Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Totally agree- some imports aren't bad at all. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like all were. (and I edited this cause I think I was getting a little too close to political talk)

I find a lot of time with sewing that I'm more particular about my own work than even clients are. I'll nitpick things to death! I still do industry shortcuts like blind hemming on machine, etc, but when something comes out woobly I'll get really mad at myself and usually either throw it in the scrap heap or sell it online, where I know there's people who are a lot less fussy than me! Do you gals notice that when you sew you notice a lot more about construction and fit of things in the store? I totally do! When I bought a shirt the other day, like I mentioned, I pulled all of my size off the rack and compared all the seam finishing on the ruffles! lol Thankfully I'm not so OCD in every area of my life...

Lily Powers

Practically Family
When I was a little girl, my mom made my clothes for me. We had such fun going to pick out fabrics and patterns. Sadly, she died before I learned (or really appreciated) the skill of sewing (or how to make her fried chicken, but I digress). I absolutely love all the clothes you ladies make. Lauren, I know exactly what dress in The Women inspired you for that hooded dream and that's the straw (or thread) that broke the camel's back, so to speak, and now I'm just itching to learn to sew. Actually, if I don't get off the computer and get back to work now, I'll have much more free time for learning that than I want. :eek:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: I've noticed that I do this in my everday life from different professions I've worked in. I used to be a painters prepper for houses and caulked and puttied doors and floor boards, so I notice all the bad jobs. I havent ran conduit as in electrician in a few years although that is my current field, but I'll notice the conduits in open work, how the light fixtures are hanging etc. lol

Lauren said:
Totally agree- some imports aren't bad at all. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like all were. (and I edited this cause I think I was getting a little too close to political talk)

I find a lot of time with sewing that I'm more particular about my own work than even clients are. I'll nitpick things to death! I still do industry shortcuts like blind hemming on machine, etc, but when something comes out woobly I'll get really mad at myself and usually either throw it in the scrap heap or sell it online, where I know there's people who are a lot less fussy than me! Do you gals notice that when you sew you notice a lot more about construction and fit of things in the store? I totally do! When I bought a shirt the other day, like I mentioned, I pulled all of my size off the rack and compared all the seam finishing on the ruffles! lol Thankfully I'm not so OCD in every area of my life...

Shirin

A-List Customer
Lauren said:
T Do you gals notice that when you sew you notice a lot more about construction and fit of things in the store? .

Yes! Its often said (by seamstresses)you can tell the quality of a garment when the inside is as well constructed as the outside. This is especially true with couture, if you look at the insides of those high end garments, there (generally) isn't a thread out of place, lots of hand sewing and everything is "finished" beautifully. I haven't shopped since the beginning of the year, but when I was looking at gowns, I was checking the insides for loose seam threads and lining problems, I did find some with problems, but those were all on the Sale rack after who knows how many people had tried them on.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Do you gals notice that when you sew you notice a lot more about construction and fit of things in the store? I totally do!

Ha ha I totally do. Sometimes when I'm on the subway and I see a girl wearing an expensive brand plaid or striped jacket, I always check to see if the pattern matches up! Or if I'm in an expensive department store, sometimes I look at the inside construction. "What they want X dollars for that! It's not even lined!"

Lauren

Ok, I finished the suit jacket I was working on. A short break, then on to the skirt. There's more pics and such here and here.
suit015.jpg

Shirin

A-List Customer
Oh Lauren that is magnificent! I like the Dove Gray, I wish I could wear that color.
Can I ask dumb question?
I've been scouring the internet on how to do click-able links, like the ones you just did, and I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to do that. Would you please PM me and set me straight on how that works? Please?

Foofoogal

Banned
Sometimes when I'm on the subway and I see a girl wearing an expensive brand plaid or striped jacket, I always check to see if the pattern matches up!

this is so funny as it is one of the main things I look for on this thread when people show their stuff. In homemaking eons ago I had a time trying to match plaid and never forgot it. lol so I really love when I see it done right on here.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
Oh Lauren that is magnificent! I like the Dove Gray, I wish I could wear that color.
Can I ask dumb question?
I've been scouring the internet on how to do click-able links, like the ones you just did, and I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to do that. Would you please PM me and set me straight on how that works? Please?

If you start to reply, then see the little button at the top of the comment box with a little world and a chain? Click on that and enter the URL and the words you want it to say when prompted, and voila!

Fabulous Lauren, as always. You better take a thousand pictures of the trip, or else! lol

Lauren

Thanks, gals! :) Yay! I love suits but they are such a pain. I'm glad this came out ok, I was worried about ruining the lovely fabric since it doesn't have as much "spring" as wool does.
Fleur, I promise to take lots of pics! I'm borrowing my dad's nice camera so we'll get decent shots. I wish you were going!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Do you gals notice that when you sew you notice a lot more about construction and fit of things in the store? I totally do! When I bought a shirt the other day, like I mentioned, I pulled all of my size off the rack and compared all the seam finishing on the ruffles!

Ohhhh yes. "Wait, this one's a little wonky...hey, these are going to start fraying after one wash!" lol I'll go through a whole rack of identical styles to get the one with the nicest details.

swinggal

One Too Many
I made the vintage overalls a few years back but forgot to post a pic. I used black linen which falls really well. I also made the legs wider than the pattern and used vintage mother of pearl buttons.

They are sooooo comfy in linen and I wear them dancing quite a lot. I want to make lightweight denim pair too. This pic was taken at a 'Black and White' swing dance where I made them a little bit more dressy with one of my original 1930s satin shirts.

3710171840_6be696c3cf.jpg

Coralee

New in Town
Overalls Pattern?

For everyone making overalls, what pattern are you using? They look so great on everyone I'd like to try to make a pair for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy