Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Porkpies

Memo

Familiar Face
Mr E Train's Nostalgia Porkpie is a sight to behold - Brave and Bold and looks bad ass! Great Job

One Too Many
Hi Ernest ¡¡¡¡ geatings from S. L.P., México, I am always fixing my hats, because the cost with Haters is so expensive, there are many way to fix the crown-hats, in this hat, I got two fedoras to porky pie, firsth wet and give form like you want, put it dry at sunshine or into a car, when becomes dry, put by back side crown hair spray and the hat will be in this way for a lot time.
Cheers ¡¡¡¡

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I got two fedoras to porky pie, firsth wet and give form like you want, put it dry at sunshine or into a car, when becomes dry, put by back side crown hair spray and the hat will be in this way for a lot time.

I don't know if I'd recommend that. Wetting the hat, sure, but letting it dry in the sun or a hot car, that's fine if you're trying to shrink the hat. I just set the hat on a hat jack so the sweatband is resting on it and the brim is not resting on any surface, and let the hat air dry at room temperature.

Hair spray? Never used it on a hat, but I guess it's just shellac and won't hurt anything. I sure don't like the smell of it, though.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi Ernest ¡¡¡¡ geatings from S. L.P., México, I am always fixing my hats, because the cost with Haters is so expensive, there are many way to fix the crown-hats, in this hat, I got two fedoras to porky pie, firsth wet and give form like you want, put it dry at sunshine or into a car, when becomes dry, put by back side crown hair spray and the hat will be in this way for a lot time.
Cheers ¡¡¡¡

Drying a hat in an environment as hot as the inside of a car, presumably in summer-like weather, is not something I would recommend. The sweatband can become old before its time, and the felt will almost certainly shrink, leading to perhaps more taper than you were planning on.

Treat your hat like you would treat fine washables - let it sit out to dry in a comfortably cool-to-warm environment. I place my hats right-side-up on the top of a smooth-topped motorcycle helmet. No part of the hat touches anything it wouldnt touch if it was on my head. Works every time.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I've been wet forming hats for years, starting with cowboy hats years ago and I've always found that if you let the hat dry on your head, worn naturally, it will form to your head and you'll have a custom fit.

But I agree completely with Scotty, never leave a decent hat in the heat ... especially when it's wet.

Your hat's your best friend ... act like it

Sam

Mr E Train

One Too Many
rather than start a new thread:

i'm looking at a straw porkpie for next summer. best i've come up with is the Dobb's Ripper. any opinions/alternatives?

http://www.hats.com/p/256683/Dobbs-Ripper-Hat.aspx

Considering that I have a Dobbs Soul that appears to be constructed of the same kind of weave, and it's one the most comfortable hats I've ever worn, I'd say go for it. I'd probably have a Ripper if I could ever find one in XXL.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's that Dobbs. It is actually gray, not tan. I think it came out pretty funky. Actually got a compliment on it at work, first day out. A guy said, 'A porkpie. Awright (in the 'thats cool' tone)!

1019001709halfsize.jpg

1019001709a_halfsize.jpg

edit: I just half-sized them and theyre just as big. Oh well.
very nice i prefer the lower crown on a porkie my self . dose it rub the top of your head ? mine dose and i like it that way.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, 150.

MB, when I creased it, I did it both on and off my head. The crown just about touches my head. What I found to be a problem, so to say (because it really isnt a problem), is that the liner, shaped for a higher fedora, doesnt lay flat and smooth in this lower crown and bunches up a bit. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), the liner has lost just about all of its stiffness and didnt stay put when the hat was a fedora, either. So its not uncomfortable, it just look weird (not smooth and in place) before I put the hat on.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
hey Jauntyone that's one sweet looking lid and very jaunty with the brim snapped down like that . mostly i like porkies with the brim snapped up but then folks couldn't see that supper sweet welted trim ive never seen one like that, if you cant get used to it give me a pm :) just kidding sort of.

DRB

One Too Many
Here's a hat that's a double first for me--my first porkpie, and the first time I've ever had, or seen, a vintage hat with this bound and welted brim treatment:

usa2010062.jpg

usa2010053.jpg

usa2010054-1.jpg

I must say that that vintage hat with this bound and welted brim treatment is one of the most unique hats I have seen. I have never seen a brim treatment like that. I absolutely love it ! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points