Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shades of Grey

How is your hair greying?

• white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gray

• silver

• yellow cast

• salt & pepper

• streaks

• Total voters

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I noticed my first grey when I was in 6th grade (well someone behind me at the water fountain did...) My hair was blue/black naturally when I was younger, so I imagine it was really noticeable. Now I just color it...I am not going down without a fight! I am too young to look like someone's grandmother (...not that there is anything wrong with that...)

$ally

One Too Many
GF:6th grade is the youngest I've heard of for early greying.

I used to dye it, as a teen, in wild colors for fun. Then I stopped for years and went with my real color, which is beautiful if you don't mind me bragging. When I first spotted a snow drift, I panicked and started dying it natural shades. My hair color is unique and very hard to match however. It is a light auburn that doesn't come in a box. I tried tinting it myself, having friends dye it and going to salons, even getting highlights and lowlights. My color was never matched, always too brunette or too brassy red. Wella came the closest though.
I hated the roots showing (tacky) and decided the few white strands I had were not worth damaging the rest of my hair. I removed the color that was left and let it go. As I did, I noticed a lovely new sheen on the new growth. I got a comment from my son that I should leave it that way. Then another from my beaufriend that it was prettier natural, then coworkers and dance partners began to compliment my real hair. It looks and feels better when I leave it alone.
I'm not against dying, as long as it looks subtle, but we aren't kidding anybody when we try to look younger than we are. After 40 all of our coloring changes as we age, so dying hair a bright or dark color can look harsh and actually make us look much older-- just what we are trying to avoid when we fight the clock. Mother Nature doesn't make mistakes in regards to that. Feel free to argue that point ...

Girl Friday

Practically Family
$ally, I won't argue with you, I've seen old broads with coal black hair...it does not look natural! So I agree.

Someday, I will have all white hair (heck it is about 50%...I'd guess right now) but for now I am not ready...maybe when the crow's feet set in. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara