Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys... I was glad to find something at the fleamarket. Made walking at freezing temperatures worthwile.

Yes both fit me well - the tux sleeves could use an inch more, though.:rolleyes:

I like the cut of the Czech jacket - it's very long, one might almost be tempted to call it "zootish"... together with an open-collared white shirt it has a certain Eastern/Southern vibe to it.
It just needs wide cut slacks to go with it. Maybe I have luck in finding a black cloth with matching herringbone weave or even pants (help is welcome... ;) The fabric weave is secondary as longs as it's not fuzzy). Otherwise I don't really know what to combine it with - tried it with grey flanells, but IMO black slacks fit better.

Last edited:

Qirrel

Practically Family
A Swedish stroller and suit from the same source. My guess is early 1930s:

img3901xc.jpg

img3902m.jpg

img3903o.jpg

img3904hw.jpg

img3916l.jpg

img3917n.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The tone-in-tone stripes are quite nice Qirrel. Spices up any solid black suit.

Here my most recent additions - flea-market and online finds:

1) A Navy-Blue single-breasted orphaned jacket in perfect condition, which I would date to the early 1930's. Lightly padded shoulders, nipped waist and HUGE lapels. Tone-in-Tone structure stripes and bowl-shaped corrozo buttons. Very sturdy, tightly woven fabric. Looks great with cream or grey flannels.

0000_Sakko1.jpg

2) An early 1930's dark-blue tone-in-tone striped DB suit. Lightly padded shoulders here as well. Very soft falling fabric. Particularly beautiful are the dark-green, almost jade-like buttons.

0000_Bluesy2.jpg

0000_Bluesy3.jpg

0000_Bluesy4.jpg

3) A ca. 1938 black evening suit with IMO perfect DB proportions. The skirt hem is on the same height as the sleeves (which have not been let out).
Thick, soft wool. The trousers have double suspender buttons. Quite a waste if you ask me - certainly no wartime suit. :p

0000_BlackSuit1930s3.jpg

4) Least spectacular a black late-40's DB jacket. It has been converted to a tux by handstitching silk facings to the lapels. It was a rather shoddy job though - I took the silk off. Would work quite well with striped morning trousers.

00000_BlackSakko.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dark suits and sportscoats can be found in big second hand stores like "Kleidermarkt" too. You only need to invest a lot of time and you will most likely find random (small) sizes ;

But how Fastuni found some of the brown suits or the sportsjacket with the scalloped yokes and double chest pocket will remain a mystery to me too. It's his special gift I think.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
In Bavaria, Rudie. ;) The blue suit however was bought online.

Curiously the Munich "Kleidermarkt" has not whole suits AT ALL. They always sell jackets and pants separately... I suspect that in their depot they have some of the matching trousers of the jackets they sold. :eusa_doh:

Anyway fleamarkets have then and now some finds... but still one has to put a lot of time and effort into finding anything.
Yesterday was the annual giant "Theresienwiese"-Fleamarket with floods of people... even though it was raining and the ground turned into a horrible mud. ^^

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I can only wish to find as many gems as BK! :eek:

HBK, I'm pretty sure about the early 30's dating of the jacket.
The shoulders have only very little padding and would thus be rather atypical of the 1940's.
Continental (French/German) jackets already tended to narrower lapels by 1946-47. There are Late-40's to 50's jackets with quite wide peak lapels, but usually the are not that much "cut in" where the collar meets the lapels.

Also the silhouette, button stance and lapel shape remind me of these late-20's early-30's illustrations (hat-tip to FFF):

farbtafel010neuestemode.jpg

(I recently sent Two Types a charcoal jacket of similar cut... also with huge peak lapels that certainly is early to mid 30's.)

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Those are great finds.Well done!

That jacket I got from Fastuni is just having a couple of alterations. I'll be posting pics in this thread soon. It fits in with the discussion on the Great Gatsby/Brooks Brothers thread: the jacket is shorter than I would normally wear.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I actually found something that might fit you (will have to measure and photograph it during next week).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys... I was glad to find something at the fleamarket. Made walking at freezing temperatures worthwile.

Yes both fit me well - the tux sleeves could use an inch more, though.:rolleyes:

I like the cut of the Czech jacket - it's very long, one might almost be tempted to call it "zootish"... together with an open-collared white shirt it has a certain Eastern/Southern vibe to it.
It just needs wide cut slacks to go with it. Maybe I have luck in finding a black cloth with matching herringbone weave or even pants (help is welcome... ;) The fabric weave is secondary as longs as it's not fuzzy). Otherwise I don't really know what to combine it with - tried it with grey flanells, but IMO black slacks fit better.

What intrigues me is that after the travails of the War that there is still inter-War era stuff appearing at flea markets in Germany etc. Where would this stuff come from? Attics?

In Bavaria, Rudie. ;) The blue suit however was bought online.

Curiously the Munich "Kleidermarkt" has not whole suits AT ALL. They always sell jackets and pants separately... I suspect that in their depot they have some of the matching trousers of the jackets they sold. :eusa_doh:

Anyway fleamarkets have then and now some finds... but still one has to put a lot of time and effort into finding anything.
Yesterday was the annual giant "Theresienwiese"-Fleamarket with floods of people... even though it was raining and the ground turned into a horrible mud. ^^

Cheers I will have to talk to my brother about this when we speak next.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn