Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your own art here :)

hargist said:
Zipper.jpg

ticketbooth.jpg

Wow! I love these! They don't look real. Love the colours

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hargist said:
Here are a few more:

commercialexchange-day2.jpg

Oooh, I like this one. There is a 'video game background' feel to these (I dont mean that as an insult). Super realistic, as in nearly every intended detail can be seen, but clean in a way that keeps them detached.

Very cool.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks, ShoreRoadLady!
Make that outfit! HA! Where would I wear such a thing!?

Well, now that Im unemployed I am working on some projects that Ive had on the back burner for some time.

swinejukusml.jpg

This is the villain Swinejuku from my soon to be web comic (I hope) Ninja Sheep. Im working in Illustrator, and altho its time consuming, I love the look of the clean lines.

LD

hargist

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Oooh, I like this one. There is a 'video game background' feel to these (I dont mean that as an insult). Super realistic, as in nearly every intended detail can be seen, but clean in a way that keeps them detached.

Very cool.

LD

No insult taken. That's why I like HDR. It's both realistic and other worldly. Here are a couple more that I recently took:

chicagoskylinewithclouds.jpg

ticketcounter.jpg

trynottobreathe.jpg

lamppost.jpg

Barz51

New in Town
Hey Hargist, I really like the pictures. They kind of remind me of Gregory Crewdson's work. His pics are too fake looking for my taste but I really like what you've done. They have an ethereal feel that conveys a feeling almost as much as in image. That ticket booth is down right menacing!

Not to hijack the thread but could you give a little explanation of how high dynamic range imaging works? I've done a little research but I'm not quite getting the process.

I love the detail in the shot below
ticketcounter.jpg

hargist

One of the Regulars
Barz51 said:
Hey Hargist, I really like the pictures. They kind of remind me of Gregory Crewdson's work. His pics are too fake looking for my taste but I really like what you've done. They have an ethereal feel that conveys a feeling almost as much as in image. That ticket booth is down right menacing!

Not to hijack the thread but could you give a little explanation of how high dynamic range imaging works? I've done a little research but I'm not quite getting the process.

I love the detail in the shot below
ticketcounter.jpg

Thanks very much for the compliment! Now if I can only figure out a way to make my work pay like Gregory Crewdson...

In a nutshell, HDR extends the dynamic tonal range far beyond that of a traditional photograph. It's done by taking multiple exposures of the same subject, so instead of taking one picture at "normal" exposure, I take at least three (and usually five, or sometimes more), bracketing the exposure around the "normal" exposure. I use a program that combines all the exposures to create one HDR photograph. From there, I have ultimate control over every conceivable tone.

HDR is not unlike the way painters paint. Paintings have an unlimited contrast range because it's up to the painter to decide whether to make something completely black or white, or whether to show detail within those contrast extremes. HDR gives me that control, so if I want detail within a light or dark area that would normally be completely blown out or black, I can do so.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Absolutely beautiful work, hargist! I love the painterly quality of the images. I was not familiar with the HDR technique, but I'm going to try working with it soon. I've done similar things with multiple layers of varying densities and transparencies in photoshop, though not achieving the exquisite quality of your images. What program do you use to combine the images?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pennyandnickincarcopy.jpg

A sketch Im going to digitally paint (city background and everything). But painting that way takes me forever, so Im looking at a few days! :eusa_doh:

LD

hargist

One of the Regulars
Thanks Widebrim! The bar is my favorite dive bar. It's The Kibitz Room, which is the Canter's bar on Fairfax Ave. Best jukebox in town. It's in my neighborhood, right around the corner from where I live.

The vintage warehouse is literally next door from Canter's, just one door north of The Kibitz Room.

I like photographing my neighborhood. It's an interesting place. I also spend a lot of time downtown, as you can tell.

gingermore

Familiar Face
hargist your photos are wonderful and I love the subject matter. The Zipper is my favourite show ride ever! I've never seen it looking so great (I've only ever ridden rickety old rustbuckets).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo