Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Mrs. Merl said:
What would you say was the best tactic for a tactile shopper when shopping for fabric online? I buy everything by feel. I can look at something form across the room and know what it is made of - but until I touch it I don't know if I will like it. Even fabrics of the same material can feel different. So I have been thinking of trying some online sources for fabric, but am afraid I will have problems not touching the fabrics. Any thoughts/advice?

I'm a very tactile shopper too. That's why I haven't bought much fabric online; well, that and the fact that I'm afraid I won't get the right color. For items that aren't on sale/must-buy-now, swatches are a good bet. Otherwise, like kamikat said, stick with stuff you know.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just wanted to say that I used to be a very tactile shopper, too. However, once you get to know the various online shops, you get to know their products. If you want specialty fabrics or high-end fabrics, the price will motivate you to shop online. I got started shopping online when I was doing historical reenactment. Our unit permitted wool and linen ONLY! The only way we could afford fabric was online and the local shops didn't carry 100% linen in the winter. You'll get hooked when you find super high-end fine, almost sheer Irish linen for $10 per yard or Italian sheer wool for $15.

Cleery

New in Town
Goldwyn Girl, that Christmas skirt is fantastic!

goldwyn girl said:
I haven't been doing a lot of sewing lately, too busy with the house but last week I I made a christmas skirt and with the leftover material from my overalls I made the pant's from the same pattern.
100_1455.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I might have to try it. I just have so many misgivings. But thanks for the advice. Usually, I am looking for super high end fabric (did historical reenactment for years and years too! :) ) Though I have been lucky enough to find gorgeous wool for a dollar a yard around here, so sometimes I just go with fate and wait for the amazing deal.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I'm experienced enough to buy a lot of my fabric online. I buy lots of novelty cottons from fabric.com, Fabric Paradise, and Ladybutton Fabrics, but for other stuff I still prefer to go to Jo-Ann's or Fabric Row. I'm still learning what everything is and how it feels. I'm want to venture into silky materials for some of my next projects :)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Be careful with how you choose your silky materials. I have had a lot of great ideas that took more work than they would have if the right material had been chosen in the first place (like the tango portion of my wedding dress - we never do mock ups - but in this case we actually were forced to do a second iteration when the first material was just not substantial enough to do what we wanted.) But what wonderful things you can turn out with gorgeous silky goodness!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I don't think I'm experienced enough to buy a lot of my fabric online. I buy lots of novelty cottons from fabric.com, Fabric Paradise, and Ladybutton Fabrics, but for other stuff I still prefer to go to Jo-Ann's or Fabric Row. I'm still learning what everything is and how it feels. I'm want to venture into silky materials for some of my next projects :)
Do you have any non-chain fabric stores nearby? They generally have better classes than the chains. Whether you go to an indy or a chain shop, try to go on a quiet day and ask the employees to help you. Another option: take a road trip down to the DC area and I give you a fabric lesson in the famed G Street Fabrics.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just make sure you always pre wash your fabric. Most cottons are heavily starched when they are on a bolt, and can shrink from 2-10% after washing!

With wools, I always assume they are going to shrink, so I either dry clean them, or measure out a swatch and wash it and see its shrinkage, that way I can launder the garment at home.

The last thing you want is a great dress and after a good launder, for bunches and gathers to appear around seams. Ive been there :eek:

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
Do you have any non-chain fabric stores nearby? They generally have better classes than the chains. Whether you go to an indy or a chain shop, try to go on a quiet day and ask the employees to help you. Another option: take a road trip down to the DC area and I give you a fabric lesson in the famed G Street Fabrics.

Oh yes -- Fabric Row. It's about 5 blocks of nothing but fabric and sewing shops on 4th Street in Philly. It's considered "Historical", even! But it's a hassle to get into the city and I don't like going by myself (hubby has no interest) so I'm mostly a Jo-Ann's girl.

As for shrinkage -- I always buy a bit more than what the pattern calls for. Like, if it calls for 4 1/2 yards, I'll buy 5 to be safe. I've noticed some of my materials have shrank several inches :eek: Speaking of which...I'm going fabric shopping tonight or tomorrow. I got 50% off coupons!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
What I did on xmas:

l_d4e2bdaafd8a4f5c89048022f252ea01.jpg

l_4a993cfa985f48df90a2674db146eb0f.jpg

Buttons, fabric, and wonk!

From this:

l_87014743c38848168ec23370cd1102af.jpg

It's supposed to be the skirt on the right, but the instructions confused me a little so I just made stuff up as I went along. I'm not really happy with the result. The fabric sucked (polyester) -- I even burned it at one point :( I hate the wonky button closure. It turns into a V at the top. I also made it all reversed for some reason. Ahhhh welll.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
That 30s skirt is utterly amazing - I love the asymmetry and the buttons! I need one too. I suppose it would be dead easy to size down since it's just slim and straight?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls!

l_8aa20e98b9e742dea2d8ff4cae0311c1.jpg

l_cde6979a544e4916bfe0e773190d42d3.jpg

The skirt never skims the hips like the pattern picture!!! I actually think it looks better on me this way. And the skirt pieces weren't as long as the pattern picture -- I actually only have about a 1 inch hem here.

l_0e17cbeb63e84d379d6ce27122c17b30.jpg

I *LOVE* this dress! There's ZERO mistakes on it! All the pattern pieces fell perfectly into place and the instructions were a breeze (Decades Of Style)! The fit is perfect. I did very good with the zipper (no zipper bumps!) It's so 30s. I love it.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Thank you Lady Day :) Your jammies look so snuggly warm.

Amy Jeanne, thank you, I love your newest dress.

Thank you Cleery :)

Miss Dottie, I used the Eva Dress copy of this pattern, both the pants and the overalls are very easy.
3322PR.jpg

I have heard great things about those patterns and your positive review has just upped them on my post baby sewing queue.

Thanks GG!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amy Jeanne said:
Thanks girls!

l_8aa20e98b9e742dea2d8ff4cae0311c1.jpg

l_cde6979a544e4916bfe0e773190d42d3.jpg

The skirt never skims the hips like the pattern picture!!! I actually think it looks better on me this way. And the skirt pieces weren't as long as the pattern picture -- I actually only have about a 1 inch hem here.

l_0e17cbeb63e84d379d6ce27122c17b30.jpg

I *LOVE* this dress! There's ZERO mistakes on it! All the pattern pieces fell perfectly into place and the instructions were a breeze (Decades Of Style)! The fit is perfect. I did very good with the zipper (no zipper bumps!) It's so 30s. I love it.
What a gorgeous pattern that is. They always exaggerate the length in 30s pattern illustrations, since I like my skirts long, I always add 6" and work it up from there. But it's really cute that shorter length too! Maybe a lighter weight material would have the drape, but the crips matarial works great too. So cute!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Do we share failures, too? Today, I'm sharing a dress that just doesn't work for me, so I'm not bothering to finish it. I'll probably hang onto it for a couple months, in case I change my mind. I think I just need to stick to 50's styles, as I know they work for me. To me, this isn't horrible, but just does nothing for me.
3156518534_5fbbb58592.jpg

3153866704_3ed0c223ca.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails