Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A 1935 German summer suit. Single-breasted peak lapel. I adore the shoulders!

Light weight worsted wool and purple-grey silky lining.
Grey with herringbone weave + light grey/white plaid and light blue stripes.

Size is a 38/40 Regular.

I'm undecided whether to extend the sleeves to fit me (hoping that the original edge won't be noticeable too much) or to sell it.

SAM_6594.jpg

SAM_6596.jpg

SAM_6600.jpg

SAM_6601.jpg

The coat could be worn with white flannels by the way... compare the outfit in the background of this 1939 German color plate at gentlemans gazette:

Summer-suits-in-brown-pinstripes-with-spectators-+-odd-jacket-summer-combination-466x600.jpg

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/men-summer-fashion-how/

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's a sweet find, Fastuni! Good luck with the sleeve issue. I've given up on vintage suits due to my monkey arms.:(

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes they are! Fortunately of the softer variety and not just 'bricks'.

Tomasso, as someone who needs 26 inches sleeves, I know this plight. But there are fortunately fitting originals to be found.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
But there are fortunately fitting originals to be found.
Sure but you have to kiss a lot of frogs and I haven't the patience. You and Thunderw21 have done very well but it sure ain't a walk in the park.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Fastuni, by any means, if there is enough seam allowance then keep it!

Tomasso, from monkey to monkey, how long are your monkey arms? To think that Fastuni complains that his short stump arms are too long...

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
There is a lot of fabric allowance, but my fear would be the original edge leaving a visible line...
a solution would be creating an inside seam to 'swallow' the old line. With the busy fabric it might work.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, if you can squeeze 27.75 inches out of them and the inseam is long enough I'll gladly take this worry off your mind. ;)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
That's my other headache. The pants are hopelessly short. Leaving out the entire cuff yields 110 cm legs. Too short for me. The sleeves can be let out to almost 26 inches inches, so ok for me to wear with solid trousers.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Again not a German suit, but Finnish - made from imported British cloth.
Ca. 1947-1950, the legs have been tapered according to the late 40's style and the excess cut off. *sigh*

Yet a quintessentially late 40's European suit (I have warmed up to the button configuration, which is quite typical of the period).
This one is a quite long 40.

Fin0.jpg

Fin1.jpg

Fin3.jpg

Fin4.jpg

Fin5.jpg

Fin6.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member