Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
This Poiret-inspired dress was made for an event I went to at the Cicada Club in LA. No pattern was used (only the magic of draping and hoping for the best) It's all silk; the lining/slip was from a large shirt and the exterior was from a trashed 60s dress that a friend gave to me. The swirls are hand-stitched and the back features a tassel that has a light perfume smell. (it'sOpium, I thought it would go well with the Asiatic flair.

Click for larger view

Absolutely lovely ♥

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
What are you afraid of? There are a few techniques to be aware of when working
with faux fur, but other than that, its just fabric.
When I work with it, I always mark my pattern pieces on the back, and when cutting
cut only through the backing layer. Pay attention to the nap of the fur. When stitching, "pet" the fur fibers away from
the seam, towards the body of the fabric. Ignore any instructions that tell you to
trim the fur out of the seam allowances. I like to use a narrow zigzag stitch. Comb out the seams with a large needle,
and brush out with a stiff hairbrush. Avoid topstitching. Do not iron.
I wouldn't worry about your creation somehow reanimating, unless you come up wth something like this.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm glad to know this. :eusa_clap

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
Thankyou. :) I worked hard on the dress and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

I don't really have any upcoming fur projects at the moment but I'll definitely go to you if I do.

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
I make hats. This is fur felt I hand-blocked, I made the flowers, with vintage silk velvet ribbon.

5365969666_bff25c8eb4_m.jpg

Very nice. Do you have a Web site?

BoPeep

Practically Family
I made this unlined wool jacket for spring. Started out as a '49er, but then I decided to tailor it in a bit because the wool just didn't have enough drape. Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in boxy, straight cut styles. The back has an inverted box pleat and faux belt.

IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
I made this unlined wool jacket for spring. Started out as a '49er, but then I decided to tailor it in a bit because the wool just didn't have enough drape. Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in boxy, straight cut styles. The back has an inverted box pleat and faux belt.

IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg

This looks like something you'll wear forever! The bias cut belt and pockets really make it.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars

IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg

I love this, the color looks great on you and it looks like a jacket that will go great with a lot of outfits!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
BoPeep, that jacket is fantastic! I've been thinking about a jacket like that for the last week. I need something like that to transition into Spring.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer

IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg

Sweet ♥

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
It's been a while since I've been on here (almost a year), so here's a few photos of things I've made during that time: Click to enlarge

40s style house dress from a self-made pattern.

40s style dirndl with corseting. This was a challenge to put the metal boning in, but it takes my waist in about 2"

From a 30s pattern.

A 20s style hat with rosettes on each side.
The other side has leaves with sheet music from Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Minor. (I recently removed the leaves because I thought they were a little tacky with the hat.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran