Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Since losing the house and moving into a rental- I had my sewing machine and my serger both go missing. Sigh.I was in the house when lots of things were packed by well meaning and helpful friends, and was not at the rental when many things were moved in. After a solid year of looking for the machines they finally turned up. Hallelujah!! Wow, had I dearly missed not being able to sew. However the foot pedal and cord for the sewing machine were not with it. To replace them- $126.00, OUCH!!. So I ended up borrowing my sister's basic machine for these last couple of weeks.

This is vintage style here, but just from a much more earlier time!! We were going to two dance events on Halloween weekend, one historic themed so I made myself a bustled 1870s ball gown (actually, the ball gown really is an ensemble, as it has many separate pieces) for myself and a Regency fancy dress for my now 17yo dd. I'd always wanted to create a Victorian ball gown but never did- untill now!

I had all the yard goods and laces etc already in my fabric stash, excepting the orchid netting overlay on my dd's dress. It took two very long days to make my daughter's dress, and over a week and a half of making mine. I stayed up late and got up early every day for the last two weeks, one day I only got 1-1/2 hours of sleep.

I'm still working on trimming out the chemise, when finished I will post a pic of the three undergarment pieces.

For mine: outer fabrics- light peach embroidered silk, horizontal striped peach and antique white silk dupioni andwhite English netting lace. Underlining and lining fabrics-white cotton
Ball Gown Ensemble pieces; boned bodice, underskirt, bustled overskirt, bustle pad, petticoat, chemise and drawers

Daughter's dress: antique gold coloured silk dupioni dress with orchid coloured netting embroidered in orchid, gold and silver, with applied jewels overlay. Underlining, bodice lining and attached heavy petticoat fabrics- white cotton.

All of the silk fabrics excepting the bustled overskirt had to be underlined before construction.

IMG_7292.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

IMG_7296.jpg

Me and the Mr., his outfit is from Gentlemen's Emporium online. Yes, I put my cameo earrings as trim on the shoulder bows!
IMG_7285.jpg

this one edited to make it look like an antique picture! We look like the real deal together, don't we:)
IMG_7297.jpg

oops, my son forgot his neckerchief on Saturday. His Regency jacket borrowed from a theater costumer friend.
IMG_7291-1.jpg

oh there it is!
IMG_7287-1.jpg

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Victorian underpinnings: made by me and worn under my 1870s ball gown
split drawers made of heavily bordered eyelet with light pink picot edged ribbons through the beading
IMG_7315.jpg

chemise trimmed with picot ribbons woven through beading, lace and swiss embroidery with entredeux with two strands of lt. pink embroidery floss woven through the holes
IMG_7314.jpg

detail of heavy eyelet borders on chemise and drawers
IMG_7310.jpg

rose print underbust corset from Gentlemen's Emporium
IMG_7313.jpg

bustle pad worn over corset
IMG_7308.jpg

petticoat trimmed with eyelet, made of ball gown underskirt pattern
IMG_7311.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks LilyP! All patterns except for the underskirt were from Truly Victorian. The skirt pattern was from Past Patterns.

She and her younger brother know how to sew. She doesn't show interest in sewing clothes for herself much, as yet. She likes the idea of designing and drawing up a Christmas Gown that she's like me to make for her in time for the Gaskell's Christmas Ball on 12/17.

Genuinely impressive, Carey! Did you make your own pattern too? And does your daughter long to take up mastering the skill of sewing also?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Thanks LilyP! All patterns except for the underskirt were from Truly Victorian. The skirt pattern was from Past Patterns.

She and her younger brother know how to sew. She doesn't show interest in sewing clothes for herself much, as yet. She likes the idea of designing and drawing up a Christmas Gown that she's like me to make for her in time for the Gaskell's Christmas Ball on 12/17.

I think we may have some contenders here for "Project Runway, The Family Challenge!" :D

My mom used to sew for me and I loved our jaunts through the fabric store, looking at patterns and choosing fabrics. My boyfriend bought me a sewing machine (step 1) and now I need to learn to use it properly (step 2).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Lily P. , I should have you come over and we'll play in my fabric stash! I can teach you how to use your machine...An excellent gift from the bf. Never regretted spending money on a good quality sewing machine(s) over the years- mine is my workhorse!

My Mr. wants to at some point get a sewing machine and learn to sew so he can make clothes for himself. Told him I'd teach him how.

I think we may have some contenders here for "Project Runway, The Family Challenge!" :D

My boyfriend bought me a sewing machine (step 1) and now I need to learn to use it properly (step 2).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A previous project but recently worn. The skirt and bodice are 1883 reproduction patterns from Past Patterns. I made these for a church theatre production for the lead actress, then I took in the bodice and skirt this year to fit me. The same skirt pattern was adapted for use for my new bustled ball gown ensemble, made this month.

The two different green fabrics are upholstery weight. The bodice is unlined and unboned. The skirt has a built in heavy cotton plain petticoat. Working with the heavier fabrics was difficult, I was pin pricked to the bone! The bodice was closed with velcro for an easy in and out of it during the play. Can't imagine having to make all those buttonholes! The trim is vintage of unknown date, found on evilbay.

I'm wearing it here with my new (and first) underbust corset here. This skirt is to be worn without a bustle. I wore this in early Oct. 2011 to the Coloma Gold Rush Days (pic taken afterwards, same day) and then to a 'costumes optional' dinner and dancing event mid October. When the Mr. and I were having our pictures taken together at the dance, I was looking at the camera, but he kept looking (in profile) only at me, saying "Wow."

Pardon the squint, the sun was in my eyes to get the shot with the nice rosemary and wisteria plantings behind me.
IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

Last edited:

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Here's Advance 6955. First dress I've made for someone else. :) It's a good feeling.

renaes_dress.jpg
advance2.jpg

P.S. Thanks Lauren and LD for the fabric advice...I think it turned out okay afterall. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't often post my stuff, because all my dresses pretty much look the same -- but I like this one a lot. Hollywood pattern 1244, $2-a-yard calico from Wal Mart which has held up fairly well in the washing.

eat.jpg

Popcorn sold separately.

Lizzie, you remind me of Jane Russell. It was especially evident on the History Detectives interview.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ