Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Bavaria is definitely the place for vintage suits! That's a splendid one. The rear of the trousers is fascinating.

And I'm still waiting for someone to start a 'Show us your vintage buttons' thread so that we can put together all those buttons with distinctive designs.

P.S. I'm still waiting for you to find a nice suit of that era in my size!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes it is quite special in its details, while conservative in its overall appearance. Also note the very high closing waistcoat.

I am always on the lookout... but hard enough to find anything larger than 38 and it is 99% black stuff. I have the ominous feeling that a whole lot of brown, grey and green suits of the past, have been altered into traditional Bavarian "Trachten" costumes througout the decades. Particularly flanells and woolens probably all too often shared this fate, but anything brown or grey can be turned into a Trachten costume by inserting red and green felt ornaments and botching collar and lapels.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry, I'm patient (and happy to wear black suits). I know it's out there somewhere - after all I've already had a waistcoat and three jackets from you!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Lovely suit. Not only the back pockets are unusual. German suits usually don't have slanted front pockets (neither are they in the side seam like in most British or US trousers) but piped front pockets. American (outward) pleats aren't standard either, methinks. Also, notice the backwards angle of the shoulder seam.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. It was a spontaneous and rushed visit to a fleamarket and I was very happy to find something immediately.

Rudie, if I remember correctly you are larger than 1,90 right? If I find something way too tall for me, I'll remember you.
Problem is that I also wear 39-40 Long (183 cm height, but I have long legs and arms...).

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Fastuni, I am only 186, but I bet my arms are way longer than yours. Think chest 40, Shoulders 19 and sleeves 27.75. I always need a lot of seam allowance. ;)
Thanks for keeping an eye open.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
German 1930-40's brown Fresco sport coat in size 40 R.
Very exquisite bespoke tailoring. The lining is neatly handsewn and the breathable fresco fabric has a great drape.

SAM_6077.jpg

SAM_6088.jpg

SAM_6089.jpg

SAM_6090.jpg

SAM_6082.jpg

For comparison a 1946 drawing of such a summer combination.
1946.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, exactly. ;) The hat btw is also from Saxony. The jacket from Nuremberg, the trousers Czechoslowakian.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
My Harris Tweed sportcoat arrived today.
It is Swedish! Made/sold by "Järven (Wolverine) Quality brand" and "Ivar Petersson".
First type Harris Tweed label.

The fabric is ginger herringbone with red and green flecks.
It came with leather buttons, but they were deteriorated and were badly (and wrongly) sewn on.
I replaced them with 30-40's "sunburst" buttons from Finland.

It fits like a glove!

Swed2.jpg
Swed5.jpg

Swed3.jpg

Swed1.jpg

Under the left lapel I found this:

Swed4.jpg

Albert Forslund was a Swedish Social-Democrat politician, who died in 1954.
1936 head of the trade union confederation, 1936-39 minister for communication and social affairs.
The pin was handed out on "Labor Day" 1955.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Forslund

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks - very interesting to know!
Have you ever heard about "Järven" clothes?

Since 30 years they apparently have switched entirely to health care, mattresses and acoustic technology... http://www.jarven.co.uk/
No idea whether this is the same company - at least the logo and name is quite identical.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Or ask the mods to change the title into continental european suits.

Great jacket and sweet tweed. Doesn't get much better than that. Louder maybe but not better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw