Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Very interesting finds, Papperskatt! It reminds me when my grand-parents used to live in the large family dwelling, a very ancient country-hous that our ancestors populated since the first centuries of Middle Age. Well, there was a large attic and there were wardrobes full of old clothing, surely pre-war; I remember that I used to read the different name in each label, to know how many relatives had lived there. Sadly these and many other older things were donated to a charity organisation back in 1996, during a restore of the house, when I was only a child.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Papperskatt, this is very exciting! Congratulations that some of the finds even fit you.
The DB short coat is nice and certainly quite old.

As to the stitched numbers... I have seen dates on German suits stitched in exactly that manner.

Now if you find anything wearable in size 38-40 Long(ish) let me know. ;-)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
After half a dozen Ulster coats, finally a period German SB Paletot with covered buttoning.

The fabric is wool & cashmere blend.
The label is by LACO (Lavy Company) a Hamburg-based company founded by a British Jew named Charles Lavy in 1838 as a silk manufacturer. It is the oldest tie manufacturer in the world! LACO continues to be a top German tie producer.

(See here for LACO tie: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...scarves-etc)&p=1764762&viewfull=1#post1764762)

Apparently they also offered a range of fine clothing in their stores - probably made by different makers and labeled by LACO.

It is long and reaches to the middle of my calves. I suppose it is late-1930's to early-1950's.

Laco1.jpg
Laco3.jpg

Laco4.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, thanks - that's how it is called.

Here another German three-piece SB. A charcoal-marengo peak lapel "afternoon & evening" suit from ca. 1938-41.
The cut is perfect - of course I'd have preferred a lighter grey, but I wear this one a lot. It is sturdy but comfortable.

Abenda%202.jpg

Abenda%203.jpg

Abenda%204.jpg

Abenda%205.jpg

Abenda%206.jpg

"Peek & Cloppenburg" shows an identical suit in a late 30's catalogue.
It is described as a finely striped or solid black "afternoon and evening suit" that is much demanded by the foreign market.

peekcloppenburg1930er01.jpg

For more festive occasions I combine it with a light grey DB waistcoat, as it was fashionable during the early 1940's.

SAM_7919.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I got this Swedish Edwardian jacket in the post a few days ago. The overall condition is quite good, although it is a bit dirty.

_MG_9310.jpg _MG_9309.jpg _MG_9308.jpg

It's a little too big for me, especially the length, but I haven't yet decided if I will alter it to wear or just keep it as a study piece.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Oh, nice!! That looks a lot better than it did on Facebook (I assume it's the one?). I am in the middle of buying the gray two-button one, these photos make me look forward to it even more! :)

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Yes, that's the one.

Good! I'm glad that you're getting it. :) I really wanted to get that one too, but in the end I opted out due to the damages and the size. I did also get a bunch of shirts from him, though.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Yes, that's the one.

Good! I'm glad that you're getting it. :) I really wanted to get that one too, but in the end I opted out due to the damages and the size. I did also get a bunch of shirts from him, though.

It turned out to be a little smaller, 20,4 chest instead of 21. I did also get a little discount because of the damages, but according to the seller they aren't very well visible because of the fabric... We'll see, I'll post a picture when it arrives!

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
My Swedish edwardian jacket has arrived as well. It is a little big on me and it also seems one of those early 1910's full cuts.

Still looks pretty good from the front:
IMG_8918_zpszjokxesu.jpg

(the damages aren't near as noticeable in real life as opposed to the photo)

But from the side is looks quite baggy:

IMG_8916_zpsx7dibw6v.jpg

The fabric (which is a sort of brownish gray and darker than the photo shows) and details like the rounded edges on the chest pocket are really nice:

IMG_8853_zpsa37dqixs.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Looking good. The fabric is really nice, with the red and orange stripes on the gray background. I really want a suit or jacket in a similar cloth.

I was suret hat it had a link button closure, is it not so?

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Will you have the jacket taken in Dostioffsky? The fit looks great in the shoulders and chest. I love the combo of natural shoulder + peak lapel + slanted breast pocket. Great find!

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I have been thinking about taking it in. On the one hand I am fairly sure it was meant to be so loosely. The jacket doesn't even have front darts. And I wouldn't want to change the original appearance too much. This suit on the left has a very similar cut:

640px-StateLibQld_1_132159_Four_young_men_receive_Gold_Medal_Awards_for_bravery_at_Government_House,_Bardon,_January_1913.jpg

But on the other hand, it would make for a nicer jacket. I placed 3 paper clips on the back seams this afternoon (taking in about 6cm in total) and it did already look a lot better, without really changing the general appearance. So I suppose a subtle alteration couldn't hurt. I would then also see if I can make the sleeves a bit narrower, those are annoyingly wide now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav