Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I'm looking to buy this shoe:
4031-d.jpg

Its a Stacy Adams Madison Boot. I'M IN LOVE WITH IT! My only problem is; I don't know if it's wearable everyday. It costs a pretty penny. I've seen it priced anywhere from $100-$120. If I am to buy it I'd expect it to last, at least, twice as long as any other shoe I'd buy. I had a bad experience with a Stacy Adams shoe in the past but I hear they have much better than the shoe I had. But anyway, would it be a good investment for what I want? Or are there any (perhaps cheaper) alternatives?

Feraud

Bartender
ArrowCollarMan said:
If I am to buy it I'd expect it to last, at least, twice as long as any other shoe I'd buy.
How long do your shoes usually last?
$120.00 sounds about average for an average shoe. A lower cost will probably result in a cheaper product. $200.00 or so for an everyday shoe might be a hard hit to the wallet.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Well, my shoes usually last anywhere from 6 months to a year. No way I'm going anywhere over $110. But if I were to buy it I'd expect it to last maybe 1 and 1/2 - 2 years. But if it doesn't appear to have any good durablitity I'll settle for something else.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ArrowCollarMan said:
I have 3. A pair of brown work boots, a pair of slip on black shoes and my two-tones.

I see. Well that's a tight rotation that would cause even the best made shoes to brake down prematurely. I would offer two suggestions for prolonging the useful life of a pair of shoes. First, never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row because they need rest and dry out. Secondly, always use shoe trees as they aid in moisture absorption and serve to maintain the form of the shoe. Also, look to buy Goodyear welted shoes if at all possible. EBay is an excellent source for better quality shoes at lower prices.

mikepara

Practically Family
Nice shoes

I love those Oxford lace up Stable boots. Whilst I have never heard of that Stacy Adams brand. The same boots are reasonably easy to buy. You may be able to source a cheaper pair at any good saddlers?

Either way when you buy them, get them leather resoled [so there's a double sole] straight away unworn. That way they will only ever wear the replaceable sole. A horseshoe segg will save the heel wearing down.

The way you know that your wearing them too often is if the insole turns a dark brown colour.

Should last you your lifetime, with only replacement soles now and then.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
A saddler? I dunno if there is a "saddler" place near where I am. There is a place in the next town called the boot barn. It has western wear. Never looked in it but I have a hunch they may have those boots. By the way, how much does leather resoling cost?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I understand cmpletely the budget of a student, so one suggestion I would make is to keep your eye on J. Crew's sale section regularly. I have seen and bought wingtips for no more than $40 and sometimes for $20. I have bought boots for the same amount, some of which were styled like vintage workboots. The best part is that J Crew's shoes are made in Italy and are of a very good quality; not an Alan Edmunds quality, but very good non-the-less. :)

mikepara

Practically Family
Resoling

ArrowCollarMan said:
. By the way, how much does leather resoling cost?

Most cobblers prices vary, you'll need to ask around. Shouldn't cost much though! Cheaper By far than a new pair of shoes every 6 months or so.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Tomasso said:
I see. Well that's a tight rotation that would cause even the best made shoes to brake down prematurely. I would offer two suggestions for prolonging the useful life of a pair of shoes. First, never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row because they need rest and dry out. Secondly, always use shoe trees as they aid in moisture absorption and serve to maintain the form of the shoe. Also, look to buy Goodyear welted shoes if at all possible. EBay is an excellent source for better quality shoes at lower prices.

I totally agee with Tomasso. Good shoes can last for years and years if you take proper care of them. I wear AE Broadstreets daily. I have to keep several pairs in rotation or I will have to replace them quicker. A quality shoe in mens shoes run 200+ I know that on a budget it's tight, but Ebay is a good place to pick up 3-4 pairs for what one would normally cost. Also I have seen AE's (not broadstreets) go for $50 and be unworn. So keep a weathered eye open for good shoes there.

-D

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
ArrowCollarMan said:
A saddler? I dunno if there is a "saddler" place near where I am. There is a place in the next town called the boot barn. It has western wear. Never looked in it but I have a hunch they may have those boots. By the way, how much does leather resoling cost?

A full sole and heel runs $50-70
Just heels $35-45

Most people will go through 2 sets of heels before one sole. A good cobbler is like a good tailor, worth every penney you pay them. Also AE has a recrafting process that is awesome. It is $100 and they put new, heels and soles on as well as strip and repolish the uppers. When I get mine back they always look like new shoes.

-D

Feraud

Bartender
Shoe wear depends on a few factors. Construction of shoe, frequency of use, user wear, etc.
A good rule is to buy the best quality shoe that fits your budget. Having an extra pair helps prolong shoe life.
Resoling is an option that should be used. Looking for bargains is another. Get into the habit of looking for sales at department stores, J Crew, and the like.
I found a pair of excellent quality English brand shoes at Marshalls for a great price!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
You usually get what you pay for in terms of shoes, although if you keep your eyes open for sales, you can usually get a bargain. I agree with Hemingway and plug J. Crew. I know you're not into the preppy look, but check them out every once in a while. I bought 3 pairs of shoes from them for $30 (end of season sale) and they are all of pretty decent quality. The suede shoes probably won't last as long due to the nature of the material, but the brown wingtips should last for atleast a good year.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
ArrowCollarMan said:
I'm looking to buy this shoe:
4031-d.jpg

Its a Stacy Adams Madison Boot. I'M IN LOVE WITH IT! My only problem is; I don't know if it's wearable everyday. It costs a pretty penny. I've seen it priced anywhere from $100-$120. If I am to buy it I'd expect it to last, at least, twice as long as any other shoe I'd buy. I had a bad experience with a Stacy Adams shoe in the past but I hear they have much better than the shoe I had. But anyway, would it be a good investment for what I want? Or are there any (perhaps cheaper) alternatives?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Allen-Edmon...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These would be a better buy at that price.

-D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ArrowCollarMan said:
how much does leather resoling cost?

You may wish to consider having Topy sole savers installed, as well as toe and heal taps. Properly maintained, these devises can assure that a shoe will never need to be resoled. They also improve footing in rain, snow and ice. But, don't put Topy on your dancing shoes;)

Shoes007.jpg

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Tomasso said:
You may wish to consider having Topy sole savers installed, as well as toe and heal taps. Properly maintained, these devises can assure that a shoe will never need to be resoled. They also improve footing in rain, snow and ice. But, don't put Topy on your dancing shoes;)
I used taps for awhile, but they affected my gait as they stand a bit taller than your sole and if you are not careful on stone floors you can take a good spill.

-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy