Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shadow boxing, rowing and cross-arm stretches

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As we were about to leave the house for Thanksgiving, I showed my wife my Buco J100 and my black Himel Kensington, and I asked her which I should wear. I fully expected her to select the cleaner looking, less worn Himel. Much to my surprise, she selected the Buco and observed that the Himel “looks too new.”

As I have noted before, it is difficult for me to (naturally) break in jackets because: (1) I have too many jackets and, therefore, none get sufficient wear; (2) I live in a warm climate and have few opportunities to wear leather jackets; (3) even when I wear a leather jacket, it is typically for a short period; and (4) because I do not ride a motorcycle, nor engage in other physically strenuous endeavors while wearing leather jackets, my jackets are not stressed / worked when I wear them. Thus, my leather jackets retain a new look longer than I would desire.

My wife’s comment lit a fire under my butt. Many here work-out their new jackets at home, before they ever venture outside with the jacket, in order to develop a more worn-in appearance right out of the gate. A few years ago, I undertook a similar regimen, but I failed to follow through. Yesterday, I restarted my "work-out" regimen with my black Kensington, and today I spent 30 minutes with my brown Kensington.

Merely wearing the jacket is not enough, and does little to advance the worn-in look. Rather, one must stress and work-out the jacket. I engaged in active cross-arm stretches, rowing, and even a little shadow-boxing – in other words, I looked utterly ridiculous (more so than usual). I can only engage in this silliness when my wife is not home, least I further confirm her belief that I am completely insane.

I have a lot of work ahead, but even a quick 30 minute active wear showed some positive results. Now, back to the rowing.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm so proud of you, I thought this day would never come!

The angry T-rex is a classic break in move, add a spray of water, T-rex around until dry, repeat daily and you will get it done in no time.

Embrace the insanity, i have been living in my grizzly as if it was a jumper for the past month, it is finally starting to be worn in like i like it.

I was just wearing my LW the other day and thought it will never look like it's seen a minute of wear. We just had a mini blizzard and I purposely shoveled insanely heavy snow in it, was sweating my ass off and figured that would knock the "brand new" out. Not even close. When I came in and it dried (yeah I wore it until it did) it didn't look any different. It bounced back like rubber. I feel your struggle here. I will row with you. Like a Viking.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I may know “someone” who has done a few rounds on the bag whilst home alone....

My only thought here is you have two virtually identical jackets with the only difference of one looking new and the other looking worn in. What do you do when they both look as worn in as each other? How do you choose between them? Perhaps having a new cleaner looking jacket and a worn in jacket could cover more situations?

Just a thought that I’m toying with to justify actually buying the GW Modoc I have on order (if my time ever actually comes) and keeping the ELMC Californian I now have that is somewhat worn in.

Do I need a dressy brown half belt and a casual brown half belt?

Hh121

Banned
0abfdc1e7366d0eabced1d13ba13f202.jpg
f2a280629a840d8463fe5a928ab8af9a.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
when my jacket is new, I do few dozen of taking on and half off the jacket halfway down my shoulders and flick your arms again until the jacket is worn again, and open half way again, and again and again, and while the jacket unzipped , for me it is enough to soften the jacket around the shoulders, but the back panel, I seriously need a coach how to break them in, all my back panel still feel like ninja turtle's shell

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I must be the weird one here, I just wear mine and they soon develop the 'look'. A months regular wearing will come out something like this: Just RWT if I get caught out without a brolly. I don't have a thing about new jackets as I'm the one wearing it, not the passer by who admires or does not admire. Despite my wanting my first A2 to have the years old look when I first bought it, now I just wear them maybe around the house for a coupe of days but that all.
Sure you can soak them in water, spray bottle the coat, I'll be honest I have tried it and it works to a degree but for me it's just too much effort.
Happy jacket 'wearing in' ladies and gents, it's getting a bit chilly now so you could always wear the smaller A2s and Highwayman styles under an overcoat.

Around 3-4 weeks day to day wear(no water except RWT)
P5190256_zpsv2o6j9v5.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
In my first Vanson, I did a lot of shadow boxing, burpees and jumping jacks.. it did very little to the jacket though.

The most efficent way to speed up a break-in process is excusing yourself for a week at work and home and go on a roadtrip. When I was in Scotland and driving around in the Highlands, it was fairly cold and I literally wore my jacket 24/7, at days in the car, on hiking trips, while setting up the tent, preping food, even at night in the sleeping bag. In this week, it broke in more than any of my other jackets after months or even years of possession.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I may know “someone” who has done a few rounds on the bag whilst home alone....

My only thought here is you have two virtually identical jackets with the only difference of one looking new and the other looking worn in. What do you do when they both look as worn in as each other? How do you choose between them? Perhaps having a new cleaner looking jacket and a worn in jacket could cover more situations?

Just a thought that I’m toying with to justify actually buying the GW Modoc I have on order (if my time ever actually comes) and keeping the ELMC Californian I now have that is somewhat worn in.

Do I need a dressy brown half belt and a casual brown half belt?
I do that with denim and boots, why not jackets. Starts out in the “go somewhere nice” pile then when something new comes in it slips into the anywhere anytime pile.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I just bought a new lambskin bomber and it is a little stiff. I just plan on wearing it all winter, rain, snow, sunshine. It all works out. If a jacket can't handle the elements I don't want it.

Colin G

One Too Many
I buy thicker leather jackets so my new leather jacket regimen means me sitting on it, massaging the stiff portions of the leather with my hands and even taking naps laying on it for the first couple of weeks before I even wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR