Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Trint

New in Town
I have a Järven labeled black three piece suit that belonged to my great grand father. He died in 1959. I guess that the suit is from the 40s, but could be earlier. Most significant are the very wide legged trousers. It fits me perfect exept for length of the trousers. It's a pity but I had to sacrifice the cuffs. But better used than still be hanging in the cold attic where I picked it up.
I will upload som pictures when I have some decent ones taken. I find it hard to get good pics of black clothing.

I made some research of Järven. It's not very much to find but to my surprise I found that Jarven had a tailoring/manufacturing business in my home town in Nothern Sweden.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Hello Trint,

Thanks for this information! It would be really appreciated if you could get some photos and more on this company.
Wide legged trousers sounds fantastic for sure.

Trint

New in Town
Ny Järven suit. Sorry bout the different lighting and the overall low quality of the pictures.
154157554.YFDhOrdQ.jpg
154157557.WApcWPPL.jpg

154157553.1W7EL1BM.jpg
154157556.4vTyh58c.jpg

154157552.p9dnFAve.jpg
154157551.9mmUkjcG.jpg
154157555.mSCKc0W0.Jarventag.JPG

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A late-30's to mid-40's German DB suit.
Dark blue herringbone flanell with pinstripes.

Alas the trouser legs have been taken in during the 50's - down to shocking 21 cm. I tried to restore them as good as possible... now they are 24.5 cm.
Too bad the "excess" has been cut off. I assume it once had beautiful 27-29 cm legs.

SAM_6223.jpg

SAM_6225.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The waistband looks like it has been altered, with the pleats running through the waistband. Or was that common in some styles?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Didn't notice it before, but it is unusual indeed!

I think it was designed that way.
Actually the top of the front pleats are open...
I assume that originally it had a self-fabric belt or front-belt running through.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
German 40's DB suit.
Midnight-blue fabric with cream pinstripes. Very special fabric. It is very sturdy with a smooth surface that has a very subtle purplish-blue shine.
Under artificial light, the suit looks rather black. Under sunlight more navy.

The legs are 10.6 inches wide... so more typically 40's.

Interestingly the interior of the hip pockets is made from the suiting fabric.

1-18.jpg

3-11.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks - the tie is from Floey. It is a German ¨Rhodia΅ pure silk.
In the tie-thread I have some more recent tie finds (from a lot).

"Frey"

I might have mistakenly posted this in the French suits thread a while ago. I found it in Paris but the features make me think it's German. 1930s or 40s? Tailor is "Frey". I think it's been shortened, but when I took apart the skirt seam I couldn't see any obvious evidence. done professionally, maybe?

freyjacket1.jpg

freyjacket2.jpg

freyjacket3.jpg

freyjacket4.jpg

freyjacket5.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I agree that it is from the German(-speaking) part of Europe.
Frey is a common name in Germany, and the tongues around the interior pockets are a typical feature.

I think it has been shortened, but only a very little bit. It is less the proportions (which look about right for ca. 1938) but the hard angular edge of the lower front, instead of the usual slight curve.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
SB jackets with a dead straight and right-angled front edge / corner existed (me and BK saw one -probably late 20s early 30s- in a London shop) but the one above isn't dead straight; it has a slight cutaway which makes me think its had about an inch and a half removed from the bottom edge, and would originally have had a sharp curved corner.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
1930s Thornproof tweed 3-piece sports suit with breeches.
Size 40 R tending slightly to the shorter side. Too short for my limbs anyway.

SAM_6461.jpg
SAM_6465.jpg

SAM_6464.jpg

SAM_6468.jpg

SAM_6470.jpg

SAM_6472.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Around 30 suits (20 for myself) and 20 sportcoats and odd jackets (half of them for myself).
As I sell and exchange all the time it is sometimes hard to keep track.:D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's more suits than some people have for their complete wardrobe (including underwear)!

And that thornproof fabric is amazing.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
German 40's DB suit.
Midnight-blue fabric with cream pinstripes. Very special fabric. It is very sturdy with a smooth surface that has a very subtle purplish-blue shine.
Under artificial light, the suit looks rather black. Under sunlight more navy.

The legs are 10.6 inches wide... so more typically 40's.

Interestingly the interior of the hip pockets is made from the suiting fabric.

1-18.jpg
That tie is absolutely gorgeous. Love it. The suit is fantastic as well! Thanks for sharing it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace