Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Sleeve Garters

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I was watching the trailer for Idlewild, and I noticed Andre Benjamin wearing sleeve garters. I have a few shirts with sleeves that are long on me, and was wondering if anyone has a source for working sleeve garters?
I think River Junction has some, but they are $15 a set and they may just be for decoration.

vintage68

Practically Family
Sleeve Garters

So, anyone care to esplain to a newbie what the deal is with sleeve garters? Seen 'em in a bunch of period films, but can't quite figure out why they were used. Just to keep the sleeve from riding up when putting on a jacket?

Enquiring minds wanna know....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Readymade shirts came with very long sleeves; garters were used for adjusting the fit.

vintage68

Practically Family
Ahhhh, well gee wiz Tomasso, you seem to be the guy with the answers! Thanks. I registered with Ask Andy and will let you know if I hear something from the guy you suggested.

Thanks again.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I like them

Since the proper length for a sleeve goes past your wrist the garter keeps the sleeve out of your way whilst working. (As stated previously)
Strabgely when I wear my black sleeve garters people say I look like a bartender.[huh]

Sincerely,
The WOLF

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Bartender? I think Spiderman's boss wears one too and I used to assume it was used for holding his marker pens. A useful accessory for waiters, too?

I tried to get some Shanghainese tailors to reduce my shirt cuff size so that they won't slip the base of my thumb irregardless of shirt length, but they countered by adding a second button to the cuff, enabling the wearer to tighten the shirt cuff if he so prefers. Now one can opt to wear only a proper genleman's dress watch or to wear one of those special tourbillons instead when the mood strikes one.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I bought sleeve garters from the vintage shirt company but they were too small for my arms and one of them broke. =/ I've been trying to hunt down some more elasticy ones that arn't all frilly but to no avail.

ArrowCollarMan said:
I bought sleeve garters from the vintage shirt company but they were too small for my arms and one of them broke. =/ I've been trying to hunt down some more elasticy ones that arn't all frilly but to no avail.

What type of construction were they? The ones we carry are essentially just brass springs (see what I'm wearing today below; similarly to John Helmer's, ours come in silver as well).

My boss is a former body-builder, and still stays pretty big, and he uses these (obviously, it's his shop!). The only problem he has is that over time, they become a little stretched out, but they still serve the purpose. They only run $20, so it's not a huge deal, anyways.

sleevegarter.jpg

If you like, PM me and I'll see if I can get you some.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Okay...

...so is Mr Rover right? Is that what shirt garters are for? Sleeves that are too long?

Why did so many golden era men wear them? I get the sock garters. Before elastic, I can't think of any other way to keep your socks from drooping down around your ankles.

Shirt garters I'm not sure I understand.

Jovan

Suspended
From what I understand, all shirts came in a standard extra long sleeve back then. This keeps them from bunching up at the cuff. Although I don't have that problem, I think they're stylish. Especially the adjustable ribbon type.

Jovan said:
From what I understand, all shirts came in a standard extra long sleeve back then. This keeps them from bunching up at the cuff.

This is the right idea.

Originally, the measured shirt sleeve lengths were a uniquely American invention. Sleeve garters were a necessary tool back then, and to an extent today, and they can be traced back to when European tailors began originally began producing ready-to-wear clothing, where they wanted to make an efficient use of their time and materials. This caused them to craft proportional shirtings to fit the 'everyman'. Non-US shirtmakers, quite generally I should say, only produced shirtings with a sized neck and sleeve lengths in "short" "regular" or "long", proportional to the size of the neck. For example, a "long" 16 neck would be a 34.5 sleeve, whereas a "long" 18 neck would be about a 37 sleeve, and so on.

This dynamic is still at play today. The better shirtings that we carry, from makers in Canada (IMO the best for the buck today), Italy and France all come in measured neck sizes and "regular", "short" or "long" sleeve sizes. Conversely, the Gitman Bros. shirtings (USA since '48) comes in a mind-boggling array of neck-sleeve measurements.

So, the long way to your answer, shirt garters serve the purpose of allowing the gentleman to adjust the sleeve length on his ready-made shirtings to the appropriate length. (And it's ALWAYS better to buy a sleeve a little longer rather than a little shorter.)

The 'Reader's Digest' version, anways. :p

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
Hey Charleston,

For some reason I'm unable to PM you, so I'm hoping you still check the forum :) (This is a pretty big bump for the thread LOL)

Id really like to get in contact with you about getting some of those!

Could you contact me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot