Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Men Wear Bracelets ?

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I find it interesting that this topic should resurface just as I am about to start working on some paracord projects. Nearly every site, book or tutorial starts with creating bracelets. For those not in the know, paracord (short for "parachute cord") is a high tensile strength nylon cord that is found in nearly ever survivalist's pack. Its use in emergency situations are numerous, and since it doesn't mold, mildew or or lose its strength, it's very handy.

The problem is, how does one carry 30 feet of paracord? The answer - turn it into a bracelet. Tightly woven using a variety of knots and weaves, a long strand of paracord can be turned into a bracelet.

paracord-survival-bracelet.jpg

Red Rabbit is re-creating Navajo styles that were available at Fred Harvey hotels in the 1920s and 30s. Some of the coolest vintage ones have those "whirling logs". I avoid those for the same reason many would, but I love the style and there are many without that symbol.

Sonero

Practically Family
I find it interesting that this topic should resurface just as I am about to start working on some paracord projects. Nearly every site, book or tutorial starts with creating bracelets. For those not in the know, paracord (short for "parachute cord") is a high tensile strength nylon cord that is found in nearly ever survivalist's pack. Its use in emergency situations are numerous, and since it doesn't mold, mildew or or lose its strength, it's very handy.

The problem is, how does one carry 30 feet of paracord? The answer - turn it into a bracelet. Tightly woven using a variety of knots and weaves, a long strand of paracord can be turned into a bracelet.

paracord-survival-bracelet.jpg

I have spent many hours making paracord bracelets :) I came up with some pretty cool creations by adding metal D-rings and other metal fasteners to them BUT in the end I felt like a boy scout wearing them.

They are big with law enforcement because of the tactical uses of paracord. I CRINGE when I see a law enforcement officer wearing one. All I can think of is him twiddling around with paracord in the garage while the wife is feeding the kids...too goofy for me.

IMHO for kids only. If you are an outdoorsman then maybe a paracord key FOB attached to a backpack or something would work.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I have spent many hours making paracord bracelets :) I came up with some pretty cool creations by adding metal D-rings and other metal fasteners to them BUT in the end I felt like a boy scout wearing them.

They are big with law enforcement because of the tactical uses of paracord. I CRINGE when I see a law enforcement officer wearing one. All I can think of is him twiddling around with paracord in the garage while the wife is feeding the kids...too goofy for me.

IMHO for kids only. If you are an outdoorsman then maybe a paracord key FOB attached to a backpack or something would work.
for

I'm flying solo these days (no wife or kids at home), so twiddling with paracord is more like I imagine quilting/crocheting is for someone else. I'm not really into bracelets, but as a learning tool, they can be handy. And I can give them out if I wish. I have two personal use cases I'm interested in addressing. The first is a replacement zipper pull tab on a leather jacket I own, and the other is a replacement attic ladder pull string. The latter is currently just a piece of string that bites into my hand every time I need to get into the attic. The paracord seems like a "soft" convenient way to make the pull strong yet harmless.

By the way, sites abound where one can purchase pre-made paracord bracelets. In fact, when I started researching the "how" of making them, I was astounded with the number of sites selling them.

Edward

Bartender
I'm surprised that I haven't seen old Keef's name mentioned here (Keith Richards), as it was Keith who made such articles as bracelets, silk scarves, beaded necklaces, etc. okay for guys (including Mr. Depp). But Keith was emulating, in a somewhat more macho way, the great Brian Jones, founder of the Rolling Stones, who was also largely responsible for reintroducing black American blues and rhythm-and-blues to the U.S. His whole look, the long bowl-cut hair, the sailor's striped shirts, the beads and what-not, were all emulated by the bands of the mid and later "60's, as well as by a great many of the punks (including Johnny and DeeDee Ramone). Credit where it's due.

Keef copped elements from Brian, but he definitely has a cool factor that no other of his contemporaries quite managed (save perhaps Jimbo Morrison and Hendrix). I have a copy of Keef's handcuffs bracelet, which I enjoy wearing when I'm feeling flamboyant.

On street maps of Japan the location of Buddhist temples are denoted by a swastika.

google-maps-image-of-kyoto-and-temple-manji.jpg

It's a symbol you'll also see a lot in India, associated with Buddhist and Hindu sites.

Red Rabbit is re-creating Navajo styles that were available at Fred Harvey hotels in the 1920s and 30s. Some of the coolest vintage ones have those "whirling logs". I avoid those for the same reason many would, but I love the style and there are many without that symbol.

Yeah. I certainly appreciate that in India and Japan it may be different, but in Western Europe and the US, probably many other places, the swastika is irredeemable. If I were reproducing this sort of thing I'd avoid it, not least for fear 'the wrong type' would be buying and sporting my work.

DanH

New in Town
Paracord may be trendy right now but it is very practical and accessories that are not just good looking but useful appeal to me. I don't wear the bracelets but do have them in my outdoor gear along with keychain fobs, equipment lanyards and zipper pulls. I have 2 different paracord hatbands that I have attached to my Tilley hats.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I'm revisiting this thread because I just finished my first paracord project: a replacement zipper pull for one that broke off a brown leather jacket of mine. I couldn't find brown at the local craft shops, so I made this one to hold me over until I can get some. It's simple, and probably not as well made as one I hope to make as I get better.

2018-04-15%2015.16.49-X3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk