Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I had my first sewing lesson today!

This dress
cottonsundress5.jpg=600

had some seam splits so I reinforced the seams. My mom told me how and I sewed two straight seams all by myself! Yay! :eusa_clap

Snookie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I had my first sewing lesson today!

This dress
cottonsundress5.jpg=600

had some seam splits so I reinforced the seams. My mom told me how and I sewed two straight seams all by myself! Yay! :eusa_clap

What a good way to start sewing! You get the simplicity of a simple project, and the satisfaction of a finished garment. Wish I could discipline myself to repair clothes too...

Kimberly

Practically Family
I agree Pink and I am actually doing the same exact thing. I did it this weekend with a blouse and found it so relaxing and hand sewing puts me in a meditative state I can't describe with words.

I have quite a lot more to do, but find that I procrastinate even though I enjoy it. I like doing it on a Friday night while watching an old movie.

badleekitty

New in Town
Okay! I have been really wanting to learn how to sew for sometime now. But I never had time to actually get down to learning with work and taking care of my kids. Now that they are getting older I am finding I have more time to myself so I am going to finally take a sewing class. I would like some opinions on what type of machine I should buy. I know from previous post alot of you recommend a brother model which I am planning to get but I just don't know what model I should get. I don't want to spend too much but I do want one that is pretty simple and not all all computerized. I do want one that is good to start with and one that I will be able to progress with. I would like to start with making simple stuff and progress to making some nice vintage dresses later on. So does anyone have any recommendations on what type I should get. I was looking at Walmart.com and I see that they have alot of different ones that are not that expensive but I just don't know which would be right for me...Can anyone help me out??? Any suggestions would help me out alot...thanks

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well,congrads on the sewing class :)

As far as machines go, Id reccomend a brother too (I have an older singer but my Mama used brothers). Stick within the $200-400 range, for a nice beginner/intermediate machine. Id also recommend buying from a sewing machine store. Some will let you try out the machine and see if its something you like. That way you have a bit of support if something goes a rye.

Good luck.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
I second LD's recommendation of buying from a sewing store. They can help you decide what's best for your needs, they might have an upgrade program if later you decide you want a better model, and they will probably offer free classes to teach you how to use your machine. They might even offer other sewing classes, if you haven't found any yet. Good Luck!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
That type of dress is really common right now, all the big pattern companies have them, just go check out their websites and have a look.
Hmm, I've been looking but I can find one that is the same. I'm still a new sewer so I don't want to modify the wrap patterns I already have too much. If no one know's where I can get a pattern that has the back wrap style, does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify a front wrap pattern to wrap around the back and fit well in the front?

anabolina

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
Gotcha. Give me a few here and I can see what I can find. You don't like the neckline, what kind do you want? I know I have one that's still available with a V-neck, ties in the back, and looks like that...but may not be what you want.

Wow, It's like you're in my head. That would be perfect.It's still available, does this mean you sell patterns online or is it part of the swap or something? Thanks :)

BTW Butterick patterns go on sale today for .99 at Hancocks. I think it lasts a week, but don't quote me on that.

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
I've dug out my machine...

It's been years since I've sewn anything but I found my machine in the loft (thought I got rid of it actually, so I was very surprised to see it)

I made a skirt last weekend, and now I think it's time to try my hand at a dress.

What vintage style dress would you ladies reccomend for a first try in years?

I need something that is relativly simple, I'm not too picky on the era as long as it's beteen 1920 - 50. I've never followed a vintage patttern before - I assume they are not that much different to follow from a modern one, just the size would need to be looked at.

So whatever you could suggest - vintage or modern pattern I'd be really happy with some advice.

Cheers,
Vanessa

Elaina

One Too Many
Sorry, I've had the flu all week, so I haven't had a chance to find the pattern (it's harsh, it's in a box I an barely lift).

No, I don't sell them, I have a photographic memory, and I run across things occasionally. I know exactly where I've seen it, it was a magazine pattern, but I'm trying to see if I can find one close to it so you can go get it for a buck or two.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanessa Anne said:
It's been years since I've sewn anything but I found my machine in the loft (thought I got rid of it actually, so I was very surprised to see it)

I made a skirt last weekend, and now I think it's time to try my hand at a dress.

What vintage style dress would you ladies reccomend for a first try in years?

I need something that is relativly simple, I'm not too picky on the era as long as it's beteen 1920 - 50. I've never followed a vintage patttern before - I assume they are not that much different to follow from a modern one, just the size would need to be looked at.

So whatever you could suggest - vintage or modern pattern I'd be really happy with some advice.

Cheers,
Vanessa

Id reccoment a basic shirt/ house dress. The patterns are fairly simeple (and cheap). They were big in the 50s. A good cotton would work great. And you can glam it up woth trim, a nice belt and great buttons :)

Good luck!

LD

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Cheers,

I'll go down to the market and pick up a pattern from the sewing stall this week. I think I'd be able to find a modern shirt dress pattern especially as they are very popular in all the clothes shops at the moment.

Cheers!

Vanessa

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Re-sizing patterns

This weekend, I ran across an antique shop that had a collection of wonderful patterns for an amazing price. The problem, you ask?

They are all very small. They had a variety between 29 inch and 32 inch bust. I wear a 36-38 bust. I know it is possible to resize patterns, but is it possible to resize them up that much?? I know I had some difficulty trying to resize a pattern up one size (I had a hard time with the darts), this would be around 3-6 sizes.

Is it possible? Does anyone know how to do it?
If this question has been asked before, I apologize.
Thanks!!

Joie

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I resize all my patterns. I have yet to find a nice pattern i love that fit a modern size 18 :eek: So when I buy a pattern, I rarely pay attention to size, unless its like a 30 bust, then I pass.

Its mainly a trial and error thing. Sure there are calculations you can devise with that partcular pattern and its size, but you also have to take into account how it is supposta drape, and not completly the size of the pattern piece.

I redraft the pattern, sizing up the crucial areas of the bust, waist, arm holes, and arms. The neck is generally alright, but then again...

I then cut out a mock up out of junk fabric/muslin/old bed sheet (include facing pieces in mock up, you may have to resize them as well) and baste stitch it. If it fits, hazah! If not, I can take it a part real quick and alter the pieces. Once I like the fit, I then take it apart and trace it out and I have a custom pattern all for me :)

Yeah it cam be a lot of work, but its worth it.

LD

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I redraft the pattern, sizing up the crucial areas of the bust, waist, arm holes, and arms. The neck is generally alright, but then again...

LD

Thanks for the guidence Lady Day.

Sorry if I am a slowtop, but I want to check that I understand what you mean by redraft. By this, you mean you recreate the pieces adjusting for size, using the original as a guide, but enlarging as needed? So kinda tracing but bigger?

And do you have any suggestion on darts? Should they be from the same starting point and wider, or deeper and the same width??

I'm such a newbie :eek:

I'm glad to know it's possible though. This shop had a big box of wonderful patterns for $1 each!! :eek: I just wanted to make sure it was possible to do before investing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic