Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Interesting info on ITA - thanks!

Here also another piece of German tailoring, 1930's-50's Ulster coat...

Very high-end crafting, fully lined.

I really like the rounded, almost heart-shaped lapels.

1-12.jpg

2-8.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Black late-30's DB suit with interesting structured fabric.

These black "afternoon and evening" suits, were very versatile and used with proper accessories for almost any occasion (except sports :D).

1-13.jpg

3-7.jpg

6-4.jpg

This specimen is now for sale at the Classifieds!

Last edited:

cinetex

New in Town
Sales Lounge????

We are quite irritated.....why is it acceptable that members use the lounge to get their stuff sold better on Ebay?
If this is wanted we could easily list several hundred black german bread and butter suits.
We thought this forum is made for showing each other rather rare items and talk about......?????

svdwal

New in Town
Hi Cinetex,

If you have black suits in good sizes (36" waist / 40" chest) that you want to advertise here, be more than welcome. I am still looking for some.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Cinetex: Don't be irritated, the members here are allowed to buy and sell suits.

Don't forget that, in the past, members have also posted links to adverts for your suits and discussed in detail the suits that you sell.

You should use this as an opportunity to sell your suits - I'm sure there will be plenty of FL members who will be interested.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
As written above.
Note however that the "Classifieds" is for members privately selling on a small scale things they don't need, while there are different rules for professional vendors:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52323-Merchants-and-The-Fedora-Lounge

You are more than welcome to advertise for your articles at the FL in the "Merchants" section of the Forum:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Merchants

FAQ said:
What are the Classifieds?
This forum is for individual private members to sell items they no longer wish to own. Vendors are not permitted to post there.

What about advertising?
Companies are not allowed to promote their goods, have signatures or post in the classified forum unless they are a sponsor. Companies who help support this joint through advertising through banners or Classic Style magazine are called Vendor/Sponsors and do have that priviledge provided it is not over done. Also Vendor/Sponsors can post in the merchants forum. If this is something you are interested in, contact MK for details: mk@thefedoralounge.com

Best Regards

Last edited:
Not quite. As i understand it, to advertise in the Merchants section, one should be a fee-paying advertiser on FLounge.

the rules are there in order to stop commercial interests from dominating the classifieds section. can you imagine if someone like American Vintage Classics was allowed to do so in the Classifieds? It would no longer then be a forum for collectors to exchange stuff that doesn't fit them, with other collectors.

bk

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
As i understand it, to advertise in the Merchants section, one should be a fee-paying advertiser on FLounge.

the rules are there in order to stop commercial interests from dominating the classifieds section. can you imagine if someone like American Vintage Classics was allowed to do so in the Classifieds? It would no longer then be a forum for collectors to exchange stuff that doesn't fit them, with other collectors.

Yes, exactly. I added the pertaining rules and FAQ excerpt to the post above.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oops. It's actually black with pattern just like the last one Fastuni posted. Kinda self striped but with additional pattern in the weave
I just cropped the size and didn't make enough color correction (just a quick auto). Maybe I should have :eusa_doh:

The trousers have been made slimmer at some point but this is reversible. Fabric is still there and just hand stitched on the inside of the leg. Also note the clean single inward pleats.

It's too small for me and I will sell it soon.

Flat Foot Floey

Yes, I had to make the pictures a little too bright to show the details. The lining appears to block the light more than the wool fabric.

It's in pretty good condition. I couldn't find any moth holes. On the picture there might be some lint but should come of with a cleaning. Bought this suit about 3 months ago and had no time to look after it. Now I realised that it won't fit even after aliterations. :eusa_clap
It's about a 38 jacket (I measured a 40 inch chest flat) with 33/29 trousers plus some room to let out (+1,5?)

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Very nice suit Floey!

I'd say 1927 to 1935 at latest- I'd tend to early 30's. Looks very much like the pattern one finds in the ca.1929-32 tailoring publications.
Note the very (!) high pant waist, lack of belt-loops, silhouette of the coat, button to pocket relation and strongly slanted shoulder seams.
The tailor's label also looks appropriate.

It's comparatively rare to see black German suits with notched lapels and 2 button closure. They were not entirely uncommon, but normally one encounters either peak lapels (2 or 3 buttons) or if notched lapels with 3 buttons.

IMO the notch lapels make this more versatile - the combination with striped shirt and tie looks very good - not at all too "stiff and formal". Yet with the appropriate accessories, like a silver or blueish tie or even a black bow-tie, this would look also good as "elegant yet not too flashy" evening wear.

BTW after a while one really starts to appreciate the variety and differences of "simple" black, non?
Structure stripes or "fancy weaves" like this one IMO provide some interesting details.

Good to hear that the legs still have the full inlay! Too often the "excess" after tapering the legs was cut off.:mad:

Too bad though that it's not your size - nor would it quite fit me... :( :eusa_doh:

Cheers

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Thank you. Yes, I thought so too. I already have a black 3 button suit but the 2 button closure with wide lapels and the clean front of the trousers have a certain "something" . The breast pocket is also very high and angeled. You are right about the accesoires too. This kind of suit is good if the event is rather festive but not yet "black tie". I might take another picture with a more formal direction (and better color correction)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Two finds from the fleamarket:

1) A German Mid-30's Tuxedo jacket.
Interesting label denoting "Quality work".
The buttons help dating the jacket. See the three rings on the back?
These "drei Ringe" were introduced around 1934 (I'd have to check the exact date... could have been a bit later) to mark "German Steinnussknöpfe" (stonenut/corozo buttons).
Tailors were exhorted to use these "domestic" buttons to decrease foreign imports.

TuxGer0.jpg

TuxGer02.jpg

TuxGer01.jpg

TuxGer3.jpg

TuxGer4.jpg

2) A late 40's to early 50's double breasted suit jacket made in Czechoslovakia by "Kupcik - Brno"... Brno/"Brünn" being world-reknown for it's armament industries.
Very heavy padding and longish cut. If I am not mistaken, this is the "Svenska"-cut, created in 1948 in Sweden as a counterpart to the "Yankee fashion" (Euro-term for Bold Look).
Close-set single pair of buttons. Long jacket with long, but not overly wide lapels, slightly conical sleeves (often with no buttons) and very deep set pockets. The trousers for this would have been extra wide.

SAM_4635.jpg

SAM_4636.jpg

SAM_4638.jpg

SAM_4637.jpg

SAM_4640.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner