Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
that young gentleman is a case-study in what perfect trouser length looks like. They also drape beautifully. The only thing that seems a bit off to me is the width of the trouser leg vs the very fitted silhouette of the jacket. YMMV on that of course.

Metatron

One Too Many
that young gentleman is a case-study in what perfect trouser length looks like. They also drape beautifully. The only thing that seems a bit off to me is the width of the trouser leg vs the very fitted silhouette of the jacket. YMMV on that of course.

Agreed, although personally I like cuffed trousers to have no break.
As to the baggy trousers vs tight jacket, I enjoy the contrast, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Metatron

One Too Many
You have to chuckle at some of the quaint props combined with the expressions of the subjects:
Still life with tough guy and basket of flowers!

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great Great Great. What else to say? There are so many lovely details to comment upon.

TwoTypes could be the third man on the first photo... with the suit+scarf+flatcap. :)

I also love the dramatic and ubiquitous peak lapels.

Also here a great lesson what to do with a simple black suit jacket... just rock it with a dashing white hankerchief and a rough sweater!
Is it casual and utlitarian? Is it elegant and "formal"? Neither nor! In any case it works.

10409474_780990741923081_4444932860176752553_n_zpsc632ac6d.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
TwoTypes could be the third man on the first photo... with the suit+scarf+flatcap. :)

Cheers! I adore these photos. It must be one of the best archives of mid 20th century fashion that I've ever seen. I like the way that everyone's shoes/boots are dirty!

This bloke has something of the Herringbonekid about him:
portrait2_zps9ba5ebba.jpg

This lot look dangerous (bloke on the left is the leader of a gang and the bloke on the right is the muscle):
suit11_zps9ea5993c.jpg

And this will be my look for next winter:
overcoat4_zpse0a82c07.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think we can safely say that Romanians liked:
peaked lapels; buttoned breast pockets; one button jackets; not cleaning shoes.

Maybe its the combination of a Latin style and Eastern European ruggedness that makes these photos so damn impressive.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Anybody else wondering what happened to these guys?

Did they survive the war (Romania took a beating)? Did they stay there after the war, or are they our next door neighbours?

We will never know, of course

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks. for me, the really built up shoulders are what push it over the top.
if you took the badges / buttons off the lapels and toned the shoulders down i think it would look like a wearable, sporty (slightly quirky) jacket.

Agreed, although personally I like cuffed trousers to have no break.

too much break for me too.

As to the baggy trousers vs tight jacket, I enjoy the contrast, but it's definitely not for everyone.

i like the wide trousers-tight jacket contrast too, though in this case i think the built-up shoulders give the jacket an uptightness that doesn't sit with the more relaxed trousers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko