Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I live in a totally different climate than you, I suspect ;) so my experience on the matter won't help much. It's never humid here and rarely gets over 85F (it hasn't gone beyond the low 60s this year yet). I do find when I sleep in silk garments compared to nylon or acetate that I don't get as clammy, though cotton is probably the best.

Maybe try one in a super-light cotton like batiste and another in silk? And having one that you can wear without ironing made of nylon is handy. I think I've got over a half-dozen slips now and I use them all. I found the slip I made went together really fast - in about a day, and I'm slow (I reviewed the pattern a few days ago on PatternReview).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Laughing Magpie said:
I live in a totally different climate than you, I suspect ;) so my experience on the matter won't help much. It's never humid here and rarely gets over 85F (it hasn't gone beyond the low 60s this year yet). I do find when I sleep in silk garments compared to nylon or acetate that I don't get as clammy, though cotton is probably the best.

Maybe try one in a super-light cotton like batiste and another in silk? And having one that you can wear without ironing made of nylon is handy. I think I've got over a half-dozen slips now and I use them all. I found the slip I made went together really fast - in about a day, and I'm slow (I reviewed the pattern a few days ago on PatternReview).

You're probably right. Even now, with it only being 70F, it's humid enough to sweat even though I'm actually chilly. From early-mid June until mid Sept, it generally stays in the 90s, with several days hitting 100, not to mention the 90% humidity.
Batiste slips work well with clothing that isn't cotton. Almost all my summer clothing is cotton and they stick together.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is that a full circle (like the pic above) or a half circle?

Circle skirts are more difficult than most think they are, and I wouldnt do a full circle skirt as your first project. Its the hem that gets people most of the time, and they can be a doozy if you make a mistake in cutting.
Many here have suggested aprons, or an A line skirt, which I think are good starter projects.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

LD

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
Is that a full circle (like the pic above) or a half circle?

Circle skirts are more difficult than most think they are, and I wouldnt do a full circle skirt as your first project. Its the hem that gets people most of the time, and they can be a doozy if you make a mistake in cutting.
Many here have suggested aprons, or an A line skirt, which I think are good starter projects.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

LD

I don't know the difference between a full circle and a half? :eek:
I made an apron a couple of weeks ago and want to try making some clothing now. An A line is like a pencil skirt right? If so I think that would be too hard for me right now due to the very large difference bewteen my hips and waist.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An A line skirt is shaped just like the letter 'A' Slightly flared, no gathers. Maybe a dart here and there. :rolleyes:

The difference between a full circle skirt and a half circle is twice a much fabric. On that link you posted, there is a full circle (when laid out it makes a complete circle flat on the floor) where as a half circle is a lot of fabric, but, well, half that of the full.

LD

Inky

One Too Many
A pencil skirt is generally straight up and down, usually with a slit or pleat to allow for walking.

An a-line is like the shape of a capital "A."

A full circle is like a "O" if you laid it out with the waist opening in the middle. A half-circle is half of that. I made a half circle with a free pattern from burdastyle that might be good for you to try.

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/22

You can print it at home and tape the pages together, kind of a hassle but not bad (and sort of free except for paper and ink and tape!)

and although there is WAY more information here than you want (or need as a new sewer!) you can look at the diagrams and see lots of different skirt shapes:

http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-08.html

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I am very sorry to be so brain dead right now,:( but I still don't understand. So a full circle is like the one shown in my link, and a half circle would just be shorter? Like half the length?

Inky

One Too Many
miss_killin said:
I am very sorry to be so brain dead right now,:( but I still don't understand. So a full circle is like the one shown in my link, and a half circle would just be shorter? Like half the length?

full circle:

08-180-b.jpg

half circle:

08-181-a.jpg

cynroux

Familiar Face
Miss Killin, I can honestly second what Inky and Lady Day are advising. Start with an A line. I just completed my first project ever, the circle skirt, and it was a bit more than what I had bargained for, especially in the hem department.:eek:

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I will most definitely take the advice. I found a "5 minute skirt" A Line pattern here. On my way to the fabric store now, I'll be sure to post pictures! Thanks again for all of your help ladies! :D

MarieAnne

Practically Family
miss Killin - I would also recommend the A line skirt. Circle skirt hems are a nightmare and attaching a waistband can be difficult.

I started sewing just over a year ago and I am still discovering new things about my sewing machine. Things that could have made my life easier. I would highly recommend experimenting with your sewing machine and thoroughly reading the instructions manual. Proper maintenance will help your machine run smoothly for years to come.

Just today I was giving my machine some TLC. Oiled, dusted, adjusted.....and I like to run the machine while it's opened to see that all the moving parts are moving smoothly and quietly. Well, when I was satisfied, I stopped running the machine but I still heard this wierd sound. It sounded like sputtering and bubbling; it sounded electrical. I think it came from the pedal, or the motor, I'm not sure. But now I'm afraid to sew....what if my motor catches on fire, or something...what should I do?

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Well I completed my first A Line :D
I picked a lovely vintage pea green fabric and added a strip of black lace to the bottom. I think it turned out well for my first article of clothing, but I did run into a couple of slightly noticable issues. When I put it on, the sides are longer than the front and back of skirt. Also due to my uhm *blessing* in the rear department, the skirt is shorter in the back. I suppose I have to learn how to slightly alter patterns for my body type.

cecil

A-List Customer
Question!

This is a bit of a silly one and I'm not sure which thread to put it in, but here goes. I've tried google but still get conflicting information.

When taking a hip measurement for buying/making clothes, do I measure the widest part of my hips, ie sortof closer to the bottom of my pelvis ie my uh, bum?

I've passed up many a dress on ebay because the all the other measurements were fine except the hip was several inches too big and too hard (for amateur me) to take in because of peplums etc. I'm definitely going to be kicking "the widest part of my hips" if it turns out i've just been measuring myself wrong, haha! :eusa_doh:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cecil said:
When taking a hip measurement for buying/making clothes, do I measure the widest part of my hips, ie sortof closer to the bottom of my pelvis ie my uh, bum?

Traditionally, you take a hip measurement about 7" down from your natural waist, but with most modern skirts having their waistbands sitting below the natural waist, I find its best to use the fullest hip measurement as your guide and adjust from there.

LD

Geesie

Practically Family
So I apologize if I might be repeating things but at about page 3 it became all greek to me...

The first page recommended the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing.

My question(s): First, is any particular edition the superior one?
Second, how basic is this book? I haven't even sewn a button myself. I tried sewing nametapes on my uniforms but ended up breaking two needles and sending them into my fingers. I'd like to eventually sew vintage-style clothing for myself and my wife (cheaper/easier than trying to track it down in sizes/styles I want on eBay or vintage stores) but first I'd just like to be able to replace my own buttons and hem my own pants.

Where to start for a clueless man?

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Geesie said:
So I apologize if I might be repeating things but at about page 3 it became all greek to me...

The first page recommended the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing.

My question(s): First, is any particular edition the superior one?
Second, how basic is this book? I haven't even sewn a button myself. I tried sewing nametapes on my uniforms but ended up breaking two needles and sending them into my fingers. I'd like to eventually sew vintage-style clothing for myself and my wife (cheaper/easier than trying to track it down in sizes/styles I want on eBay or vintage stores) but first I'd just like to be able to replace my own buttons and hem my own pants.

Where to start for a clueless man?

Reader's Digest is the book my sewing instructor in costume design class at college suggested everyone should have a copy of. It will show you basic stitches, hemming techniques, buttons and all that stuff. It's the first sewing book I ever owned and I totally recommend it to get started.

After you get the basics down, you can start collecting old manuals and build a collection....but be careful...it's just as addictive as collecting patterns. :)

I *finally* got copies of "Dress Design: Draping and Flat Pattern Making" by Hillhouse AND "Clothing Construction" by Mansfield for my birthday this year. Since the economy sucks, the prices were low low low and I snatched them up with an amazon gift certificate. They will be perfect for vintage dressmaking. But i gotta say, if these were the books I had just started out with, I would have been overwhelmed.

Reader's Digest is simple to understand with lots of illustrations--and to clarify, it will give you more than a basic understanding.

Have fun!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit