Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
You ladies always make such lovely things! I made this cherry necklace and bracelet.
X
BD

margaretnurse019sm.jpg

Cute jewellery, but I must say, your brows are perfection!

wahine

Practically Family
A question to all you creative gals:

Does anyone have experience with sewing straps to shoes? I have a pair of high heels without straps that look so lovely, but I can't wear them because I always slip out. They are the correct size, it's because of the shape of my heels. I'm tempted to try to sew on straps myself. But I'm not sure if I might ruin the shoes. Any ideas?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
wahine, although I've made shoes, I've never sewn on a strap in that way, but I think you'd be ok as long as you use leather needles and nylon (sometimes referred to as button) thread. That should ensure that you don't have to put in a huge amount of holes and bulky stitching to secure the straps. If you can't wear them anyway because of the looseness, you really don't have much to lose so I'd be tempted to give it a go.
Best of luck!

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks for your advice, W-D Forties. You're right about not having much to lose. I only want to give the most promising method a try because I really really want to wear these shoes.
I just put 2 pairs of leather heel stoppers inside, now there are are 3 pairs of heel stoppers plus a gel anti-slip sticker altogether. I also put some more cosmetic cotton in the front of the shoes. It's a little better now, since the shoes are about a size smaller now (ouch). Still, I slip out once in a while. So, this is no solution.
I will try to find leather straps or leather I can use for straps, although I don't really know where to buy. Don't you think a strong rubber band would do the job as well?

crwritt

One Too Many
A question to all you creative gals:

Does anyone have experience with sewing straps to shoes? I have a pair of high heels without straps that look so lovely, but I can't wear them because I always slip out. They are the correct size, it's because of the shape of my heels. I'm tempted to try to sew on straps myself. But I'm not sure if I might ruin the shoes. Any ideas?

Can you first try just slipping a band of elastic around the instep? Like this?http://www.deelsonheels.com/Shoe_Straps_for_Loose_Shoes/p133745_317683.aspx Or this, which can make a mule into a more stable shoe http://www.heelstraps.com/

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Kamikat, have you tried horsehair braid along the scalloped edge? It might make the scallops more defined and visible.
The scallops are ok IRL. It's the waist that needs more definition. I think I'm going to open the side seams and add a waist tie.
BTW, welcome to Fedora and I love your blog! I found it through all the lovely Queen Mary posts floating around the internet.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thank you kymeratale and kamikat!

Wahine, the bracelet does match, same beads...but I see what you mean! Making the cherries dangle off the bracelet as on the necklace. Will do that with the next batch! ;0

Thank you Grant Fan! Someone said the same thing to me years ago, but I'd never seen the show. So I looked the character up. Ten years ago, when I was 'goth' I definitely even dressed sort of like that and dyed my hair black! *lol*

X
BD

wahine

Practically Family
Can you first try just slipping a band of elastic around the instep? Like this?http://www.deelsonheels.com/Shoe_Straps_for_Loose_Shoes/p133745_317683.aspx Or this, which can make a mule into a more stable shoe http://www.heelstraps.com/

I never saw these, thanks for showing me. It seems a very good idea to use "invisible" material in order not to change the look of the shoes. I'm afraid though that it might not work for my shoes since they are partly (fake) suede and the plastic/rubber band might show too much (these straps probably aren't sold in Germany anyway). But I will try it out with see-thru bra holders which seem to be made of a similar material. If they don't show too much, maybe I can do some tinkering.

Wahine, the bracelet does match, same beads...but I see what you mean! Making the cherries dangle off the bracelet as on the necklace. Will do that with the next batch! ;0
Oops, I didn't even see the bracelet, I only looked at the photo reposted by kymeratale. Sorry, I didn't mean to be picky or anything, I just didn't see you already made a very pretty matching bracelet *blush*

Drappa

One Too Many
I never saw these, thanks for showing me. It seems a very good idea to use "invisible" material in order not to change the look of the shoes. I'm afraid though that it might not work for my shoes since they are partly (fake) suede and the plastic/rubber band might show too much (these straps probably aren't sold in Germany anyway). But I will try it out with see-thru bra holders which seem to be made of a similar material. If they don't show too much, maybe I can do some tinkering.

What about these? The name is silly, but you could maybe just use ribbon?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Those 'Heel Condoms' (terrible name!) are so weird that I actually kind of like them! They look like something that would have failed to get funding from 'Dragons Den'.

wahine

Practically Family
the name really is silly, but the idea isn't. I have already tried this the other day with shoe laces. It worked, didn't look good though. Trying it with a pretty ribbon and winding around the heel a bit in order to make it look "on purpose" is worth a try.

btw, these are the delinquents:

(I took the pic before I attached the half dozen of heel stoppers inside)
The heels look ridiculously short in the pic but they really aren't, they're moderate 2 7/8 "

Drappa

One Too Many
I like the "heel condoms" as well - shame I can't wear heels at the moment. Wahine, I can totally see a pretty ribbon on those shoes (nice shoes, btw.)!

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks, I will get a ribbon to try it with asap - I got ribbons in about a dozen colors in my sewing box, but no black.
I'm still not sure if it won't look awkward when the ribbon is wound around the whole shoe, but I have to give it a try. I'll let you know when I get any results. :wave:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab

Oops, I didn't even see the bracelet, I only looked at the photo reposted by kymeratale. Sorry, I didn't mean to be picky or anything, I just didn't see you already made a very pretty matching bracelet *blush*

No worries, your idea inspired me! ;0 And I think your shoes are really cute.
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points