Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Kiri Give it a try

Kiri I didn't learn to sew until about 7 years ago, no thanks to my mom and grandma. When I was a kid and we had to take out home ec class I made a pillow and really liked it and we could be other pattern kids so I asked my mom to get me one. I started sewing myself a jacket. I got a bit confused on one step asked my mom and the next thing I knew she had taken it to my grandma and grandma sewed it together for me backward with the lining on the outside. I never wore that jacket and didn't try to sew again other than hem or repair until I took a community ed sewing class and learned how to read a pattern. I did try on my own with out a class and a friends mom helping me but I did find it wasn't quite enough help. the class was the best. I still struggle with directions sometimes and I usually go to my husband aunt and ask her.
My advice is to try out a class and don't wait as long as I did to do it.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Marla That dress is just too fantastic.

Lady Day both those dresses are fab. I especially love the top one with the matching hat (and your poses!).

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Marla said:
I finished this cotton dress recently--just in time for cold weather!

4994435101_2ae37dc224_z.jpg

It was my first attempt at my favorite dress pattern from 1939. I intended to make it as a "wearable muslin" because I was unsure if it would fit correctly, but in fact it fits me perfectly (not a single alteration needed, not one!), and it came together with no mishaps! Hooray!

4994432019_175a79f4f0_z.jpg

And here's the pattern, I made View 2 minus the tie belt.

4751284188_43b2a62c30.jpg

Absolutely lovely Marla! I adore your dress and the pattern. Amazing!
X
BD

swinggal

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
You all have been making some lovely things!

Ive made two dresses lately.
front2.jpg

The above one from an NRA pattern.
The below one from a war time Simplicity.

frontw2.jpg

All info on the dresses (and progress) is on ye old blog.

LD

Gorgeous LD! As always. I might have to commission you to make me a cloche!

BoPeep

Practically Family
Love the cloche, too, Lady Day! It just make the outfit!

I made a corset-style top from the evening gown pattern. Both tops are cotton with a back zip. The polka dot one is lined and has a built-in bra (per advice from this thread). The aqua top was made with scraps from the pencil skirt and a perfect excuse to use that crazy ginormous rick-rack!

IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg

8446001.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
BoPeep said:
Love the cloche, too, Lady Day! It just make the outfit!

I made a corset-style top from the evening gown pattern. Both tops are cotton with a back zip. The polka dot one is lined and has a built-in bra (per advice from this thread). The aqua top was made with scraps from the pencil skirt and a perfect excuse to use that crazy ginormous rick-rack!

They fit your like a glove! Love the Ric Rac

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I realized I kinda have a backlog I must be making more than I think :D
Please do excuse my hair in these pictures. Velcro rollers were causing me damage and I'm no good with pin curls yet. So limp flat hair, yay! :p

Anyway I'll start with least favorite. This dress is wrinkly because I don't think I'll ever wear it out the house. I should love this dress. I loved the shape of the dress, the pockets, the fabric color, the trim, the self fabric buttons, everything! But something went wrong along the way and disaster struck. The neckline was huge! the waist is weird, the front gapes open, it cuts my tattoos off in a weird way. So meh. But here it is anyway because I spent so much time on it.

New Look 6587 by christi.adell, on Flickr
View E

So yes these are pajamas, and yes I love everything about them. I had to use those pockets from the above failed New Look dress somewhere! The red trim matches the tiny red dots in the purple stripes.

McCalls 5990 by christi.adell, on Flickr

This dress is "self-drafted" basically a half circle skirt and a top pattern I printed from one of those drafting software programs and then I changed the neckline. I actually like this dress but the neckline I cut too low or something and as a result I have to wear a tank top under it or else it's Hello Girls! The fabric is a cheap $1.50/yd fabric from Wal-Mart and I love it.

Self-drafted pattern by christi.adell, on Flickr

The last one is the one I like the best! I got this pattern from MarieAnne and all the alterations I made to it worked. The front DOES NOT gape! yes! Something must finally be getting through this thick skull. This green cotton voile my husband says looks like scrubs but I'm loving it with the Heather Bailey fabric covered buttons. The only thing I'll change next time on the other views is the side darts are a bit too high.

MO9379 by christi.adell, on Flickr
View A

Sorry this post was probably ridiculously long. But I get super excited to post since I don't know anyone else who sews and my husband's usual response to everything is "Cool". :eusa_doh:

D

Deleted member 12480

Inky said:
I've taken to making the hubby a new shirt for his birthday every year. This is Kwik Sew 3484 view C

5008670086_d90cf2f055_z.jpg

It coordinates with a shirt I had custom made this year by Kim of Jitterbuggin.

everything about this picture is cool :D

maristella

New in Town
This is the first dress I've made. It's a little late for my tastes, and probably for most people on here, but it was the earliest thing I could find in my mum's old patterns (thankfully she was the same size as I am)! I think the pattern date was around 1975.

4995783977_bdb9b749d1.jpg

It was surprisingly quick and easy except for the tricky collar. But hey, it's comfy!

Lottie

Familiar Face
Christi.adell, I think the turquoise dress actually looks pretty awesome.. What a pity you don't feel comfortable in it :(

maristella, what a pretty first project! (mine was a very crooked plush turtle :D) It is pretty OT, but may I ask- where did you get these shoes?

Amie

One of the Regulars
maristella said:
This is the first dress I've made. It's a little late for my tastes, and probably for most people on here, but it was the earliest thing I could find in my mum's old patterns (thankfully she was the same size as I am)! I think the pattern date was around 1975.

4995783977_bdb9b749d1.jpg

It was surprisingly quick and easy except for the tricky collar. But hey, it's comfy!
Maristella, I love it. I think you look very chic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo