Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey Lauren, how was that velvet/volure on the collar and cuffs to work with?

And LOVELY fabric button holes as well :)

LD

ps can we get a pic of the lining?????

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you!!
Lady Day, here's a pic I took when I was putting the lining in, but I'll have to post a pic later of it done cause I don't have any photo editing stuff on my home computer.
jacket03.jpg

Cherry Red, I can't wait to see the dress!
And glass susie, beautiful work!

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Wal-Mart Fabric Section

Seeing Lauren's amazing suit reminded me, for those us of state side...
Wal-Mart is getting rid of it's fabrics departments in many of it's stores.

The company is being very cloak and dagger about when, where, and to what extent they are getting rid of the departments. It is however, happening. I managed to hit one here in Deco Dirt City and i got some amazing deals on various materials, everything from linings to heavier bottom weight materials.

I think I paid between $.75 and $1.83 a yard for most of what i got.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Smockie goodness

pat1831.2L.jpg

Using this fabulous image, and an old $2 skirt I found at the thrift store, I have made the perfect smock for my printmaking!! :D

I wanted to get the pattern, but they want $38 for it :eek:

Now I can create art and STILL look vintage! Yay!!

smockfront-1.jpg

Smock front

smockback.jpg

Smock back :D

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Elaina said:
WM is getting rid of all of them by the end of 2008, other then that it's a crap shoot if it'll happen in April, August or later.

Yep, out with the fabrics and sewing materials, in with more junk merchandise! :(

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Kim_B said:
Yep, out with the fabrics and sewing materials, in with more junk merchandise! :(

:D I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read, Mall-Wart Your Source for Cheap Plastic Crap!

That's too bad but not surprising about the loss of the fabric/sewing departments.

Folks like my mother who was raised in The Depression were doing creative recylcing a long time ago and reusing and remaking clothes, shoes and toys and eating out of the garden some days. And I think they had more quality "time" then we do thinking were saving time by buying things!

These outfits and creations are beautiful. Keep up the wonderful work. :eusa_clap

Elaina

One Too Many
When they get rid of the fabric completely, then we'll all have to be creatvie and go elsewhere.

Thing is, big chain fabric stores are slated to raise their prices by 2008 by about 25% (I read it somewhere. I can find out if it's important.)

I've been shopping on the internet becase WM selection is poor, I don't like the retarded people that overcharge me at Hancocks and JoAnn's is full of snotty witches. I go to an upholstery chain that the manager saves me nd runs that are on clearance, I just got a call today I needed to come in and look before she puts them out on the floor.

It's now going to be a creative process just getting fabric.

I could care less if WM does away with it's fabrics. Their quaily is just terrible. Cottons are thin and the weaves are too loose, prints are dull. I much rather pay a bit more at Hancock or Hobby Lobby. And if I need something special I can't find in town,the internet is the best source.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I've just went through this thread from beginning to end, and I am so impressed and jealous at how talented you all are!!! It's so inspirational! I used to sew as a kid - in my primary (elementary) school we spent a considerable amount of time learning to sew, knit and crochet. But I've just started again, and hope to post some pics soon. My big project is to make a graduation dress similar to this (with the bolero).

flat%20circle%20skirt.jpg

torso%20bolero%20three%20quarters.jpg

I've found a gorgeous emerald green satin with embroidered flowers reduced to clear in my local fabric shop for €10 per metre, so I'm thinking that, with black satin as a contrast fabric. It's a big job but it doesn't have to be done till October.

Rachel

P.S. Again, so much in awe of all your creations...:D

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh you definitely should Rachel! A dress like that would look stunning on you!
And for 10 euros a meter for satin, ya can't go wrong with a price like that.
I paid about that for my quilt fabric a few years ago, man oh man it adds up!:eek:

Happy Graduation, and sewing in the mean time!:D

JazzBaby

Practically Family
The only problem is I've never made a circle skirt before, so I'm not sure how many meters to buy. I need it 'loose' enough to wear over a crinoline.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Oh you definitely should Rachel! A dress like that would look stunning on you!
And for 10 euros a meter for satin, ya can't go wrong with a price like that.
I paid about that for my quilt fabric a few years ago, man oh man it adds up!:eek:

Happy Graduation, and sewing in the mean time!:D

Thanks CanadaDoll!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JazzBaby said:
The only problem is I've never made a circle skirt before, so I'm not sure how many meters to buy. I need it 'loose' enough to wear over a crinoline.

Are you going from a pattern, or by eye. General rule of thumb, lots. I got one pattern that called for FOUR YARDS! most of that was for the skirt! :eek: Geeze Louise!

I just bought some fab sheir black/ white polka dot fabric Im going to make a dress out of kinda like that. I want a TOTAL circle skirt :D

I bout 5 yards, but the bold was 60" so I totally overbought. But that is alright with me. I will have enough left over for a bordello ;)

Good luck! And POST PICS!!!:eusa_clap

LD

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Thanks for the tips ladies. I'll see if I can't get any more money off the fabric, and overbuy - the last thing I want it to start making the dress and realise that I don't have enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit