Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show NO Shirt Cuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Ha! That got your attention!

Here's the deal: I have this rule. Don't know where I picked it up from...or if it even exists. Probably just imagined the whole thing.

In any case, my personal rule is this: On a heavy tweed sportcoat, make sure its sleeves are long enough to hide the shirt cuffs.

Why? I guess because heavy tweed jackets are traditionally more functional than dressy. They're 'supposed to' cover you up and keep you warm, clean, and protected from brambles and thistles. Hence the shirt cuffs stay tucked into the coat sleeves.

Ever heard of such a fashion 'rule'? Real or not, does it make any sense?

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
.Ever heard of such a fashion 'rule'? .
No.

Real or not, does it make any sense?
I guess, if your wrists get cold. But you could always wear gloves and/or an overcoat.

I like to show "linen" and feel improperly dressed if I don't. Curse the tailor who makes my sleeves too long!

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
I was thinking about the risk of getting your shirt cuffs soiled by the great outdoors. As in shooting, stalking, etc. The tweed jacket's sleeves would protect the linen inside.

Oh. Well in that case, isn't some soilage to be expected? Part of the experience?

manton

A-List Customer
It's hard to get more out of touch with the outdoors than I am. When I do venture into nature, or onto its periphery even, I don't wear nice clothes.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
These fellows all agree with Marc

glen-jacket.jpg

sr_manri_tweedcrail.jpg

jacket_keeperstweedl.jpg

29_th.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member