from the bottom up so he doesn't cut into it.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
CherryRed said:
Did you stuff the inside of it to keep it firm? If so what did you use?
I think I will wear my Rago all in one under it and have him cut from the bottom up so he doesn't cut into it.

We stuffed it with polyester fiberfill. We got huge bags of it very cheaply at Dan & Whits (Weird place near my college. It carried everything from cattle feed to deer salt licks to PVC to .. yeah, everything.) It seems weirdly expensive now, though. $10 a bag? I don't know why it's that expensive around here. We used a lot and just crammed as much as we could into the shell.

It gets *really* hot while you're being wrapped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran