Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DSCN1009.jpg

MJrules,

This looks fantastic! Your line is great. Man I wish I could make my skirts fit so well!

The skirt is hugging you in all the right places, well done!

LD

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Holy cow, thanks Lady Day! I'm sure the other girls will agree that coming from you, it means a lot! I was pretty surprised it fit so well without any major alterations (just shortening and tweaking darts). And Kamikat, the welts were so easy! Just sewing up rectangles and matching dots...if I can, anyone can!

Snookie

Practically Family
MJrules said:
I was pretty surprised it fit so well without any major alterations (just shortening and tweaking darts).

Really Nice, MJrules. Sometimes the hardest part is being WILLING to go back and tweak those darts, once you've already sewn them. Very nice job.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this qualifies as something I've made, but take a look anyway. This dress is from Simplicity 1577. Somehow, it turned out to be THE most unflattering thing I've made in a long time. While the fitting problems could probably be tweaked, the main problem is the collar. It's what drew me to this pattern, but turns out to do nothing for me. Maybe it would work for someone less endowed that I am?
2296871078_1886c36d68.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I don't know if this qualifies as something I've made, but take a look anyway. This dress is from Simplicity 1577. Somehow, it turned out to be THE most unflattering thing I've made in a long time. While the fitting problems could probably be tweaked, the main problem is the collar. It's what drew me to this pattern, but turns out to do nothing for me. Maybe it would work for someone less endowed that I am?
2296871078_1886c36d68.jpg

It looks nice on the form! If you really hate the collar, is it too late to change it? Even if you just remove it and add binding or something instead? I think the collar looks really nice, but I understand where you're coming from. What exactly do you dislike?

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Hey Kamikat, that dress looks so pretty, it's what I dream of finding at a thrift store in pristine condition for 99 cents. I can't wait to start sleeves, collars, and pockets!
Like Snookie asked, what exactly don't you like about the collar? If you think it looks too small then maybe you could enlarge it? A big tip that I see in a lot of style books is to match proportions (i.e. small, floral print for petite woman v. larger, bold print for plus-size woman). Or what about making the collar a solid color...or flipping it around, to make it into a rolled/stand-away collar? Just throwing things out of my head...hope something works! Here's some well wishes I'm sending your way :) :) :) :) :) :)

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
Really Nice, MJrules. Sometimes the hardest part is being WILLING to go back and tweak those darts, once you've already sewn them. Very nice job.

!!!...Welllll...uhmmmmm...ok ok ok I haven't actually gone back and redone them yet! Now I'm ashamed...:eek: I guess I was just being a little optimistic there. Hahah, but I'll do it I promise! It's just so minor and (assumably) easy that I feel like I've done it already(???) and am already proud of myself(?!?!?!). Slinking away now

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
It looks nice on the form! If you really hate the collar, is it too late to change it? Even if you just remove it and add binding or something instead? I think the collar looks really nice, but I understand where you're coming from. What exactly do you dislike?

I think the problem is that it's a high, wide neckline. I typically go for either a v-neck or a button-down look. I wear a 36G bra and have to be very careful with necklines. I think also the kimono sleeves make my shoulders look really broad.
I'd be happy to pass it along to someone who wants to finish it. It fits a 42bust, 33waist, 42hips, without girdle. All it needs is the side zipper, sleeve hems and bottom hem, free to good home.

Josephine

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I wear a 36G bra and have to be very careful with necklines.

Me too! (34G) I love the look of most 50's dresses except the high square necklines. Does nothing but make my top look like a big lump instead of the curves it really has! lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
Me too! (34G) I love the look of most 50's dresses except the high square necklines. Does nothing but make my top look like a big lump instead of the curves it really has! lol

Oh, yay! Someone who understands! ;) In fact, last night, my new "last hope" bra arrived from England. It was so expensive and well-reviewed, but did nothing to lift. I was crying and researching reduction surgery. I'd get it if I wasn't afraid of the surgery.

Josephine

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Oh, yay! Someone who understands! ;) In fact, last night, my new "last hope" bra arrived from England. It was so expensive and well-reviewed, but did nothing to lift. I was crying and researching reduction surgery. I'd get it if I wasn't afraid of the surgery.

What bra brands have you tried? I was wearing Fantasie for awhile, but now I like Panache. I've come to the conclusion that my bust will be never be "perky" and sit at my collar bones. lol I don't want a reduction, I just want a breast lift. I am 5'10" though, so the size looks semi proportionate on me.

If I were a better seamstress I'd alter the necklines of the big skirted, square neck dresses.

leaette

A-List Customer
i have a friend from my last job and she needed a reduction too. she was really scared but just finally agreed to doing it. after she healed up....she kept saying "i don't know why i waited so long to do that".

i had surgery in november for a private matter. something that has been bothering me for YEARS. and i am so glad i got it done. again...
i've been saying "i don't know why i waited so long to do that".

i actually enjoyed the whole surgery experience. the nurses baby you. your hubby and family baby you when you get home. and i loved the anesthesia. It was like a mini-vacation where i didn't have to worry about anything. i can totally see how people get addicted to pain meds.

Josephine

One Too Many
leaette said:
i have a friend from my last job and she needed a reduction too. she was really scared but just finally agreed to doing it. after she healed up....she kept saying "i don't know why i waited so long to do that".

The cost is what's making me wait. :) I don't have $10,000. And I don't have backaches from the size so I don't think medical will cover it.

Ah well, I'll just keep wearing girdles that compress and uplift! lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
The cost is what's making me wait. :) I don't have $10,000. And I don't have backaches from the size so I don't think medical will cover it.

Ah well, I'll just keep wearing girdles that compress and uplift! lol

I'm told that you can sometime get insurance to cover reductions if you find the right doctor who knows just what to say.
I've also been going round and round with my doctor on surgery for "female problems". I almost had it done last month and backed out.
My new "last hope" bra was the Panache Tango II. The reviews on figleaves.com gave me the impression that it would provide lift and perkiness. I guess not for me. It fits ok, but the hook is on the last set. If I buy another one, I'd go down to a 34 band. The best bra I've tried so far was to buy a 42DDD from Fredrick's of Hollywood, then remove the band from the cups, cut down the band, then restitch to the cups. It definetly gave me lift and cleavage. However, cutting it down like that makes bras even more delicate, so I don't wear those every day. BTW, if you're interested, I found an eBay seller from England that sells Panache for between $25-35 each, many with buy-it-now pricing. Even with shipping from UK, it was cheaper than I've seen from USA retailers and it got to me in just under a week. If you want the link, I'll send it to you in a DM.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I think the problem is that it's a high, wide neckline. I typically go for either a v-neck or a button-down look. I wear a 36G bra and have to be very careful with necklines. I think also the kimono sleeves make my shoulders look really broad.
I'd be happy to pass it along to someone who wants to finish it. It fits a 42bust, 33waist, 42hips, without girdle. All it needs is the side zipper, sleeve hems and bottom hem, free to good home.

Is it gone yet? I love the style!

Samantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy