Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show NO Shirt Cuff

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
And I'm sure the "Ask Andy" and "London Lounge" forums have longwinded threads devoted to that. lol

Some of our best threads are about the most unimaginably, microscopically stupid topics. Great fun!

Feraud

Bartender
I am not going to be the one to tell Dean he is showing too much cuff.
scan0115.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
You must know a lot of cuff showing perverts.

Seriously though, if the jacket sleeves are where they should be, there shouldn't be much more than a half inch showing. Thom Browne or Duncan Quinn would disagree with me though. :p

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
Oh yes, sleeves. I never take much notice of showing shirt cuff. So long as the jacket sleeves don't cover half my hand i'm generally happy.

bk

I'm with the good Baron. In the Aussie climate, sub-tropical most parts of the year, if you want to show off your cufflinks, you'll get plenty of opportunity because you'll have your coat off more often than not. Local tailoring aesthetics prefer the showing of minimal cuff.

Cobden

Practically Family
The rule I was always taught was the more formal, the more cuff.

Tweeds: no cuff
Blazers and lounge suits: half way to the cufflink
Semi formal suits: bottom of the cufflink
DJ's, and formal clothes: half the cufflink.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Cobden said:
The rule I was always taught was the more formal, the more cuff.

Tweeds: no cuff
Blazers and lounge suits: half way to the cufflink
Semi formal suits: bottom of the cufflink
DJ's, and formal clothes: half the cufflink.
What's the difference between lounge and semi-formal?

Cobden

Practically Family
Should have stated semi formal daywear. Not sure how widespread it is, but I use it for three piece or double breasted dark blue/grey/black suits or 'bank manager' suits - slightly more formal then businesswear or daywear suits. Funerals, weddings where morning dress isn't appropriate, afternoon receptions, etc...

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
When did dress shirts stop being classified as undergarments? Anyone else consider it inappropriate to show your shirt sleeves in public? For example: always wearing your jacket/sweater.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I know =). However, I don't want to show my shirt sleeves anymore because of the armpit stains on my dress shirt, I can't afford OxyClean. I also want to dress "a bit" more modestly.

Research proves that the less skin you show, the more intelligible people will think of you.

This video sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uysgwM6gkk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo