Should Men Wear Bracelets ?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Sonero, May 1, 2017.

1. Nice bracelets @Sonero !

Whirling Logs ... a good luck symbol in many cultures long before the Nazis ruined it. We have a vintage basket that we’ve had to explain to more than one concerned parent of my kid’s friends.

E6793F3F-B193-471C-B0B3-EF5182EB288A.jpeg

2. Jaxenro

Jaxenro One of the Regulars

No the swastika is a known Native American design with a long history pre dating its use in Germany in the early to mid 1900’s

This is an interesting article from the BBC detailing the historical uses

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

3. On street maps of Japan the location of Buddhist temples are denoted by a swastika.

[​IMG]

M Hatman likes this.
  4. OldStrummer

OldStrummer Practically Family

I find it interesting that this topic should resurface just as I am about to start working on some paracord projects. Nearly every site, book or tutorial starts with creating bracelets. For those not in the know, paracord (short for "parachute cord") is a high tensile strength nylon cord that is found in nearly ever survivalist's pack. Its use in emergency situations are numerous, and since it doesn't mold, mildew or or lose its strength, it's very handy.

The problem is, how does one carry 30 feet of paracord? The answer - turn it into a bracelet. Tightly woven using a variety of knots and weaves, a long strand of paracord can be turned into a bracelet.

[​IMG]

shadowrider, Feraud and BobHufford like this.
  5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Red Rabbit is re-creating Navajo styles that were available at Fred Harvey hotels in the 1920s and 30s. Some of the coolest vintage ones have those "whirling logs". I avoid those for the same reason many would, but I love the style and there are many without that symbol.

Edward, BobHufford and Sonero like this.
  6. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

I have spent many hours making paracord bracelets :) I came up with some pretty cool creations by adding metal D-rings and other metal fasteners to them BUT in the end I felt like a boy scout wearing them.

They are big with law enforcement because of the tactical uses of paracord. I CRINGE when I see a law enforcement officer wearing one. All I can think of is him twiddling around with paracord in the garage while the wife is feeding the kids...too goofy for me.

IMHO for kids only. If you are an outdoorsman then maybe a paracord key FOB attached to a backpack or something would work.

OldStrummer likes this.
  7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Here's a Fred Harvey Era cuff that I didn't "win" last week:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 1.42.40 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 1.42.19 PM.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. OldStrummer

for

I'm flying solo these days (no wife or kids at home), so twiddling with paracord is more like I imagine quilting/crocheting is for someone else. I'm not really into bracelets, but as a learning tool, they can be handy. And I can give them out if I wish. I have two personal use cases I'm interested in addressing. The first is a replacement zipper pull tab on a leather jacket I own, and the other is a replacement attic ladder pull string. The latter is currently just a piece of string that bites into my hand every time I need to get into the attic. The paracord seems like a "soft" convenient way to make the pull strong yet harmless.

By the way, sites abound where one can purchase pre-made paracord bracelets. In fact, when I started researching the "how" of making them, I was astounded with the number of sites selling them.

Sonero likes this.
  9. alanfgag

alanfgag

10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Keef copped elements from Brian, but he definitely has a cool factor that no other of his contemporaries quite managed (save perhaps Jimbo Morrison and Hendrix). I have a copy of Keef's handcuffs bracelet, which I enjoy wearing when I'm feeling flamboyant.

It's a symbol you'll also see a lot in India, associated with Buddhist and Hindu sites.

Yeah. I certainly appreciate that in India and Japan it may be different, but in Western Europe and the US, probably many other places, the swastika is irredeemable. If I were reproducing this sort of thing I'd avoid it, not least for fear 'the wrong type' would be buying and sporting my work.

11. DanH

DanH New in Town

Paracord may be trendy right now but it is very practical and accessories that are not just good looking but useful appeal to me. I don't wear the bracelets but do have them in my outdoor gear along with keychain fobs, equipment lanyards and zipper pulls. I have 2 different paracord hatbands that I have attached to my Tilley hats.

12. Sonero

As an owner of * 6 Tilley hats I demand that you show us a picture :)

13. OldStrummer

I'm revisiting this thread because I just finished my first paracord project: a replacement zipper pull for one that broke off a brown leather jacket of mine. I couldn't find brown at the local craft shops, so I made this one to hold me over until I can get some. It's simple, and probably not as well made as one I hope to make as I get better.

[​IMG]

Mr. Nantus, Bamaboots and Edward like this.
  14. Sonero

I am looking into this one. Thoughts ? I think maybe too fem but I really like it otherwise.

Stingray. I love Stingray Leather.

il_570xN.597197767_9ouh.jpg

il_340x270.1490588321_tldl.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    M Hatman, shadowrider and BobHufford like this.
  15. ClassyMica

ClassyMica New in Town

These are fantastic! I love the designs on these! They really stand out and could be a great focus point if there are layered. I absolutely love these. Sorry I'm a gusher.

16. alanfgag

alanfgag

I love them too. Happy to have a fellow gusher.

ClassyMica likes this.
  17. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I just got this one
    IMG_4057.JPG

alanfgag, Feraud and BobHufford like this.
  18. Dickie Teenie

Dickie Teenie A-List Customer

I love these two Bad Bronc cuffs.

Bad Bronc cuff.JPG Bad Bronc cuff 2.JPG

19. Very nice! Was the second one originally a belt buckle?

20. Dickie Teenie

Dickie Teenie A-List Customer

No, it was designed that way. His belt buckles are very nice as well. If you're on Instagram check out Badbroncstudios.

BobHufford likes this.