Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shockingly horrid attire

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
It's one thing to wear the shirt, it's another to be the bitch.

I dress for who I want to be, whether it be a striped suit or a khaki work outfit. I admire those that knew who they were and dressed suitably enough for their true character to ring through. Dressing for your environment, Exempli Gratia, Tuxedo at a classic night club with a big band is ideal to many, though to the owner of the club, making it dress code would be death for business -- especially in LA.

We can look back and hark on with glee (at least I can) to the fields of men and women dressed to immaculate distraction in a bygone era. Though trends and styles and comfort beliefs change. Don't wear flip flops to the night club... I ask you this. It might not win my favor. Though wearing the flip flops and the tattered jeans and the shirt that says "Surf Niqaragua" is not wron, and to say it is is not the way I roll with my homies.

I like the idea of dressing for your environment. Though if that were he case I'm continuously overdressed. I wore a suit and tie on my last plane trip... got some glances, some compliments. Some said yay, some said uncomfortable. I was comfortable, though that's me. Please don't wear the flip flops to the night club or the T-shirt to the Opera... though if it is in your heart and your blood I'm not going to chastize you for doing so. I'll open your doors and flatter you with conversation. In my mind I will be thinking how grand it would be if more people took the time and had the same style sense that they did in the old day. Fact is they don't. I'll wear the suit. you can wear the shirt that says I heart toxic waste. It's okay.

I agree that dressing for your environment should be taken in to consideration. I also concur that I would normally rather be over-dressed than under-dressed. I must say that I do wish the theater was still considered a "jacket and tie" event.

-D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
In the golden age of travel, you had comfort and room. Now, they are jamming as many seats in as possible.
In the golden age of air travel, you and I almost certainly couldn't have afforded a seat. Air travel back then cost a LOT of money. Fact is, we still can have comfort and room on a plane ... we just have to pay for it, as folks did in the '30s and '40s. Back then, the entire airplane was a "first class" section.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Flying puts me in such a state, a flask sounds rather nice. I can sleep in comfort! lol

I doubt I would trust it, much less a knife and pocketwatch, to get through security, though.

The only reason I would be hesitant to wear a skirt and whatnot is if I have to step out of my shoes or move quickly in an emergency. Vintage pants, on the other hand, could be quite practical.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
In regards to planes, I think that a part of the reason why everyone dresses down and so far down, is the way they are treated by the airlines. In the golden age of travel, you had comfort and room. Now, they are jamming as many seats in as possible. Flying is no longer considered glamorous. It is about as romantic as taking a city bus.

Now, that is not to say that I condone how people dress. There will always be those sheep who follow the fashion trends, and that is their right to do so, as it is anyone else's not to.

I travel dressed in what would be popularly considered as "business casual." I am usually in one of my signature blazers, because I don't want to have to change at the room before going out to dinner, or museum, our whatever else I have planned for when I land.

Also, I have learned that you get far more respect and can get much more accomplished, when you look respectable. If you want to upgrade a seat on a flight, you'll have a much better chance in a suit than in a sweat-suit. Believe me. ;)

But, I think we should all be patient with those we disagree with, including how they dress. It is a fun topic for conversation here at the Lounge, but when I encounter them in public, I don't cast dispersions, and hope for the same courtesy, though it is rarely, if ever, reciprocated.

I dream of a world where everyone dresses appropriately, with respect for themselves and those that they are around. I don't want my eight year-old hypothetical daughter reading that woman's shirt and asking me what it means, or seeing someone's undergarments through the holes in their jeans. This is rude and offensive.

I rather wish this great land of rugged individuals would start expressing themselves as such. It’s this steady attrition to the least common standards that concerns me, as I stand astride the tracks of the Great Clattering Train of Progress with my palm extended yelling, “Stop!” over the great rattle of the cars, the couplings, and the falling pistons.

As usual, very well said....Very well said man.....
So, for our trip to Italy, wear your "signature blue blazer", I want first class baby!
As for the space on the plane.... I always get stuck in the middle seat, next to some 6'3 man who doesn't realize he's an arm rest hog and has such long legs he steals the space under my seat. Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be:D I think because he wears a blue blazer, he thinks he can get away with this kind of behavior:p HAHA, I'm just joking. You, 6'3 are a pleasure to travel with, just as long as you don't mind me resting my head on your shoulder if our first class bump doesn't happen.. Also, we are going during a non-peak time, hopefully that will make our trip up to first class a breeze. Better start planning my outfit and setting those pin-curls.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
In the golden age of air travel, you and I almost certainly couldn't have afforded a seat. Air travel back then cost a LOT of money. Fact is, we still can have comfort and room on a plane ... we just have to pay for it, as folks did in the '30s and '40s. Back then, the entire airplane was a "first class" section.

Come on, Marc, if we're gonig to send ourselves back in time, let's do so with money, or at least with some hot stock tips. ;)

Here, here, for Matt Deckard: "Lead by example." Bravo, sir!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
...As for the space on the plane.... I always get stuck in the middle seat, next to some 6'3 man who doesn't realize he's an arm rest hog and has such long legs he steals the space under my seat. Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be:..
For the record, I am 6'2". All else I am guilty of. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Comfort

For me... I can wear most anything. I like to wear jeans if they suit me. I wear sandals that are pretty old-school. Cowboy boots, short pants, hi-top PF Flyers. Even got an ear pierced about ten years back.

But speaking for my own body and life, I'm most comfortable in a shirt, tie, jacket with handkerchief, polished shoes and a swell hat. In those things, I feel like me in my own skin.
My boss is probably what many would call a Dandy. When I'm traveling with him via plane or car, a jacket and tie are pretty much standard stuff and I'm most comfortable that way anyway. I just don't pay attention to what other folks are wearing, unless it's an offensive t-shirt or skin that really should be hidden.

To each his own. I want people to lay off me for how I'm dressed, and I'm willing to give the same quarter.

If I make the QM this year, I'll be traveling alone, and you can bet I'm going over and over all that I might wear in my head - from leaving home to returning!

You guys are a tough crowd!! :p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One last point...

There is absolutely, positively no excuse for ripened body or soiled clothing odor under any circumstances when in public, especially on an airplane. Bad dressing I can take; BO wafting my way makes my stomach reverse gears.

Spoken by someone who once rode an airplane filled with horrendously unwashed people from the (at the time) Soviet Block.

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass