Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
l_a5737bd701f34c8f914badbb834af15e.jpg

They make me look short!
The buttons are navy blue with cute gold anchors on them.
And the pant legs aren't uneven -- it's just the way I'm standing ;)

Those are *perfect.* I've been thinking of making a pair of overalls for doing the heavy cleaning at work, and that's exactly the style I was thinking of.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Amy Jeane - No way do you look short in those- I was thinking how awesome/long and lean. Those are super cute.

SuperKawaiiMama - I'm loving those trousers as well. I have way too much hips for them but I love them on you.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne, I can't believe how far you've progressed in just a month and a half is it? Amazing! I love these and your other items too. It's fun watching your journey, and it is inspiring too! I think, after the new year, I am going to try something myself. Congrats!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls! I've been sewing now since September -- so 3 months! I've only had two very informal lessons from my seamstress friend Heathyr and the book Sewing For Dummies to show me the way. Everything else I figured out on my own by doing it EVERY SINGLE DAY and messing up a lot!

I'm working on a pattern from '37 right now. I'm making it in a fun novelty fabric of pink and grey plaid skulls. It's addicting!

Is it natural to get as good as I have in such a short period of time with so little formal training????

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne: Those overalls are fantastic! the buttons detail looks amazing. Do you have any close up shots of the buttons?

The Shirt: Actually you'd be surprised just how much hips are hidden under there. It is all about having it nipped in at the waist then dropping straight down the moment they graze the top of the hip. All the commercial high waist pants I found made me look huge as they hugged right down my hips.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Amy, I definitely think you're progressing pretty darn fast, especially since you're not in formal training. You don't' even want to see the stuff I made when started sewing :rolleyes:

I'm learning to make men's tailored jackets at work with all the underlayers. Don't have any pics, but it's pretty darn exciting since it's something I've wanted to learn forever. Made two jackets so far and now starting a vest. When the show comes out, if there's any promo pics with things I have made I'll post them here.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
SuperKawaiiMama - I'm loving those trousers as well. I have way too much hips for them but I love them on you.

If I can wear that type of pant you can. :)

Amy Jeane- those overalls are darling. I have started tow pair from that pattern but they are unfinished as I can't yet do button holes. :(

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
DP, this looks great! Could you tell us what pattern it is from? It looks vaguely familiar, and if I have it (and if I don't I'll get it), I'm going to make it now! :D

Sorry It took me so long to answer you. It's Butterick B4919.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren said:
Amy, I definitely think you're progressing pretty darn fast, especially since you're not in formal training. You don't' even want to see the stuff I made when started sewing :rolleyes:

Tell me about it! lol
You look at that stuff now and you say to yourself, "I actually wore that!" :eusa_doh:
But the fun thing is, you get to cannibalize the cool fabric you used when your skills were not so great on much BETTER things down the line. Or at least I did. :rolleyes:

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
wfront-4.jpg
redofront.jpg

The Original and the Altered Version.

You can see the difference in the way the bodice hangs. Man, the alteration so much more comfortable.

alteration1.jpg

I managed to reuse most of the previous front pieces. I just added some onto the facing pieces.

rdeobackdetail.jpg

Here is the piece I added to the back shoulder so I could extend the shoulders a bit.

I do need to add lingerie straps, and Ill do that soon.

All the details can be seen here.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One more :eek:
Ive been updating my leisure wear a bit.

McCall3828front2.jpg
front-47.jpg

Yay Jimjams! This is from a 20s pattern (the shirt) and the bottoms re just drawstring. It was pretty quick to make and the fabric is a herringbone flannel that is so comfy and warm. I would have made the bottoms long, but I ran out of fabric. Maybe Ill add some black along the bottoms and sleeves, then Ill look like a prisoner lol.

This is has go to be one of the easiest dresses Ive ever made. Its such a comfy house dress. I decided to jazz it up with some trims that I have. And when I messed up on the sleeves (the yellow part) I just added yellow buttons.

197946935_o.jpg
front-48.jpg

All details can be seen here.
Yay new clothes!

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
They're all pretty awesome. The brown one is my fave! I love rounded collars and BUTTONS!!!

l_441d84820e624839aa4c3f2c7ef8cdd1.jpg

What I made yesterday.

l_b29950660fa641238f47bd56ea76a081.jpg

Here's the detail -- again, it's not really wonky, I just have a habit of standing very awkwardly in photos. :mad:

1937-1.jpg

I like it so much I bought some "nice" fabric last night to make a more fomal version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot