Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Isis, it's a smart looking jacket, but I know what you mean. I have the same issue with waist length garments. For me, a jacket needs to either be hip-length or end just below the bust.

crwritt

One Too Many
TheSwingingBee, that's so cute!

I have just finished a Vintage Vogue pattern, V2934, a short jacket from 1950. Really easy to sew, but not a cut that suits me. I'm a high-waisted hourglass and as you can see the jacket stops just where my hips starts, so it looks like I have no waist at all. I think it would look very good on a slender person, though. I made it in faux fur, the whole project was actually to try to sew in that material and I was pleasantly surprised- I have always thought that faux fur is a nightmare to work with.
IMG_0092-1.jpg

Forgive the dorky expression...
IMG_0093.jpg

Of course, the right accessories really makes an outfit. ;)
IMG_0094-1.jpg

You jacket came out well.I like the neckline and the back hangs very well. If you decide to make another one, you really only need it longer in the front, with the bottom edges rounded. That and possibly slightly tighter sleeves tapering to the wrist,and the sleeves just a little shorter.
It looks cozy and fun!
I make a lot of mascot costumes from faux fur, so I know its a fuzzy business.We use lots of duct tape for clean up. I have so many bolts of fur left from projects, but I never think to make myself anything to wear from them!

Isis

One of the Regulars
Thank you all!

Lauren, yes he was trying to trip me up so it was easiest ti pick him up. :)

Kamikat, yes, having the line at waist levelisn't the smartest for me...

crwritt That's a very good idea! I like the neckline too and a longer version would probably not make me look quite so tublike... :) We have five cats so duct tape and sticky rolls are a staple at our house too. :)

NanaJen

New in Town
Hi, hope you don't mind a new one joining in :)

The skirt is a pattern from my 'Sew and Save' book, and the cardi is from the 'Stitch n Bitch' book... it went a bit wonky so I added rows of crochet and claimed it was both art deco inspired and intentional lol

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Hi, hope you don't mind a new one joining in :)

The skirt is a pattern from my 'Sew and Save' book, and the cardi is from the 'Stitch n Bitch' book... it went a bit wonky so I added rows of crochet and claimed it was both art deco inspired and intentional lol

Welcome NanaJen, the more the merrier!

I love the cardi!

NanaJen

New in Town
Thank you! I love my cardi more for its wonkiness :)

NanaJen - Congrats on having the gumption to finish a sweater after it went wonky on you! I have that book. Which pattern did you use?

It's the Go-Everywhere-Wear-With-Everything cardi (or something of that nature...) and looks totally different to the one in the book- I only gave it one button, and obviously the wonk lol But I think the best thing about a simple design like that is being able to tweak it around.

Hell's Belle

New in Town
I made another Simplicity 2005 blouse, this time in flannel.
5488934457_ed306c1849.jpg

I love the things you've made. I have a very hard time finding vintage/vintage inspired in my size (modern 16) and have recently taken up sewing to try and remedy that. Your stuff totally inspires me! And you look absolutely adorable!

Hell's Belle

New in Town
elvissleeppants.jpg

Sorry for the crummy picture quality, but I'm dying to share what I have made as well. Let me say that I am a beginning sewist and this was my very first project. They are pajama bottoms made from an "Elvis in the 50s" cotton print.

As I gain more skills, confidence and experience, I hope to post something I've made that can even come CLOSE to the lovely things I have seen in this thread!

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
@Helle's Belle: Nice fabric! Did you teach yourself how to make clothes or is someone helping you? I have looked for ads like sewing classes but I live in a crappy small village so no luck. That's why I'm asking because you are just starting maybe I can teach it on my own?

Hell's Belle

New in Town
@Helle's Belle: Nice fabric! Did you teach yourself how to make clothes or is someone helping you? I have looked for ads like sewing classes but I live in a crappy small village so no luck. That's why I'm asking because you are just starting maybe I can teach it on my own?

Thanks Romy! I am taking a class thru my local school district's continuing education, but it has not been very fruitful. After 6 weeks, while everyone else in my class is still working on their first project of some God-awful scrubs, I have made 2 pair of PJ pants, nearly finished a circle skirt completely on my own and began deconstructing a vintage shirtdress that I thrifted.(It's a Petite so the waist is too high, the bust is too small and the sleeves are too short. I figure if I gain nothing more than this dress being turned into a wearable garment, I got my 90 bucks out of it.)

So I guess my answer is I think you can learn either way. I probably would have gotten much more from this class if I had a different instructor with a different approach, focusing more on technique than cranking out some crappy clothing item that these ladies will probably never wear. I supplement my classes with self-education. I am reading the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing right now and plan to read my Simplicity's Book of Sewing next and I have learned so much. Granted, I have not applied any of what I have learned yet, but I feel I have a better understanding of what I am to do and why, as opposed to just winging it.

Another great source of info is sewing blogs. I follow several of them, and although most of the posts and techniques surpass my experience level and understanding, the immersion works wonders. I do pick up great little tips for beginning sewists there. Like, remove the thread from your machine and "sew" the lines on a piece of notebook paper to help with keeping your sewing straight. I also recently read where a girl said that in fashion school, they had to draw designs on paper and then "sew" them as well, to help get used to following the lines and to gain better control of their sewing. This all may be TMI, but I think they are great tips and wanted to share them with you.

As we are both beginners, if you wanted to learn together and share info, I'd be happy to. Just PM me.

Last edited:

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
Thank you that was very helpful!
I would love to do this together, we definitely can inspire each other :D
I've heard a similar story about the paper patterns, so I think it's a must-learn basic.

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
TheSwingingBee, that's so cute!

I have just finished a Vintage Vogue pattern, V2934, a short jacket from 1950. Really easy to sew, but not a cut that suits me. I'm a high-waisted hourglass and as you can see the jacket stops just where my hips starts, so it looks like I have no waist at all. I think it would look very good on a slender person, though. I made it in faux fur, the whole project was actually to try to sew in that material and I was pleasantly surprised- I have always thought that faux fur is a nightmare to work with.
IMG_0092-1.jpg

Forgive the dorky expression...
IMG_0093.jpg

Of course, the right accessories really makes an outfit. ;)
IMG_0094-1.jpg

Really great job! The jacket is awesome from the back. Being a full-figured girl myself, I would wear this with a few modifications. For myself, the sleeves would be a little smaller, the coat just slightly shorter. I would wear a dress with a high waist and a dress with a flared skirt (50s style!). A high waist actually give the appearance of a waist. I never would have believed this until I saw it on a fashion show. Now I will wear a wide belt just under the breasts, something I would have never done in the past!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR