Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

altamari22

New in Town
Dress

I just started working on my impression.
Please let me know what you think.

bwweb.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm beginning to think that even though I love the look of a midriff band, I think it's not the best look for me. I love the color and the fabric, but I think it makes me look a little thick through the waist.
2605216503_833002db42.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Kami,

I think the dress looks great! What might be giving you problems is the placement of the belt. With that style of dress, I would try either no belt at all, or belting it under the chest, instead of on top of your hips. I have a very short torso, so I constantly experiment with belt placement.

LOVE your hair, by the way.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
mrswheats said:
Kami,

I think the dress looks great! What might be giving you problems is the placement of the belt. With that style of dress, I would try either no belt at all, or belting it under the chest, instead of on top of your hips. I have a very short torso, so I constantly experiment with belt placement.

LOVE your hair, by the way.

hmmm, you could be right. I wore it earlier before I finished the belt and I didn't feel so frumpy. To me, the skinny belt really gives it that vintage feel, but it may work better without the belt.

ShortClara

One Too Many
kamikat said:
hmmm, you could be right. I wore it earlier before I finished the belt and I didn't feel so frumpy. To me, the skinny belt really gives it that vintage feel, but it may work better without the belt.

I think you look great, but I made a dress once with a contrasting black band under the waist and holy cow - it took (virtual) inches off! You could try that too with those patterns. I leave belts off certain dresses, too - they just look better without.

pixie

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
I'm beginning to think that even though I love the look of a midriff band, I think it's not the best look for me. I love the color and the fabric, but I think it makes me look a little thick through the waist.
2605216503_833002db42.jpg

I agree about the belt, but not the placement. I think that you would need a much wider belt to balance the size of the band. I love the look and color of the dress as well...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
why, yes, they are matching lavender shoes. I bought them to go with my Easter dress, but now I'm looking for any excuse to wear them. Whenever I go to the fabric store, I try to find lavender fabric before any other color.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I'm not sure whether to go with a black one trimmed in cherry red or a cherry red one trimmed in black. Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

Oooh do RED! That's what a bad girl would do! Then go smoke behind the bleachers in it.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Josephine said:
But I don't smoke! How about drink? lol Maybe I should make one of each. I found some 108" wide black tulle on eBay! :eek:

Bad girls drink, too ;)

One of each is also good!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Finally! I made up one of those antique patterns I got!

McCall3828.jpg
front-18.jpg

The McCall. Now, this is just a tester one, and apparently I was thrown off by the super elongated drawings of the ladies because this hits at the widest part of the hips, Im going to lengthen the next one.

detailagain.jpg

Here is a detail of the gathers. The sleeves were simple, and apparently I was also thrown off by their 5 foot long arms as well because this short sleeve hits at my elbow! SO I gots to alter that as well.

I used a stiff cotton for this, and it demands a more flowing fabric. I have some rayon that Im gonna use on the for real one. This was painfully easy to whip up (4 hrs from cut to start of buttons). There was no placement marks on the pattern for buttons, but the picture says ten, and man, that is so what it needed. I added an inside band around the bottom for reinforcement and it works quite nicely.

beneathband.jpg

The bust fits swell, as that was my largest worry, but the looseness of 20s garb give more than ample room without looking like a tent. :)

LD

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Is there a thread (maybe the sewing one) on sharing patterns? That would be fun if people could share their vintage patterns and then others could print them and also make the items.

ShortClara

One Too Many
It's super cute, LD! And I am shocked to hear that all women in the 20s were not actually made like tall lean aliens! Vintage people - they're just like us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy