Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show NO Shirt Cuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
A note about showing linen; it's not purely aesthetic as the shirt cuff serves to prevent the jacket cuff from coming in contact with the hand/wrist, greatly diminishing soiling and threadwear.

Well, now we've come full circle. lol

Shirt cuff says to tweed sleeve: "Protect me!" Tweed sleeve says to shirt cuff: "No, protect me!"

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Yes but you just don't have the Duke of Windsor factor to make it go over. :p ;)
I think the new rules involve flip flops more than traditional dress though. For instance: "Do these flip flops go with my dinner gown?" :eek: :eusa_doh:

That depends...is your dinner gown floor length or skimming the knee, Mr. Powers?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
He consorted with the Nazis?! That's new to me. :eek:

In 1937, the Duke and Duchess visited Germany, against the advice of the British government, and met Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden. The visit was much publicized by the German media. During the visit the Duke gave full Nazi salutes.

Nazi_Windsors.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
That's true. I work for a living, don't consort with Nazis, and am not married to a shrill divorcee.

The DoW's spotty employment history and dubious social affiliations don't bother me nearly as much as his association with That Woman, if in fact she actually was one. ;)

'pparently there was an attempt by the german secret services to get them on board to take over after the proposed invasion of britain. Story goes e was horrified, whereas she was willing to hear 'em out.

Oh yes, sleeves. I never take much notice of showing shirt cuff. So long as the jacket sleeves don't cover half my hand i'm generally happy.

bk

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Dook

His father, George V, once said that his son would ruin himself within 6 months of becoming king. Pretty astute.
BTW, what was the topic? Or. . . . sorry for the off the cuff remark.

Haversack

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie wrote: "Next you all will be arguing over how buttons should be sewn onto things...."

Well, If I am remembering right, there are, or used to be different patterns for stitching buttons on depending on the country. The Continent favoured diagonal stitches whereas the USA and UK favoured orthagonal. Not very critical unless you are a POW crafting some escape clothes. Its the simple, little details that can trip you up.

Haversack.

Haversack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier wrote: "And I'm sure the "Ask Andy" and "London Lounge" forums have longwinded threads devoted to that."

But I thought we were getting all the gusts in the Observation Bar today?

Haversack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo