Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Porkpies

bobjoy30

New in Town
Hat rebash?

I have a LOT of hats I'd like to do this to. How is it performed?

bolthead said:
It's now a Pork Pie as well.....

I said all along that I wanted a Blue pork Pie, and now I finally do.....

Before.......
DisneyLancer2.jpg
DisneyLancer1.jpg

After......
Lancer004.jpg
Lancer002.jpg
Lancer006.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
finally i got my porkpie

i had optimo refurbish this old mallory i was gonna pinch it in the front ala popeye but it seems ive lost my nerve, i just love the crease they put in it and i cant bring myself to change it any (yet)
2dai0j4.jpg

2en57h5.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
150719541 said:
In my office, a Borsalino. Trilby alined to porkpie"
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
looks great on you. with that wide flat brim and the flat top it almost looks like a boater.
I love boaters , (perhaps my moniker gives that away):eusa_doh:

Glenn77

New in Town
Robert Oppenheimer

For as long as I was old enough to know who he was (I vaguely remember the Time magazine cover published after the bomb was dropped) I have been an admirer of Robert Oppenheimer. As some of you may know, he was famous for wearing porkpie hats. For years I have been looking for one like he wore as shown in old photos. His was somewhat unusual in that his hats had brims that were wider than the contemporary incarnation. Thanks to this forum, I was introduced to the hats made by Art Fawcett. His porkpies appear to have the brim size I have been looking for. Thanks for letting me know about these terrific hats.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Recently acquired Stetson Nostalgia, bashed into a pork pie. I was really jonesing for a good gray pork pie since my gray Biltmore pork pie was too low-crowned, and I re-bashed my Francato Cappello into a standard round pork pie and gave it to my brother-in-law after he had brain surgery. This fills the bill, nice high crown, straight sides, just the right brim size.

nostalgiaside.jpg

nostalgiafront.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I refined my Nostalgia pork pie a little, lowered the side walls just a tad, tightened the crease and raised the dome so it protrudes slightly.

nosw.jpg

nosfl1.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i would say that's an improvement Mr. E Train its very nice hat. i still haven't got the nerve up to personalize mine yet well i added a feather dose that count? i guess i need to post a pic before i ask that . Give me a day to get one up.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
Tom-in-Perris ; wow thats a hella ribbon i have to say. That's the cool thing about porkies though pretty much anything goes i bet that turns some heads. speaking of that hows about a head-shot?

Last edited:

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Midwest Boater thank you for your compliment on my ribbon work. As to your request for a head shot well that may be difficult. I made the hat for a customer of mine in Kansas. He just recently received it and I have received very positive reaction from him. In fact so much so he wants me to make him another one. :D So I am off to recycle another old cowboy hat and turn it into a Pork Pie.:cool: I didn't being green would be so good!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I decided to use my Bailey conversion to experiment with a porkpie crease. This hat is made with a very thick felt and not easy to work with. I was still playing with it hours after taking these pictures.

What I found interesting, and even somewhat fun, was trying to determine the height of the crown in relation to the ribbon, the hat, and my face/head.

Before:
0402002026.jpg

After:
1016101651a.jpg

1016101653.jpg

I like it better with the porkpie.

I think porkpies are more of a shorter brimmed hat. I have two older Dobbs, both with 2 inch brims. One is tan and one is gray. I think Im gonna try this on the gray one next, simply because I prefer the way the tan one looks on me the way it is.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
I decided to use my Bailey conversion to experiment with a porkpie crease. This hat is made with a very thick felt and not easy to work with. I was still playing with it hours after taking these pictures.

What I found interesting, and even somewhat fun, was trying to determine the height of the crown in relation to the ribbon, the hat, and my face/head.

Before:
0402002026.jpg

After:
1016101651a.jpg

1016101653.jpg

I like it better with the porkpie.

I think porkpies are more of a shorter brimmed hat. I have two older Dobbs, both with 2 inch brims. One is tan and one is gray. I think Im gonna try this on the gray one next, simply because I prefer the way the tan one looks on me the way it is.

Nice job with the new crease the pork pie has to be one of the most difficult to do. with the wide sweeping brim it looks like a gambler to me
34gko5e.jpg

i'm not saying that's bad in fact i love the one Nicholson wore in Batman!
i3yu8g.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Nice job with the new crease the pork pie has to be one of the most difficult to do. with the wide sweeping brim it looks like a gambler to me
34gko5e.jpg

True, but I use this hat for experimentation. As it happens, late yesterday, I converted another hat, a 2" snap-brim Dobbs, to a porkpie. I think it looks much better, more like a porkpie overall, than the brown Bailey. Ive been wearing it for a while now, getting used to it on my head. I'll snap and post some pics soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy