Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shockingly horrid attire

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Paisley said:
Even if fashion didn't suit everybody, I think women used to try harder to wear clothes that accentuated their best features and camoflaged their worst ones. Given that most Americans are overweight, could anything look worse on most women than low-slung pants, sleeveless shirts, clam diggers, and bare midriffs? Even if you aren't overweight, those clothes can make you look like you are. I have the figure of a 12-year-old gymnast, but I find the style too ugly to wear. QUOTE]

I agree that even if you are skinny the prevailing fashion makes a girl look chubby. And they think it looks good.

Paisley said:
Also, matrons didn't ape 20-year-olds as they do now. The flapper dresses probably looked fine on most young girls of the late 1920s. I say that even if you have the figure for it, teenagers' clothes don't become you if you're old enough to have teenagers.QUOTE]

I think you are correct that women of the past didn't try to mimic the trends as much as they do now. I see women in their 40's and 50's that are wearing hip huggers with stretch marks from giving birth or gaining too much weight too fast on their bellies. And they will swear they are sexy.

-D

Feraud

Bartender
TwoToneDeuce said:
I think you are correct that women of the past didn't try to mimic the trends as much as they do now.
Women (and men) have always followed trends! We may not like the current fashion but that is not to say women in the "good old days" were less fashion conscious or materialistic. One must not view the past with rose colored glasses. Good and bad fashion have always existed and always will.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Feraud said:
Women (and men) have always followed trends! We may not like the current fashion but that is not to say women in the "good old days" were less fashion conscious or materialistic. One must not view the past with rose colored glasses. Good and bad fashion have always existed and always will.

Again, no one said that they didn't follow trends, even some bad ones. But the main point was missed, the fashion of the days gone by was more flattering than todays fashion is on the figures of the women involved. Bad fashions trends have always happened, however they tend to be short lived and not universal. The current fashion of hip huggers and tight tops has become the dominate fashion not simply a trend. That is what the distress is over.

-D

Feraud

Bartender
TwoToneDeuce said:
Again, no one said that they didn't follow trends, even some bad ones.
uh not to argue semantics but you did say that. [huh] Read you posts above.
now back to topic..

As much as I despise some of our current fashion treads I rest assured they will pass as most do. Who knows, maybe when everyone gets sick of the "dressing down" look the pendulum will swing the other way and classic cut suits will make a comback.

One can only hope.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Feraud said:
uh not to argue semantics but you did say that. [huh] Read you posts above.
now back to topic..

As much as I despise some of our current fashion treads I rest assured they will pass as most do. Who knows, maybe when everyone gets sick of the "dressing down" look the pendulum will swing the other way and classic cut suits will make a comback.

One can only hope.
Kind Sir,

If semantics are to be quibbled over my original statement was "I think you are correct that women of the past didn't try to mimic the trends as much as they do now." Your rebuff was that I said they didn't follow trends. My emphasis was on the amount of effort that women well beyond the appropriate age for clothes still cling to them. I didn't say that they never followed the trends.

I do agree that this fashion will (hopefully soon) pass. I just hope it moves to something more flattering for men and women.

Regards,

Deuce

Feraud

Bartender
TwoToneDeuce said:
If semantics are to be quibbled over..
I thought we weren't doing that? :) ;)
Point well taken!

flip1bi9.png

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
....the pendulum will swing the other way and classic cut suits will make a comback.

it seems that almost every season the men's style magazines are predicting that 'men want to look grown up again' or 'the new tailoring rennaisance' or 'the tailored look'. i must say that even in London i don't see men in stylish suits everywhere. i think the problem is that most people associate suits with something boring to wear for work, so in their leisure time they want to wear the opposite.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
The philosophy in those days:

-- Frequent flying sucked.

-- Most frequent flyers were businessmen.

-- For businessmen, frequent flying sucked less when young, attractive stewardesses in hot pants served them complimentary scotches with a smile.

Who could argue with that? lol

Now 95% of the female stewardess' look like they should be singing back-up for a Lawrence Welk show.lol There's a lot of truth that "they must have looked good before the catalytic converter".:D

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I can't help but wonder if the advent of the computer age has led to less outward interaction and therefore a lack of interest in public appearance. I know a lot of people who like nice suits and dresses, yet when a chance to wear something similar presents itself, a lot people kick their feet in irritation and ask "Why should I have to dress up?"

Have to?

They make it sound like they're being trussed up for torture by some medieval magistrate. I've seen some people make a show of yanking off a tie and throwing off a jacket like it's made of hot lead, yet they admit they actually like the suit they're wearing. It appears to be expected to hate wearing a suit.
It's one reason I like Connery's character in "The Rock". The first thing this non-person wanted when he saw the chance for a momentary change was "The feel of a nice suit".

More on topic, most folks get excited about an item that is with today's fashions because they're expected to be.
It's probably never occurred to them that they have choices beyond that.
Finally some folks dress in simple clothes because they can't be bothered to do otherwise, and many certainly don't understand why anyone else bothers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass