Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pants- ugh. love and hate. I have my eye on a pattern but it does not fit me- has anyone had much luck with just adding inches to the outer seams to fit and does that work well. Can it be that easy? *hope*

I know "only one way to find out" but id like to save myself the hassle if someone has been there and done that and think nonono.

Check out this article from threads magazine. I found it pretty useful.

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have done it with both a slim leg late 50's/early 60's capri and a wide leg 40's trouser. Both of which required nothing but 2in added to the side fronts and backs. As with any grading, make a muslin first. I'm short, so I didn't need to add any length to the leg or crotch depth, so YMMV.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I would like some opinions, ladies. I'm considering making these 1930's beach pajamas in sweatsuit/tracksuit material for the jacket and pants. Would this be just as horrible as a regular modern sweatsuit/track suit?
6109.gif

Tatum

Practically Family
I would like some opinions, ladies. I'm considering making these 1930's beach pajamas in sweatsuit/tracksuit material for the jacket and pants. Would this be just as horrible as a regular modern sweatsuit/track suit?
6109.gif

LOL! I dunno, Kamikat... I tend to think that since the lines would be completely different, it would look nicer. I would be so curious to see the final project!

HepKitty

One Too Many
6109.gif

kamikat I think you could make a potato sack look like an evening gown :)

crwritt

One Too Many
6109.gif

I'm not sure what fabric you have in mind, sweatshirt fleece may be too heavy but nylon or poly knit or cotton spandex should drape nicely.

crwritt

One Too Many
NIcole ann
To dye something orange to black, you will need to add blue dye (opposite of orange on the color wheel)
and also the black dye.
The Rit Dye website has instructions and tips, http://www.ritdye.com/
also when dyeing wool there is a certain point where you
need to add vinegar, to set the dye, not at the beginning, but about 5 minutes into the process.
If they are truly wool, they will take dye. If they turn out to be synthetic, there is dye made for polyester
and nylon now called I-dye poly http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5590684-AA.shtml?lnav=paints.html

Hope it helps you achieve black pants!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Does anyone have any advice for me on adjusting the tension on my sewing machine? I just went through the manual and honestly it didn't really say much. I know the tension is off but ...... I may run down to sears (were I bought it and see if they can show me on a model). Hope they arent put off by the pin curls or the bandana wrapped around them :eek::rolleyes: by the way these new emotions really are terrible.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Does anyone have any advice for me on adjusting the tension on my sewing machine? I just went through the manual and honestly it didn't really say much. I know the tension is off but ...... I may run down to sears (were I bought it and see if they can show me on a model). Hope they arent put off by the pin curls or the bandana wrapped around them :eek::rolleyes: by the way these new emotions really are terrible.

All fabrics are different so before I start I test on scraps to make sure the tension, stitch length, and needle are right

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
No I was working on a muslin and normally I know were to set the tension for muslin but it kept getting loose on the bobbin side
I just couldn't figure it out.
So when my husband got home from work I asked him to look and we found the problem was with the bobbin not the tension.
Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes.
thanks ladies

Last edited:

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
NIcole ann
To dye something orange to black, you will need to add blue dye (opposite of orange on the color wheel)
and also the black dye.
The Rit Dye website has instructions and tips, http://www.ritdye.com/
also when dyeing wool there is a certain point where you
need to add vinegar, to set the dye, not at the beginning, but about 5 minutes into the process.
If they are truly wool, they will take dye. If they turn out to be synthetic, there is dye made for polyester
and nylon now called I-dye poly http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5590684-AA.shtml?lnav=paints.html

Hope it helps you achieve black pants!

ohh my gosh that makes so much sense, about adding blue. okay, thank you so much im gonna try it out :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Ok question about armholes. I am working on a muslin of a blouse, I worked on one last month that I did not end up following through on with some good fabric because I just didn't like the pattern. Neither of the patterns said to stay stitch the arm hole before putting in the sleeve. My friend told me I should always do this. So my question is do you stay stitch your armhole before attaching your sleeve?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think it depends on the fabric. If it's woobly or has a loose weave I will, but if it's just a cotton or something that retains it shape decently well I just go for it without staystitching. :)

BoPeep

Practically Family
ditto what Lauren said. I usually have good luck easing in cotton sleeves. I staystitch if I notice the fabric is warping too much just through normal handling.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I would like to bind my seams in my next project, hong kong style preferably. I've made bias tape in a blue satin (?) and I'm not really happy with it. Can I use ribbon? The kind that comes on big rolls for crafts and gift wrapping. I've thought of using the bias tape sold at my local store but they don't have anything shiny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot