Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shockingly horrid attire

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Lauren Henline said:
I think it's about knowing one's body and how to dress for one's body that's the important part. There were plenty of poorly dressed people in the golden era as well.

I'm with you guys on the shirt and the underwear thing. That's just crude and innapropriate. But I'm also with the people here on the comfort thing. We live in a society which lets us wear what we choose to wear. That's a good thing- but it can be abused in many circumstances by people who are continually unaware of what flatters their figure. It is possible to wear jeans and a t shirt and look good- but you have to have it a) in the correct size b) in a style flattering to your figure c) covering enough skin to make it appropriate.

All throughout history these are the same problems that arose. I am currently listening to an audiobook from 1811 on Ettiquette and the woman speaks of all the same things- lack of undergarments, showing of skin, inappropriate dress.

The saddest thing in the world is to see a beautiful girl in clothing that does not become her. And I am no prude. I like to see sexy in women. But the clothes now are not made for most of the "American" figures. The clothes are made for women with no hips, no butt, and no chest, but with a flat belly and skinny legs. MOST women these days cannot pull off the current fashions after puberty, or before surgery. I miss the days of an hourglass figure in dress and heels.

-D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
Spoken by someone who once rode an airplane filled with horrendously unwashed people from the (at the time) Soviet Block.

You would not have enjoyed Glendale, California, in the early 1980s, when immigrants from Soviet Armenia arrived en masse. It took a few years for deodorant to penetrate the culture. :(

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
In the golden age of air travel, you and I almost certainly couldn't have afforded a seat. Air travel back then cost a LOT of money. Fact is, we still can have comfort and room on a plane ... we just have to pay for it, as folks did in the '30s and '40s. Back then, the entire airplane was a "first class" section..

It's been my experience that when checking in for ones flight, ask about a bump to first class. It can be as little as $75 a ticket. It's much more comfortable, well worth the money.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
:) Definitely worth asking for, Daisy! I once got bumped up to First Class for a New York to L.A. overnight flight. Oh - my - gosh: I didn't know how nice air travel could actually be until then. In First Class, a man can dress up a bit and still be comfortable there!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before Christmas 2004, I hadn't flown in just over 10 years. But that first post-9/11 flight...what an eye opener! As luck would have it, I was one of the lucky few who got pulled for the heavier-duty security screening. Shoes & sock off, down to slacks and tshirt (one layer of clothing over my "unmentionables" ;) ) and everything from my pockets scrutinized. I'd forgotten I'd left a paperback in my back pocket. When the security crew found it, all heck breaks loose while they "examine the hidden contraband" (their term). Those who I was traveling with are standing at the end of security, a level higher, in hysterics, as I'm rushing to get re-dressed (shirt & tie, sweater vest, jacket) plus repack my carry-on. My first words as I caught up to the gang was, "Well, all the glamour and elegance of travel has certainly disappeared, hasn't it?"

As others have mentioned - flip-flops & man-made fibers & flimsy, scanty attire on a flight? What are you going to do in an emergency with broken glass & fire & so forth? But beyond that, the majority dress like slobs, and everyone's carrying their own food & drink onto the plane, trying to hang onto that & not spill while jossling along with their three or four oversized carry-on's.

But I blame that on the gate attendants - everyone knows the rules. If it's oversized, send 'em back to check-in. I've only seen that happen once - Oakland Int'l last year and I thanked the gate attendants. But flying down about six weeks ago, everyone's plodding onto the plane with ice cream & milk shakes & other "goopy" food. I felt really awful for a guy a couple of rows up. A really nice black leather jacket and he stowed it in the overhead. When it came time to get off the plane, he pulled it out and there's ice cream or a milkshake crusted on the back that wasn't there when he got on the plane.

And my final comment about modern attrocious apparel - just because Spandex CAN stretch doesn't mean that it SHOULD.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If airline security is (rightly) going to ask me to take off some of my clothes, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to wear duds which are easy to take off and put back on.

If airlines are going to charge me extra for anything more than a bag of peanuts, you can bet that I'll bring my own food and drinks on the plane.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mike in Seattle said:
And my final comment about modern attrocious apparel - just because Spandex CAN stretch doesn't mean that it SHOULD.

Heehee! That's one of the best things I've read all day! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
If airline security is (rightly) going to ask me to take off some of my clothes, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to wear duds which are easy to take off and put back on.

If airlines are going to charge me extra for anything more than a bag of peanuts, you can bet that I'll bring my own food and drinks on the plane.

I see nothing wrong with loafers and a nutrition drink.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
In the golden age of air travel, you and I almost certainly couldn't have afforded a seat. Air travel back then cost a LOT of money. Fact is, we still can have comfort and room on a plane ... we just have to pay for it, as folks did in the '30s and '40s. Back then, the entire airplane was a "first class" section.

In 1947, when my Dad moved to California from Hawaii, it cost him about $600 one-way on Pan-Am to San Francisco. Put it into perspective; at 75 cents an hour wages, that's 800 hours of work or 20, 40-hour weeks.:eek:

When I travel, I tend to want to wear my cowboy boots. I figure if anything goes haywire, a nice pointed toe could come in handy.:D

Last year, I flew first class from Chicago to San Francisco. We had recliner seats. They were just like a Lazy-Boy. I had about 4 double shots of whiskey and slept like a baby.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland