Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Porkpies

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I just made an interesting observation that Porkpies and Boaters are basically the same shape in a different material. The part I find odd / unexpected / backwards is that the Pork Pie is a felt hat, but is more casual while the straw hat is the more formal even stuffy hat of the two. I'll crawl back inside my hole now.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Okay, here's that Dobbs. It is actually gray, not tan. I think it came out pretty funky. Actually got a compliment on it at work, first day out. A guy said, 'A porkpie. Awright (in the 'thats cool' tone)!

1019001709halfsize.jpg

1019001709a_halfsize.jpg

edit: I just half-sized them and theyre just as big. Oh well.

Last edited:

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Okay, here's that Dobbs. It is actually gray, not tan. I think it came out pretty funky. Actually got a compliment on it at work, first day out. A guy said, 'A porkpie. Awright (in the 'thats cool' tone)!

1019001709halfsize.jpg

1019001709a_halfsize.jpg

edit: I just half-sized them and theyre just as big. Oh well.

Nice job! It really suits you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Mr. E. Thats one of the nice things about messing with your own hats. You can play with the dimensions until you get it to what you consider just right. I had this one, as well as the brown Bailey, at different heights before I decided what looked best.

sfend002

Familiar Face
For as long as I was old enough to know who he was (I vaguely remember the Time magazine cover published after the bomb was dropped) I have been an admirer of Robert Oppenheimer. As some of you may know, he was famous for wearing porkpie hats. For years I have been looking for one like he wore as shown in old photos. His was somewhat unusual in that his hats had brims that were wider than the contemporary incarnation. Thanks to this forum, I was introduced to the hats made by Art Fawcett. His porkpies appear to have the brim size I have been looking for. Thanks for letting me know about these terrific hats.

I enjoyed his story in the book Outliers. Did you happen to read it?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Thanks, Mr. E. Thats one of the nice things about messing with your own hats. You can play with the dimensions until you get it to what you consider just right. I had this one, as well as the brown Bailey, at different heights before I decided what looked best.

Commercially available pork pies are usually pretty low-crowned and the liner often ends up laying on top of my head, which is why I had my eye on a Stetson Nostalgia, so I could make one with a decently high crown and a non-stingy brim.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Hi, I just made an interesting observation that Porkpies and Boaters are basically the same shape in a different material. The part I find odd / unexpected / backwards is that the Pork Pie is a felt hat, but is more casual while the straw hat is the more formal even stuffy hat of the two. I'll crawl back inside my hole now.

Later

There are some similarities in the shape, but no one refers to a boater as a "straw pork pie" (at least no one knowledgable about hats). Boaters are completely flat on top rather than creased (although there are flat-top felt hats that get lumped together with pork pies) and have a flat brim while pork pies' brims are usually curled. I'm not sure how the boater became designated as a "dressy" hat, but it probably goes back to its origins in the Old World. The traditional thick, heavy straw weave of the boater seems to contribute greatly to its dressiness, probably because we're conditioned to see it that way through exposure to old movies and photos. I have a Panama straw boater made by Capas that I replaced the red-blue grosgrain ribbon on with a black puggaree, and it works pretty well as a casual summer hat.

31059_1416726494723_1129412022_1192250_730781_n.jpg

When I wear it I usually get smiles, whereas a traditional boater with the same clothing garners strange looks.

I don't know for a fact, but I would imagine that the pork pie's reputation as being slightly more casual than the fedora came from being associated with baggy-pants comedians and jazz musicians. I'm just guessing, though.

Last edited:

Big_e

Practically Family
So I bashed my black Sears stingy into a Porkpie. I still need to smooth out the rough edges with some steam. I haven't decided to keep a low crown or raise it just a bit.
Ernest

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
So I bashed my black Sears stingy into a Porkpie. I still need to smooth out the rough edges with some steam. I haven't decided to keep a low crown or raise it just a bit.
Ernest

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Very cool! Personally, I'd go a bit taller and a little shallower crease around the telescope, although your head's tilted back so it's hard to really tell how tall it looks on you. I'd say about the same proportions as scottyrock's above would be perfect for that hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ernest

Picture013.jpg
A spray bottle with water works better for me than steam. I dont have to worry about over-heating the hat. Its way easier, in general, when its wet. I usually do my reshaping at night so the hat has time to dry by morning.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
A spray bottle with water works better for me than steam. I dont have to worry about over-heating the hat. Its way easier, in general, when its wet. I usually do my reshaping at night so the hat has time to dry by morning.

Second that. I meant to mention that but then forgot. I use a spray bottle with distilled water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21