Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Here's my first slim style dress.
2778629505_8a297a3932.jpg
:eek: That is so hot on you Kamikat!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day and miss elise, I adore your hats! I have a million hat patterns and just won an amazing one. I need to start making some hats for the winter.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SweetieStarr said:
Those hats are fab!! Any chance of having you post a tutorial or a reference to your instructions?

They are fairly simple: I measured the circumference of my big old head, and made a band 2 1/2" tall (adding 3/5" for seam allowance) and made a circle for the top. Vola! Instant hat. :)

LD

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Miss 1929, that is lovely! I wish I could wear 20s and 30s as well as you. I age about 15 years when I try! I love the colors you chose.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
VERY nice Miss 1929! Gee, sure would be swell if we could be 30s suit twins....:rolleyes:

tee hee

LD

Do I bring the pattern to the Queen Mary this weekend and hand it over? You are coming to my show on Sunday night, right?

RedHotRidingHood said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Miss 1929, that is lovely! I wish I could wear 20s and 30s as well as you. I age about 15 years when I try! I love the colors you chose.

I find the 40s to age me a lot! Makes me look fat (ter).
And the fabric is vintage, I dyed the dark part, the light part is the original color.

Behind me on the wall is a portrait taken when I was ... 28 years old... that was 20 years ago...sigh. Nice picture, by Mark Viera, taken with the equipment from Hurrell's studio at MGM.

I also just made a white pique dress, but haven't hemmed it yet and no pics, so I will posty them later.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Miss 1929, I love the way you pull off these beautiful 30s clothing designs! I tryed and cannot wear them to having curves, so I will stick to mainly late 30s and war years clothing. I have yet to see a bad picture of you! I cant wait to see the white pique dress and just and FYI I ordered white pique fabric for a 40s version of what you are making.:D

Samantha

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aw shucks, ladies!

I am pretty pleased with the results! And now that I am back in practice I plan to just keep sewing continuously.
I have to admit I am challenged by certain things like bound buttonholes, they are hard!
I do recommend pique for anyone just starting out, it is super easy to work on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I haven't posted in this thread in ages, but inspired by Miss '29 diving in, I shall do likewise:

3971.jpg

This is Simplicity 3971, copyright 1940 -- a typical day dress of the time, and very practical for work. There's tucks at the bust and waist, although they don't show up especially well in this pic, and slightly puffed sleeves, along with three vertical pleats in the skirt.

I don't make a lot of 4-yard dresses, because I find them a bit swoopier than I like for work, but this one caught my eye and I think it came out well. I used a soft cotton lawn, and an old Bac-A-Belt kit for the self-belt. Came out well, I think -- I'm wearing it tonight to oversee a concert at work.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Lizzie, that's just beautiful, and you were simply made for that style of dress-it suits you so well. Lavender is a fabulous shade for you as well! :eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanks for all the kind words -- it's one of my favorites. It was one of those cases where I'd bought the fabric thinking something would come along someday where I'd use it, and then it sat in a bag on a chair in my kitchen for months before I finally found the pattern to go with it.

I have a couple more recent projects I'll post when I get a chance -- I haven't had much time to sew over the past year, but I'm trying to get back into the habit. There's another project cut out and sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be assembled, and I hope to finish it before I forget why I cut it out.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Lizziemaine, i just have to chime in with the others and say how gorgeous you look.The dress is perfect on you and i am more jealous than i can say that you cam wear lavender as it is one of my favourite colours, but unfortunately, i look dreadful in it. Really, it is the bee's knees:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy