Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Men Wear Bracelets ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I dislike the look of all jewellery - rings, bracelets, necklaces - you name it and don't wear any. But no one can tell you what you should wear. There are no rules and it's no one's business.

Sonero

Practically Family
I have one of these and wear it at times in the summer.

otterneck-worth_1024x1024.jpg

This with a polo shirt shorts and boat shoes would look great. Very Preppy.

I like it.

Sonero

Practically Family
Love the black leather / brass buckles combo. As long as you're comfortable with it, go ahead!

This could also look awesome with plain black t-shirt.

Dang, I think I want one of those!

Thanks !

I will post a pic and the contact info if I like the work. He sells some very interesting cuffs and general leather work.

Sonero

Practically Family
Couldn't agree more, no need to ask the fashion police if it's ok to wear anything. Social media has given every self opinionated upstart a metaphoric soapbox from which to dictate to the world what to wear, what to listen to, what to vote, how many babies to have or have not, indeed, even how you should live your life. I could give you some advice as to what to tell them but profanities don't go down too well in The Lounge.

Actually I do have a certain desire to fit in. Nobody likes to be alienated for being weird. Nothing wrong with individual style though.

My theory is if you go off the beaten path DO IT WELL. Leave a mark so that others may be inclined to take the risk and also create something unique.

If it doesn't come off as a hit drop it......We all make mistakes. I have made several style mistakes in my life but I learned from them.

CNYC

New in Town
Now we are getting into necklaces....cool. I have been on a buying binge for several weeks now. Anything from beads to silver to my new fav chainmaille. I am currently in Mexico until friday but look forward to posting photos then.

Oh and I have rings to post as well.

Edward

Bartender
Speaking frankly about those "rules", aren't wristwatches a superfluous item themselves, in today's age and time?
I don't see much difference in bracelets that tell time and those which don't, and wear both regularly.

A lot of the undergraduate kids I teach now do seem to rely on their phones for the time (moreso the girls, fwiw), but watches still come into their own in places they can't use the phone - like exam halls!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I really like this bracelet but I am 47 years old . If you would have asked me 10 years I'd buy this in a heartbeat. The brass buckles make it elegant IMO. Id never consider buying it if it had silver buckles.

This paired with a pair of jeans and a short sleeve tan dress shirt with nice shoes.

Too much ? I feel that being covered in tattoos allows me some sort of creative freedom at my age. After all I have always respected my inner freak :)

Some web articles say if it doesn't tell time don't wear it on your wrist !

Would love some opinions.

By the way it is made with english bridal leather...oooh aaaah

Thanks

View attachment 73446

That looks really great, yes, go for it. Infact I have been updating my image, looks, fashion etc and have been considering something similar.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Actually I do have a certain desire to fit in. Nobody likes to be alienated for being weird. Nothing wrong with individual style though.

My theory is if you go off the beaten path DO IT WELL. Leave a mark so that others may be inclined to take the risk and also create something unique.

If it doesn't come off as a hit drop it......We all make mistakes. I have made several style mistakes in my life but I learned from them.

Dear Brother:

I understand your "ethnic persuasion" but let me give you piece of advice. As you age you'll likely discover what I learned 40 years ago, less is often more. This is why I prefer unaccented rings. (Perhaps my initials on a Signet ring, or a custom College ring from my Alma Mater). The only other ring that I would want is one with my old Navy Squadron's symbol on it. (Sentimental reasons).

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Look up "The Art Of Manliness". Look under how to wear jewelry. Ther are great tips and it allows for men to wear jewelry without looking as if they are a pimp in a bordello.

Edward

Bartender
Of course, a lot depends on whether one wishes to be subtle. Personally, I enjoy greatly the sort of souvenir rings that look like they might be worn by Sonny Barger channelling Liberace. ;)

Captain O

One of the Regulars
For the most part, bracelets on mature men of Caucasian origin (in conservative circles) are usually ID bracelets or copper bracelets (that are reputed to relieve the aches and pains of rheumatoid arthritis). My Citizen Eco-Drive watches are the limit of my wrist carries. I prefer to be viewed as dressing a bit more conservatively than others.

It may be just a cultural thing, but I just can't see myself wearing excessive jewelry. Perhaps a ring on my right hand (I won't wear a ring on my left hand, because I'm, once again, single. (It has been almost six years). I can't see any reason to wear any more metal on my body.

That is just my opinion, but evidently, I'm in the minority.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Question: do leather accessories fall into the category of jewelry?

Anyhow, here is a buckskin cuff that I recently bought from a Native artisan:
il_570xN.1086188152_1do0.jpg

Also I recently bought some black paracord and buckles to make a couple of those "survival bracelets", but still have to figure out how to go about with them.

CNYC

New in Town
Paracord can be fun! I made bracelets using 316L stainless hardware that came out very cool. Youtube has easy to follow videos. Go for it.

Still in mexico but picked up this santa muerte rosary bead necklace for $8. The indians from Oaxaca make them. Nice people and very talented.

Unfortunately I cant wear my nice jewelry down here. I got jumped by two guys a few weeks ago for a plated chain. I managed to hit one guy in the face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails