Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shop location help needed

Suppoko

New in Town
Hi, I am in need of some advice from people who know (you guys). First off some me info. I am 33 years old and on the bigger side 6'2" 330lbs. And work in the steel industry. On to my issue! I reccently got a job in real eastate part time. I want to dress up for this and my wardrobe consists of mostly jeans and tees. I pretty much need to know if anyone knows a good online shop or a actual store in the metro Detroit area that I can go to get some nicer clothes.

And as a side note I am avoiding things like polos and khakis because I love hats and want to start wearing better than my ball cap hats. I read the thread about the professor upgrading his wardrobe but I'm hoping to not need a sports coat and tie everyday. I don't know if that's too dressy for what I'll be doing.

Thanks for any help you guys can point my way. Great site btw. Full of stuff to learn. Even if the important threads links led me to random threads not concerning the topic.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
We seem to categorize ourselves and restrict our own ability to modify ourselves very easily. My few hats were 2" brims. When I tried on wider hats I saw them as beach umbrellas. I'm very comfortable with them now. A sport coat on the hat rack next to the door can simplify things and quality ones can be found a resale shop, Goodwills etc for very nice prices. A sport coat and fedora also shows a degree of professionalism as well as style. A fitted Fedora, even one found in a department store will give you a good idea of your actual hat size.
Tom D.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I reccently got a job in real estate part time...... I'm hoping to not need a sports coat and tie everyday. I don't know if that's too dressy for what I'll be doing.
I think that you should inquire as to what type of attire your employer will require of you. That would be my first step.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
You need to show you are a Team Player at the interview,............. once you have the job then you can Gradually introduce a few things into your work day wardrobe, heck I have even worn a racoon coat to the office!, and that is the furthest I have pushed the envelope!

Last edited:

Suppoko

New in Town
Oh sorry forgot to mention the job is for one of the offices my uncle owns I'm not trying to "get" it. I'm just trying to upgrade for it.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I know what kind of attire is required. It's polos and khakis but I would like to avoid that.

I would suggest as a modest upgrade from polo and khakis you do this:

Go ahead and get some good khakis, but also get some slacks in maybe blues and greys.

Buy some button down collar long sleeve oxfords (shirts) in both solids and plaids. At your size I'd avoid stripes I think. Be sure they fit properly.

Get a couple of well fitted sport coats that go well with the slacks you've selected.

Get some leather shoes, maybe oxford toe and belts to match the color.

If you select well you should be able to mix and match quite a few combinations and be a step up from polos without going to full on suits. If your job will involve showing properties to prospective clients then take your cues from how they dress. Dress at least as well as they do if not slightly better. Sell a few properties and make some money and then you can pretty much justify dressing according to your own success.

Don't forget to factor in appropriate outerwear for the weather there and be sure it looks good with the rest of your selections.

That's the way I'd approach this change if it was me.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24