Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show NO Shirt Cuff

Jovan

Suspended
I'd still get tweeds made with sleeves that show 1/4-1/2" of cuff. I'm not overly concerned if OTR sportcoats don't fit perfectly there, though. In any case, I'd never really use them for hunting or anything. My friend may posit that tweed and brown shoes aren't appropriate for the city, but I don't follow such rules.

Jovan said:
I'd still get tweeds made with sleeves that show 1/4-1/2" of cuff. I'm not overly concerned if OTR sportcoats don't fit perfectly there, though. In any case, I'd never really use them for hunting or anything. My friend may posit that tweed and brown shoes aren't appropriate for the city, but I don't follow such rules.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Okay, let me try to understand this. It's okay to follow one rule (about showing shirt cuffs) in order to not follow another rule (about not showing them). Huh?

Glad I am keeping out of this one..;)

Jovan

Suspended
I'm saying I wouldn't bother getting alterations done if it were an OTR coat that was only a bit longer in the sleeves. I expect more from getting them tailored, though. Does this make any sense? I'm sorry I opened up a whole other can of worms.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Okay, let me try to understand this. It's okay to follow one rule (about showing shirt cuffs) in order to not follow another rule (about not showing them). Huh?

I was for showing cuffs before I was against it. Vote carebear in '08. :D

Jovan

Suspended
"Flip-flop!" :p*

Why are you now against it? It's pretty much required with suits if not sportcoats. [huh]

*If that's getting too close to politics, let me know and I'll remove it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Now, now, folks ... don' getcher unmenshenbles all bunched up. Settle down a spell. Have a puff on the ol' corn cob. Now you jes' lissen here ...

Ain't no 'fficial rule 'bout havin' heavy tweed jackets wit' sleeves long 'nuff t'cover shirt cuffs. Ah just made de danged thang up, t'oh ah faller et mesself. Mebbe sech a rule really do exist yonder in Englan' or sumpin', an' mebbe et don'. Who kin' tell? Seems sensible 'nuff t'me, s'all. At least t'aint gawdawful. T'ats the long n' short of it, so te speak. [Cue to banjo lick.]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Linguists have criticized Joel Chandler Harris and other 19th century American "regionalist" writers about this. They say that Harris very unscientifically exaggerated his portrayal of Southern black dialects. Yes, he did have direct contact with Southern blacks, but he was writing for a white audience that enjoyed black stereotypes: the broader the better.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It seems to me, a tweed sportcoat is esentially a coat, at least the kind really used for sport. It is not a suit jacket.

Therefore, I would be inclined to go with the no cuff. It almost seems that the cuff showing is an evolved affectation. There is no good reason for it. Hence my vote is for no cuff. besides that, when I imagine it, it seems like it would look funny.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's how I see it. Though many would disagree, I feel that overdressing can be as tacky as underdressing. I wouldn't give my old hiking boots a spit shine, or starch my tattersall buttondown shirt to a cardboard stiffness, because that's not what they're all about.

Likewise, a heavy, thick tweed sportcoat isn't about being dressy, though it certainly does look good. It's ultimately about keeping warm and being covered from the countryside's elements, albeit in a classic, handsome way.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
It seems to me, a tweed sportcoat is esentially a coat, at least the kind really used for sport. It is not a suit jacket.

Therefore, I would be inclined to go with the no cuff.
I agree, I wouldn't show linen on a shooting or riding jacket that was actually used in those pursuits. But, city tweed is a different story.

Marc Chevalier said:

No, we just aren't following your made up rule. :p

I quote:
"Here's the deal: I have this rule. Don't know where I picked it up from...or if it even exists. Probably just imagined the whole thing."

The ether doesn't make rules but I am sure the imagination does. :p ;)lol

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A note about showing linen; it's not purely aesthetic as the shirt cuff serves to prevent the jacket cuff from coming in contact with the hand/wrist, greatly diminishing soiling and threadwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn