Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

HepKitty

One Too Many
wahine said:
These dresses are so wonderful, you inspire me to try to sew more, too. I wouldn't get such great results (also, it's hard to get nice fabrics where I live) but isn't it a good feeling to wear something you made yourself. You ladies do great jobs, thanks for showing the pics!
:eusa_clap

wo in Deutschland? I lived there a long time ago, before I started sewing and before the internet became everyone's mainline addiction, so I'm not sure about fabric stores, though I do remember that Hertie had a small fabric section. all I ever looked for though was needles and thread for buttons...

sorry for the double post (in FAQs) but here is a link for a lady in MT who sells retro reproduction fabric,

http://reproductionfabrics.com/

Zendy, thank you, I have one pic so far but it's me being silly so not a great shot of the dress. will bug my friend to send the others...

Lady Cecilia

New in Town
Thank you Jasmine Jolene and Hepkitty, you're making me blush !

HepKitty said:
what pattern did you use, or did you? :)

I used Vogue V8280 for the bodice of the dress - with some adjustments for a better fit. I didn't use a pattern for the skirt, it's just made of rectangular pieces of fabric with some pleats inserted under each of the darts in the bodice. The Bolero jacket is made from a very simple pattern I drafted myself.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
015.jpg

]

Wow Miss Sis …what a lovely mummy sending you the fabric and buckle, It looks super.
I must start sewing but I’m always a little scared about cutting into my fabric stash with the very little dressmaking experience and knowledge I have. I have very little patience too which is a little odd as I’m a knitter!

All look simply magnificent!

Inky

One Too Many
i love all these swirl-a-likes I am seeing, well done Zendy and Crwritt!!

Everyone is making lovely things again and here I am not sewing. Must remedy that!

Thank you for the inspiration - keep them coming!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
HepKitty said:
just finished this yesterday and wore it to a friend's party, should have pix of me in it sometime soon. the patterns was in the first stash of patterns from my mother (upper right in the photo) and the fabric is 100% cotton, $1.50/yd from walmart of all places... bought more fabric for the sleeveless version, brown with pink polka dots... I'm guessing it's a 50s patterns but I can't tell for sure. does anyone know? thanks in advance

Gorgeous dress and I LOVE the fabric - amazing work!
X
BD

HepKitty

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Gorgeous dress and I LOVE the fabric - amazing work!
X
BD

thank you :) I wish I had bought the whole bolt I love the fabric!

btw your avatar pic is lovely, and your dress is fabu!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
About half of my wardrobe contains garments I've made and the people in my circle marvel that I sew. It's such a treat to hang out with so many talented sister seamstresses and see what every body is making. I'm now in love with Swirl-ish dresses and inspired to make one of my own.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
wahine said:
These dresses are so wonderful, you inspire me to try to sew more, too. I wouldn't get such great results (also, it's hard to get nice fabrics where I live) but isn't it a good feeling to wear something you made yourself. You ladies do great jobs, thanks for showing the pics!
:eusa_clap

Hast du mal dawanda durchforstet? Ist zwar nicht die billigste, aber die entspannteste Lösung. Und mit etwas Glück findet man sogar Vintagestoffe.
Ansonsten sollte es eigentlich in jeder größeren Stadt noch Stoffgeschäfte geben.

@HepKitty: The dotted dress is really cute! (Hertie is no more, btw.)

wahine

Practically Family
HepKitty said:
wo in Deutschland? I lived there a long time ago, ...
In Goettingen, that's pretty much in the middle of it all (southern lower saxony).

Katinka von K. said:
Hast du mal dawanda durchforstet? ....
Ansonsten sollte es eigentlich in jeder größeren Stadt noch Stoffgeschäfte geben.

dawanda kannte ich noch nicht, dankeschön!
The city I live in is not so big and even in the next bigger city (Hannover) it's really hard to find fabrics that are okay for vintage clothes. Unless you stick to solids / one color only. As soon as you want patterns, it's getting tough. That's probably the reason why most the ladies at Oldies festivals go polka dotted. In some regions, that's pretty much all you can get :(

crwritt

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Crwritt, loving that black and white number, what a difference a pocket an make? Love it.
Kate

I'll be hunting through my scraps now to put pockets on my favorite dresses,
I've made most of them so it shouldn't be too hard. I wear reading glasses now
and am always taking them off and leaving them somewhere.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Katinka von K. said:

thank you :)

lol yes it's been a long time since I lived in DE hasn't it?

crwitt: lovely dresses as always!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
HepKitty said:
thank you :) I wish I had bought the whole bolt I love the fabric!

btw your avatar pic is lovely, and your dress is fabu!

I don't blame you one bit, it's great fabric! I just hit the Fabricville sale and spent WAY too much $ on fabric and patterns. *lol*

Thank you, so is yours. Love the plane!

X
BD

HepKitty

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
I don't blame you one bit, it's great fabric! I just hit the Fabricville sale and spent WAY too much $ on fabric and patterns. *lol*

Thank you, so is yours. Love the plane!

X
BD

too much money on fabric and patterns, the story of my life *sigh*

the plane is beautiful isn't it!

ok here is the dress in action

HepKitty

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Finished my 40s day dress made from a thrift store duvet cover.

HollywoodPattern1550.jpg

fronth2.jpg

Yay piping!

LD

nice work as always! out of all the vintage patterns I scored, there isn't a pattern for a 40s day dress. I have the fabric that I want to use, now need the pattern...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112