Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
DeadPan I like your dresses too and green is a fav of mine as well.
I also love purple but green is one that doesn't make my skin look sickly or yellow.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Deadpandiva, I love those dresses. I am also a lover a green, in any shade! The sheath with matching cape is especially cute and flattering on you.

Sunny

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
Real Swell Gal that dress is lovely and my favorite color. I have to learn to do button holes nexted.

Here is some stuff I made. For give the crappy pics.
Picture1017.jpg
Picture1016.jpg

The jeans style zipper almost killed my machine. I didn't quite understand the directions but I wanted to challange myself. I need to do the stiching at the top of the pleats still. This skirt was harder than I thought it'd be. I don't think I'll make it again....

*gasp* Those are so adorable! You've been sewing up a storm! The skirt looks really cute, too. I've been on a skirt kick lately anyway - I like that one!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Simplicity2955.jpg

Here is the dress I made for the tea this weekend :( I guess Ill have to make something else for June.

front-6.jpg
placket.jpg

I feel this is my most 'vintage' creation because of all the treatments I did to it. I ran out of zippers, so I had to make a placket for it and used snap closures for it. There is some light pleating on the boddice, Im going to use piping on the next one I do with it.

Also the hem for me was a wopping 5 inches! I was going to weight the skirt because the cotton was so light, but the weight of the extra hem was enough!

hem.jpg

I did shorten the sleeves as even the short sleeve option was past the elbow. There is a vent in the back of the boddice, a pleat in the front and back of the skirt and I made shoulderpads for it!

shoulderpad.jpg

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here's a question for all you 40's ladies. Do you use quilting calico for your skirts and dresses? I bought 2 pieces of 3yrds for a modern pattern that, after making one, I won't be making. My New Look dresses all that 4-6yrds of fabric. The 40's patterns that I have all look like they need rayon or someother drapey fabric. Do these styles work in stiffer cottons?

Sunny

One Too Many
Kamikat, are you talking early 1940s or later 1940s? It may not make a difference, but I thought I'd ask.

I have an original shirtdress in a crisp non-sheer cotton, and it's just amazing. In my opinion, anything that can be called a shirtdress can be done in a non-drapey material. The same goes for house dresses; those were just about always in crisp cottons and not rayons. The 1930s were a lot drapier in general; in the 1940s it was nicer dresses that needed slick fabric.

Short answer: It just depends on the style. There are loads of 1940s patterns that don't need drapey fabrics.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:
Here's a question for all you 40's ladies. Do you use quilting calico for your skirts and dresses? I bought 2 pieces of 3yrds for a modern pattern that, after making one, I won't be making. My New Look dresses all that 4-6yrds of fabric. The 40's patterns that I have all look like they need rayon or someother drapey fabric. Do these styles work in stiffer cottons?

'Quilting cotton' isnt that different from other clothing cotton, other than the pattern. Here are some dresses (the Hollywood pattern on the right) I made all with 'quilting calico'.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
LD, love the dress! I know most people are fans of the McCall's patterns of that era, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Simplicity patterns. Isn't it amazing how long the "short" sleeves were? Wish I could see it on you! (Maybe the Griffith Park picnic?)

Kamikat, it's really depends on the effect you want for your garment. I agree with Sunny in general that a stiffer cotton is most appropriate for a shirtwaist or housedress - something for the daytime, easily cleanable. A 40's suit would also use a stiffer fabric, but not cotton (but I'm sure you know that). An evening dress like this would be good in a stiffer fabric, but again, not cotton. For a dress like this or this I'd only use a drapey fabric, because of the tucks in the first style and the peplum in the second. IMO, this style would look nicer in a softer fabric, but I think it could work in a cotton.

I haven't used quilting cottons more than a couple times, b/c I really don't like the heaviness (but that's just my preference, I not saying it's "right"). What I have noticed though, is that "quilting" cottons are often even thicker than other cottons...anyone else concur? Lotus, what's your take - I know you're a sucker for those great prints! ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I finished this dress yesterday. I used Simplicity 3673, with the neckline and sleeves from an OOP Burda pattern. Sorry about the quality, I had to lighten it up alot to see anything.
2441316805_2d0f80c193.jpg

2442138428_4dde4c2a3e.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Very nice Kamikat! I especially like the fullness in the skirt. I would have been fooled into thinking it was vintage -- the sleeve caps look a little slim for a vintage dress, but I decided that only after a lot of scrutiny (and probably only because you mentioned it ;) ). Out of curiousity, what kind of fabric is that? If it's a cotton, it's still got a nice drape.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I like to use cottons for day dresses, and blouses but have made some skirts too. Snookie is right, I am a sucker for some of those reproduction prints! :D

Generally though, if it is something I am going to be wearing to dance in, I will choose a more drapey material. That being said, I also believe that it depends on the pattern, and whether the clothing is intended for day or night wear.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Very nice Kamikat! I especially like the fullness in the skirt. I would have been fooled into thinking it was vintage -- the sleeve caps look a little slim for a vintage dress, but I decided that only after a lot of scrutiny (and probably only because you mentioned it ;) ). Out of curiousity, what kind of fabric is that? If it's a cotton, it's still got a nice drape.

The skirt and bodice are from a vintage reprint. This sleeve cap is comparable to vintage patterns in my collection. Remember, 50's patterns don't have a full sleeve like the 40's dresses usually do. Yes, it's a quilting cotton. 50's dresses do very well in quilting cottons.

Snookie

Practically Family
Yeah, I figured you were going for a 50's look, since that's your typical style...I still thought it looked a little snug, but on second thought I think what I'm seeing is the shoulder, not the sleeve. It looks a little perky, not as droopy/slanted as the typical 50's shoulder. I'm sure that's a factor of using a jumper pattern, which would cut in higher on the shoulder than a blouse or jacket pattern. If the shoulder were a little longer, the sleeve would settle. Like I said though, it's a great dress, the fit is immaculate!

If the quilting cotton you're looking to use up is the same weight as that fabric, I think you're good to go with a 40's pattern. Most of the ones I've seen are heavier/stiffer, but yours is rather nice.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks ladies :)

I love the pattern too, Snookie its got so many details in the bodice, that I plan on making a blouse out of it. There is a yolk in the back that I didnt show!

And you are so right about the sleeve length. Even with the modification, it was still a bit too long when I added the cuff, so next time, Im going to shorten both by about one inch and put a button on the cuff for a better fit.

LD

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Lady Day & KamiKat - wonderful dresses. Your work is admirable. If you don't mine me asking both of you, what is the normal length of time you spend on a garment? & How long have you both been at this?
I used to sew quite a bit and am just now getting back into it, thanx to this thread.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
From cut out to complete finish (hemmed and all) about 9-11 hours depending on the detail of the dress. This one took about 11ish because it was my first time making it.

My normal dress turn around is 6-8 hrs. I dont like working on a dress for a long time. I dig the quick turn around so I tend to work with simple patterns.

Ive been sewing for about 4 years for myself, but my mom was a professional seamstress, so I picked up quite a bit from just watching her.

90% of what I make is from graded vintage patterns.

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
scarlett said:
Lady Day & KamiKat - wonderful dresses. Your work is admirable. If you don't mine me asking both of you, what is the normal length of time you spend on a garment? & How long have you both been at this?
I used to sew quite a bit and am just now getting back into it, thanx to this thread.

It depends on whether I've made the pattern before or it's a tried and true pattern. The dress I just posted took me maybe 4hrs. But, except for the neckline change, I've made that pattern 5 times. I don't even need to look at the directions any more. If it's a new pattern, I'd say 6-10hrs. I've been sewing for 16-17 years and at one time, was a professional.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
LadyDay- I love everthing about that dress. It's beautiful.
Kamikat-I love the pocketes on that dress, The skirt and the pattern. I have a thing for pockets.
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Sewing is starting to become an addiction and I really need to take some classes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points