Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Federation bashes:

Stoney

Practically Family
citRon said:
Stoney- that hat is awesome! I love it! By the way, can you show us some picsof your Tawny Fed? -I'm ordering one of those today, although they're backordered 2 months :mad:

This is my Tawny Fawn Federation. It's been modified slightly by trimming the brim down to 2 1/2" front and rear and 2 1/4" on the sides keeping the dimensional brim, just smaller. I flanged it to change the flat brim into a snap brim. The bash and snap brim are very similar to those on some of my older Borsalinos. The overall look that I was going for is that of a post WWII era hat.

fed-flanged.jpg

metropd

One Too Many
I think that has a much more early 30's look than post ww2look. Post ww2 was low crown wide brim with a teardrop or diamond block. I will say I have seen that hat syle after the war especially in England and the low crown teardrop/diamond block with a wide brim starting in the early 20's. I'm just speaking of when these styles were most popular or well known. The Federation style you blocked looks to me like English pre- ww2 middle-class gentlemen's hat.

Stoney

Practically Family
metropd said:
I think that has a much more early 30's look than post ww2look. Post ww2 was low crown wide brim with a teardrop or diamond block. I will say I have seen that hat syle after the war especially in England and the low crown teardrop/diamond block with a wide brim starting in the early 20's. I'm just speaking of when these styles were most popular or well known. The Federation style you blocked looks to me like English pre- ww2 middle-class gentlemen's hat.

Sorry to disagree Metropod, I have two Borsalinos, a Steston and a Stevens from that time frame that match this hat very closely in brim width crown height and overall look. I actually matched the bash to one of the Borsalinos. Check out some pictures of Howard Hughes during this time frame. He sported hats very similar to this one.

Edit: On second thought, Metropod... The overall style of this hat could be both, or neither. There are only so many variations of style for a fedora. It is hard to nail this down as many of the individual traits are found again from one era to another. One of the things that I really like about vintage hats is trying to guess when the hat was produced. It can be quite challenging at times.

J.T.,

I did this myself. The Federation felt is thin and quite lightweight compared to most of my vintage hats, which I have to use a steam iron on to perform the same job. After the brim was trimmed and sanded, I placed the crown in the flange then steamed the brim lightly in small sections. It took about three complete rotations of the flange before the brim was laying down nicely all the way around. The snap brim works fine.

citRon

A-List Customer
indycop said:
The Tawhy Fawn is fast becoming my favorite Federation! I'm gonna have to get me one! Great job Stoney!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Better hurry up and order...the price goes up EVERY day!

Stoney

Practically Family
Very Sharp

You did a great job on that diamond bash. The key to making it look great is getting the bevel leading down into the crown straight. You nailed it dead on!

That is an excellent looking Federation.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for the nice comments on my Fed guys!

OK who's next?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo